|(One intermediate revision by one user not shown)|
|Line 30:||Line 30:|
Revision as of 11:31, July 19, 2013
Before You Begin: Make a Backup
It is highly recommended to take a full backup of your Builder powered site using BackupBuddy before upgrading.
- Make sure that you have first upgraded any Builder-related plugins in use such as Style Manager, Builder SEO and Builder Blocks to their latest versions before attempting to upgrade Builder.
- Ensure that you are not using Builder (core/parent) as your site's active theme. Otherwise, customizations and changes you might have done to Builder files will be lost during upgrade. You must always use a child theme of Builder as your site's active theme.
Use the Easy Theme and Plugin Upgrades Plugin
The easiest way to upgrade Builder and any WordPress plugin is by using Easy Theme and Plugin Upgrades plugin. Created by lead Builder developer Chris Jean, this plugin allows you to easily update themes (like Builder) and plugins without having to manually delete your current version of the theme or plugin before uploading a new version.
- Download, install and activate the Easy Theme and Plugin Upgrades plugin.
- Go to Appearance -> Themes. Click on Install Themes, then Upload.
- Browse to and locate the zip file of the latest Builder that you downloaded from member panel. Change the Upgrade existing theme? setting to Yes and click Install Now button.
- Once the theme has been successfully installed, return to themes page. Do not activate Builder as you should always be using a child theme of Builder as your active theme and not Builder directly.
- Builder can also be upgraded by replacing the existing Builder directory with the one extracted from the latest zip file using a FTP client or cPanel file manager. The advantage of using Easy Theme and Plugin Upgrades plugin is that it takes a backup of whatever is being replaced.
- If you have made extensive customizations to your child theme, visit the Updating Custom Child Themes section first.