BackupBuddy Multisite is a BETA feature of BackupBuddy. Subsite Import and Export seem to be quite solid at this point. Migrating an entire network however is still solidly in the beta stage and we do not recommend migrating an entire network unless you are experienced and willing to manually handle issues you run into along the way. We do not recommend migrating a Network to a new URL unless you are willing to manually update various URLs as Network migrations currently do not support upgrading subsite URLs.
As of version 2.2.14, the single BackupBuddy product contains BOTH the standard BackupBuddy AND the new BackupBuddy Multisite Beta. Your single BackupBuddy does it all!
Getting BackupBuddy Multisite
BackupBuddy Backup Plugin
BackupBuddy's IMPORTBUDDY.PHP File
The importbuddy.php file, which is the awesome file that helps you MIGRATE/RESTORE your BackupBuddy backups, now has a BETA version also that is used when you want to migrate or restore your BackupBuddy Multisite backups. You must use the BETA importbuddy.php to restore/migrate any BackupBuddy Multisite backup file.
- Here is an image of your BackupBuddy --> Backup & Restore area, where the latest BETA importbuddy.php download link is:
Installing BackupBuddy Multisite
Since BackupBuddy Multisite BETA is now part of BackupBuddy, the Installation steps are now integrated and the differences explained in the standard BackupBuddy Installation section.
Running Backup, Migrating OR Restoring with BackupBuddy Multisite BETA
Here is an actual video, from one of our many webinars (we have many regular webinars planned), with details on how to migrate or restore with BackupBuddy:
How To Copy, Clone or Duplicate a Sub-Site
Before you begin, ensure that BackupBuddy is enabled for multisite as detailed earlier within this codex.
1. Within the Multisite Network Admin panel, create your "template" subsite in the usual manner.
2. Visit the dashboard of your template subsite and and configure it with the needed theme, plugins, categories, etc.
3. Under the BackupBuddy menu, click "Duplicate (Beta)."
4. Enter a name to duplicate your "template" site into.
5. Click "Duplicate Site."
6. All done!
Frequently Asked Questions
WordPress Multisite Domain Mapping and BackupBuddy Multisite
BackupBuddy Multisite works perfectly with WordPress Multisite Domain Mapping. Here is a detailed video of what is possible and how it's exactly done (better to see something in addition to reading about it too ;) ):
Limitations of Multisite
There are 2 limitations (and for good reasons) in WordPress Multisite itself which BackupBuddy of course goes through automatically:
- 1 : If your multisite install is sub-domain based, you cannot migrate or restore to a sub-directory within your web root.
- 2 : You cannot change from sub-domains to sub-directories using BackupBuddy Multisite. You can not use BackupBuddy to migrate from a sub-domain based install to sub-directories or vice-versa.
- 3 : You can not move a Network in or out of a subdirectory with BackupBuddy normally; this feature is only available for standalone sites and exported Multisite subsites. Ie http://yoursite.com/mynetwork/ to http://newsite.com/ or vice-versa. If you attempt to do so then only the main site / network URLs will be updated to reflect this. There is a feature on the BackupBuddy Server Information page to do mass URL replacements which you may use to manually update URLs of subsites if you must have this functionality.
The following are known issues of BackupBuddy Multisite:
- 1 : You can not currently migrate a Multiste installation to a sub-directory, or migrate a Multisite installation based in a sub-directory back to the root of the domain. We are currently working on enabling this feature.
- 2: If you migrate an entire Network to a new URL, subsite URLs will NOT be automatically updated to the new URL. This is a technical limitation. You must do these manually or by using the Server Information page's Mass database text replace tool per site.
All BackupBuddy Multisite support questions can be asked in the official BackupBuddy Multisite Forums.
All non-Multisite related BackupBuddy support questions can be asked in the official BackupBuddy Forums.
All BackupBuddy Pre-Sales questions, for Multisite OR non-Multisite backups and restores/migrations, can be asked on the Pre-Sales Forums, via the Live Chat (the Panda icon on top of Get BackupBuddy Multisite page), or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org