iBuilder on multisite?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_sub001_*

Guest_sub001_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:53 AM

Apologies if this has been asked (I tried searching, but no success). My question is: does iBuilder work on a multisite installation?

Specifically, I'm interested in the ability of each blog admin to create their own design using iBuilder that would work for their blog only. I guess, there are two things here:

• Can each blog admin create/save/modify their own design?
  • Once they create their own design, will they have also access to all other designs created by admins on other blogs on the same multisite installation? If yes, can this access to other designs be prevented so that each blog admin sees only their own design?
Hope my questions are clear. Thank you in advance for your answer.

#2 Chris Jean

Chris Jean

Code Monkey

• Administrators
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:00 PM

Builder works properly on multisite installs, but it does not provide any special features for multisite installs.

So, each site admin will get access to the full range of Builder features and functionality, but the information (such as layouts) will not be shared across the sites.

#3 Guest_sub001_*

Guest_sub001_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:55 AM

Thanks. Site admin is clear. What can blog admins do / have access to?

#4 Chris Jean

Chris Jean

Code Monkey

• Administrators
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:37 AM

I'm not quite sure how you are using the terms site admin and blog admin.

In Multisite, there are two levels of admins: super admins (have admin control over the network of sites) and site admins (have admin control over one or more sites but not the network). As mentioned before, Builder doesn't have any special treatment for multisite, so an admin is an admin whether that admin is a site admin or a super admin.

Specifically, the editors in Builder use the switch_themes capability. So, any user that has the ability to switch the theme on the site will also have the ability to modify Builder layouts, settings, etc.

#5 Guest_sub001_*

Guest_sub001_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:54 AM

Thanks for your reply and sorry for the confusion with names (I used site admin for your Super Admin and blog admin for your Site Admin; I will use your terms from now on).

I understand your explanation that "any user that has the ability to switch the theme on the site will also have the ability to modify Builder layouts, settings, etc."

What I would like to know is whether they will be modifying each their own site's layouts/settings/etc. or one common set that is the same for the entire network.

Example: 3 sites on one multisite, each site has its own site admin.

Once each admin goes to modify the ayout/settings/etc., will the multisite end up with 3 different layouts or just 1? If 3 different layouts, will the site admins have access to all 3 (even if they control only one site each) or just their own?

What I'm looking for is a solution that will enable each site admin on the multisite to create their own look & feel, but not have their layout/settings/etc. shared across the mutlisite.

Hope my question is clear. Thanks!

#6 Chris Jean

Chris Jean

Code Monkey

• Administrators
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:19 PM

There is no sharing of theme settings, layouts, etc between any of the sites. Each multisite site is completely standalone. No user on any site will be able to see, access, use, or modify any of the settings or layouts on any other site.