Builder Child Themes
In version 2.7, child themes have been introduced in WordPress. Using Child themes, you can modify (override) all aspects of a Parent theme (e.g. the stylesheet, page templates, functions) without risking to lose any modifications when upgrading the parent theme.
Listed below are the child themes of Builder that can be downloaded from the member's area (latest at the top):
List of child themes
A handcrafted look and feel – perfect for any special project or site. You'll love the Google Web Font (Rancho) that gives titles a special flair and draws people in to your site. From the stay-at-home blogging mom to the business looking for a softer, more subtle design, Patterned is a great choice for your next Builder child theme!
Traverse features a high contrast design and bold styling intended to showcase content for travel blogs. Stories and photos from your adventures will be framed perfectly by Traverse.
Acute is a clean business theme, perfect for giving your site a professional, polished look. Currently it is in gray and blue, there will be 4 more color options released soon.
With Acute you will find custom styled (default) widgets; integrated support for Slideshow and Accordion (2 plugins from the DisplayBuddy suite); image grid, portfolio and magazine extensions; plus a new custom portfolio extension – only available with Acute.
Kepler is a portfolio style theme - perfect for showcasing photography, graphic design, and art. It is characterized by simple, easy to read typography, and a focus on images.
Singular - the simple, clean theme with all the flexibility inherent in iThemes Builder.
Release Date: August 9, 2011
The theme developers described the unique features of the theme on iThemes.tv. You can watch the specific segment here:
Release Date: August 3, 2011
- beautifully designed blockquotes with dropcap styling to give that extra flare and distinction.
- fresh, new category and comment icons to make your meta data stand out.
- featured image usage on blog layout
- great typography, including the "Brawler" Google font for the headlines
- Simple Blogroll Layout
- Feature Image Usage
- Unique Styled Archives
- Two Alternate Widget Styles
- Uniquely Styled Comment Section
- Default WordPress Gallery Colorbox Pop Up
- Hot, Summery Colors
- and Built In Gravity Forms Styles
A light and subtle, yet dramatic theme.
- unique fonts and font styling on the nav bar and headlines tags
- multi-shaded lavender color scheme
- ribbon graphics for added flair and elegance
- styling of the author meta data
- other stylish graphics being used throughout the theme
- Retro Styled Theme – making Retro the new Contemporary.
- 'Dancing Script' Google Font, providing a super-easy way to have a unique titles and headlines without slowing your site down with heavy graphics.
- Magazine Layout Builder Extension – so you can take advantage of the ease of using Builder with the visual sophistication of a magazine layout.
- ContactBuddy and GravityForms Styles (Extensions) built in – so once you install the specific plugins, you will have access to the advanced styling without having to touch any code.
- Alternate HTML modules – so you can have different looking HTML modules without having to change the css code.
A quite stunning in its bold-yet-minimalist style. Similar to its related (sister?) theme Covell, Covert uses a minimalist, monochromatic style, but one that allows photographers and artists to display their work in a more dramatic and darker style.
Covert also includes 2 distinct navigation styles, making it easy to portray just the amount of "minimalism" you want, as well as the custom projects post type, making project organization and display a snap.
Some of the other features that make this theme special:
- Unique Navigation Styles – Fixed Left and Top Navigation
- Encased Content Module – Content Module is ‘encased’ within the layout making it stand out from the other modules.
Some of the special features included in Lucky 7:
- 7 awesome color palettes – which can be further customized using the Style Manager plugin – giving you a professional look with virtually no effort
- The ability to select a different color for individual modules – making it easy to super-customize each portion of the page
- Beautiful meta blocks for author info – making your site (and your authors) stand out from the crowd
- Inset widgets and navigation for a unique, professional look
- Additional custom theme settings, such as a simple setting to change the “read more” text, giving your site a special touch without having to know anything about code
- Built-in iPhone-ready mobile theme
- and popular rounded corners
Ionic – Sky
Ionic – Green
Americana - Mojave (Release Date: January 21, 2011)
Americana - Libertas (Release Date: January 21, 2011)
Americana - Interstate (Release Date: January 21, 2011)
4 more themes in Foundation series
Foundation - WordPress theme for Churches and Ministries
This is another theme in the restaurant series, with a little bit of a pub twist.
This is a child theme associated with Restaurant Block.
How to rename a child theme
1. Edit Theme Name in child theme's style.css.
Theme Name: Builder Child Theme - Default
Theme Name: My Awesome Theme
You can also change other values like Theme URI, Description, Author etc.
DO NOT delete or change
2. Change the name of child theme directory to your liking.
Ensure that there are no spaces in the name of child theme directory.
How to update a child theme
It is generally not recommended to update a child theme after it has been extensively customized.
However, if you would like to, follow these steps:
- Take a full backup of your site using BackupBuddy
- Make a list of changes and addition/deletions done to files and foldes in the current child theme directory
- Download the latest version of child theme, edit its style.css, change the theme name in the comments section at the top, change the theme folder name to something else. For details, see the above section on How to rename a child theme
- Re-apply the changes noted in step 2 to this theme
- Zip it up, install and activate this new theme
- Check the site and ensure that everything is alright. You can use a plugin like Theme Test Drive to see the site in older version of this child theme in another tab/browser