Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

Support during Holidays:

During the Holidays (Dec. 22 - Jan. 2) our support staff will spend well-deserved time with their families and loved ones.

We can not guarantee the same level of support that you are used to.

Moderators will check in on the support forum, but response times may be longer than expected.

Your iThemes support team wishes you happy holidays!

Magic Quotes - Depreciated???

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 homebuildr

homebuildr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:30 PM

I ran ServerBuddy and noticed a "fail" message regarding "MagicQuotes"

During my research on the php.net site

Re: Magic Quotes - "This feature has beenDEPRECATEDas of PHP 5.3.0. Relying on this feature is highly discouraged."

Thought I'd get your take?

Thxs ~ David

#2 Josh

Josh

Ithemes Developer

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, BackupBuddy, Flexx
  • 2,778 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:19 PM

Hi,

Well the issue with magic quotes is that the bad out weighs the good. You can look around the internet and see that this is problematic in most cases. Check out this article <a class="sfcode" href="http://aaroncameron.net/article.html?aID=59" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">here</a>(a little outdated but still mostly relevant). If its deprecated in the first place then its probably the safest to avoid that feature.

Thanks!

Josh
Hey if you haven't looked at the iThemes codex check it out here!
There are some plugin walkthrough videos on our youtube channel check it out!

#3 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 13,934 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:21 AM

Just looking at a few posts and came across this one.

I think maybe the question was perhaps more one of interpretation of what a Server Buddy FAIL means.

Generally people are asked to go and look at what Server Buddy tells them and things that FAIL are potentially things that may be _stopping_ some plugin such as BackupBuddy from working (for example a FAIL on the max execution time settings implies that 30 is too low and it would be better to have a higher value).

In this case the interpretation of the FAIL is really just that (as pointed out by HomeBuildR) this option shouldn't be used and so if a host has it set ON then they shouldn't really - it's not anything that should prevent or enable any iThemes plugin from working (AFAIK) as I assume there is no reliance on this deprecated feature for the reasons you mention.

I imagine a host is keeping this on in some belief that it will secure them against badly written code that could be exploited - true or not.

Whether or not it is appropriate for Server Buddy to indicate the setting of this as a OK or FAIL is open to question - it just has whatever value it has. Probably Server Buddy should only be making a OK/FAIL call on items that potentially directly affect the ability of an iThemes plugin to do what it says on the tin or at least should make it very clear for the General Server Check what FAILs mean for each item marked as FAIL.

Just my opinion.

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."