Now let’s get you updated!
As you might have noticed, we’re pretty excited about today’s release of BackupBuddy 3.0. If your site is one of the 188,396 currently running BackupBuddy, we’re committed to making your upgrade to 3.0 as smooth and seamless as possible.
Since BackupBuddy 3.0 is a major version update, all current BackupBuddy customers will need to manually update to 3.0.
BackupBuddy 3.0 is an entirely new plugin with significant changes from the 2.X series. We’ve spent months testing and refining this new version on a wide variety of hosting platforms, but as with any major software revision, there is always the potential for bugs. We want to catch and fix these fast, before they have a chance to affect a wide portion of our community. This “soft-launch” allows us to slowly roll out the new version BackupBuddy while ensuring that we have ample resources available to support our customers and as they make the jump to 3.0.
We realize a manual update takes more time, so we appreciate your patience during this initial launch period. We do expect to offer automatic upgrades from 2.0 to 3.0 in the near feature, and once you have manually updated to 3.0, all future updates for 3.0+ will be released as automatic updates.
Here are a few instructions for upgrading that we hope will make this process easier:
- Make sure you’ve made a recent backup.
- Download, install, and activate our Easy Theme and Plugin Updater plugin. This plugin was developed by our team for easier plugin (and theme) updates via the Plugins > Add New > Upload page.
- Login to your iThemes Member Panel and download the BackupBuddy – 3.0 (zip) from your list of subscriptions.
- Login to your WordPress site. From The WordPress dashboard, click Plugins > Add New > Upload.
- Select the BackupBuddy 3.0 (zip) file to install.
- Select “Yes” from the “Upgrade existing theme?” option.
- Click “Install Now.” BackupBuddy will now be updated to 3.0.
These two videos walk step-by-step through the upgrade process:
Note: Please visit the BackupBuddy support forum if you’re having issues upgrading. Our support team is ready to help.