A couple of months ago, the iThemes team talked about the future of Builder and set some short-term and long-term goals. One of the long-term goals was to make a big push for making Builder easier to use. A big part of this drive towards making Builder easier to use is to rebuild each of the settings and editor screens, to offer a section with easy-to-use basic options that most users need and and a section with more advanced options. This decision to divide each area into basic and advanced sections will allow us to focus on making greatly simplified interfaces that will help users make needed changes quickly while still offering more complex options for the intermediate to advanced users.
Today, I’d like to share a sneak peak of this new approach as I work on rebuilding Builder’s Settings screen.
These are some of the key elements of this redesign:
- Use the tab design found in the Appearance > Themes menu to offer the basic and advanced settings pages. This approach is used to prevent the menu from growing too large.
- The settings have been divided into logical groups. Each group is placed inside a collapsible box that can be moved around. Since the boxes will remember their position and closed state, this makes it easier for users to hide away settings that they don’t need or rarely modify.
- More description must be used to clarify the purpose of each setting.
- Existing options that may be difficult to understand should be rethought to allow for ease of understanding.
- Options should be simplified as much as possible while still allowing flexibility.
Some observant readers may have noticed the “Import / Export” portion at the top of the preview image. Yes, importing and exporting settings is in the works as part of this new settings page.
Please share your comments, critiques, praises, criticisms, etc you have for the new design in the comments below.