Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

Builder for developers vs. non-developers

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_TjM_*

Guest_TjM_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2010 - 02:53 PM

I’m deciding whether to purchase Builder, and so far it looks amazing in terms of 1) creating fully customizable layouts for any kind of page, and 2) an easy-to-use options/control panel that lets you instantly create your layouts AND without needing any real technical web skills .
When it comes to look and feel though, my initial orientation with Builder leads me to believe you still have to dig into the code (CSS, etc.). So, it’s interesting that Builder’s main feature is offering an “anyone can do it” layout engine—but stops there, because that’s only half of building a website’s appearance. It seems if you want to complete the site, i.e. look and feel, you still need to be code savvy.
Why doesn’t Builder go all the way? It seems, it’s still a developer’s tool at the end of the day. And if you’re a developer, why do you really need all the layout automation since you’ve got skills anyway? And in conclusion, it seems that non-developers should just use the Flexx theme, despite Builder’s really cool layout building features.
Just my thoughts. I’d love any clarity or “setting straight” information about this. Thanks, and keep up the great work!

#2 sarah

sarah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: Builder, All Themes
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:19 PM

Hi, TjM -
Thanks for your post.
For those who don't have CSS and coding skill, we have a couple of different solutions. One being the usage of child themes. We currently have 4 child themes you can use with Builder to give it the style and design without doing it from scratch. These first 4 come with the purchase of Builder.
The second we are still working on - but it will be a simple style manager that you can use to give Builder a basic design WITHOUT needing code skills. More specific color and style customizations will still require CSS knowledge. The style manager is being worked on right now and one of our top priorites for update releases in Builder.

So as for "why doesn't Builder go all the way"? Because if we tried to do everything in the initial release - it would never be released!! We would still be working on it. Instead we released a great web development tool that graphic designers and web developers can take advantage of right now. Those without code skills can use the child themes we have (and we will be making more) or use the style manager we hope to release in the near future.

And hey, you're absolutely right. Flexx is still a great theme. And if you don't need Builder's "really cool layout building features" then stick with Flexx! It's still a powerful theme.
But if you really do look forward to Builder's layout freedom then buy it now, use a child theme, and you'll automatically receive the style manager when it comes out.

Thanks for sharing!