Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

Please Note:

The iThemes offices will be closed Thursday Nov. 27 and Friday Nov. 28 for Thanksgiving.

Support will be limited, as we allow our support staff to spend some well deserved time off with their families. The iThemes Support team wishes you a great Thanksgiving weekend.

Can builder be applied to any wordpress theme, including the many freely available ones?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_john_*

Guest_john_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:12 AM

Hi
a few questions as i'm trying to understand how builder works exactly:
(i) i buy my own domain names so i want to apply my own domain name to a wordpress style site - i don't want to have a site called http://yoursite.wordpress.com - i want http://yourdomain.com - so can you apply your own domain name within Builder theme. Currently i use Wordpress Direct(WPD) which i can do this with, but i don't have the capacity in WPD to do custom layouts like you can with Builder - so i'm wondering if i can dump WPD and just have Builder do everything i need?
(ii) Can you apply a builder layout to any Wordpress Theme? I understand from your video presentation how to change the layouts to be whatever you want it to be which is great and very flexible, exactly what i need - but can these builder layouts be applied to all wordpress themes, i.e. to all the freely available wordpress themes - or do i need to choose from the ones that you guys supply when purchasing Builder theme?
(iii) And following on from question (ii) if i do need to use your themes, and i don't like the look of any of them, do i then need to purchase more themes from you - and if so, how much would those be? - i need to look at the overall costs involved here.

Appreciate your help.
John

#2 Ronald

Ronald

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Moderators, Webdesign
  • 31,121 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 01:20 PM

Hi John,
Builder IS a theme, and should be installed as such. So anywhere you have the ability to upload your own WordPress theme is all you need to install Builder.
Different looks of Builder can be created by using Child themes. Currently, there are five different Child themes for Builder.
More on Builder in this Webinar that might explain more about Builder as well. In the members support area, there is also an increasing number of video tutorials on various aspects of Builder,
Hope this helps, and clarifies,Ronald

Join the iThemes Builder Community on Google+.

To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. Please also read the forum guidelines.

When asking your question/posting your request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter your request, the more to the point, the more specific, the easier it will be for us to try and help out.

#3 Guest_IMStrong_*

Guest_IMStrong_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:12 PM

Having WP Direct should not effect your ability to configure your theme.
You would do that in the wp-admin dashboaed anyway, not in the WP Direct user interface.
If you are a Free WP Direct user, you'll have to FTP the theme to your server aand then activate it in wp-admin under Appearances>>Themes.
If you are a paid member of WP Direct, you can upload a .zip file of your theme in the My Files section. You would then apply it to whichever blog you choose from the My Files section.
Once the theme is on the new site, configure it in wp-admin. All the links should be on the left hand control panel there.