nancyeb01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: All Plugins
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationWayland, Massachusetts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:12 AM

http://www.greenhatdog.com â a personal site I created for fun.

Uses the theme Ionic green. Feel free to offer tips on links and resources that should be added to the site!

- Nancy Boyle

Millbrook Creative

Edited by Nancyb, 16 February 2011 - 08:09 AM.

#2 Linda Fisher

Linda Fisher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:37 PM

Hi Nancy,

I really like your concept. I'd like to do something similar for my dog site, creating products for the purpose of donating proceeds to animal groups. Any advice on that? Thanks.

Here is my site. It's currently a static site but I'm planning to convert to WP using Builder.

http://www.mostlymutts.com

Edited by Linda Fisher, 16 February 2011 - 07:40 AM.

#3 nancyeb01

nancyeb01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: All Plugins
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationWayland, Massachusetts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:00 PM

Hi Linda,

What a great site! You have so much information. I think you might organize it so that it is easier to navigate.

I would suggest creating a main navigation of no more than 5-6 topics that are your main focus. Under that, or as secondary links from the main, you can delve down to the next level.

On the left nav for example you have Maltese and also Dog Breeds. I would have Breeds (since the whole site is about dogs and you don't need to repeat that) with all the breeds under that.

I would also try to get a good copywriter to go over your text. Fix spelling and grammar errors, reduce it to be concise. Maybe break it up a bit with bullet lists, bold paragraph headings, etc. I thought the blue text were links as is a standard practice so you may want to make them links or use a different emphasis color.

I would take this paragraph: "We love mutts, hence, our name, but we also love purebred dogs. We believe every dog deserves a
            warm loving home whether he has a mile long pedigree or his only paperwork is the newpaper on your
            floor. You'll find fun and helpful information on both at Mostly Mutts. " and make it the main lead in to the home page. and rewrite the header.

so

<span style="font-size: xx-small"><span style="color: #0000ff">MOSTLY MUTTS - A FUN AND HELPFUL
      GUIDE TO EVERYTHING DOG</span></span>

We love mutts! And we also love purebred dogs. We believe every dog deserves a
            warm, loving home whether he has a mile long pedigree or his only paperwork is the newpaper on your
            floor. You'll find fun and helpful information on both at Mostly Mutts.

Pick a fun child theme and I think that will be an improvement. Also, I suggest installing Firefox toolbar Web Rank. You will see how your site ranks, and how many back links you have.

Hope that helps for a start.

Best, Nancy

#4 Linda Fisher

Linda Fisher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:41 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. The nav bar is something I planned on working on. I usually write a buch of tier 3s, then add my tier 2 and list them under that. I am currently working on the nav bar on another site, then will do my dog site. The blue text is going to be links, just haven't written the pages yet.

Good idea on switching around the opening paragraph. Will implement that.

Need to take a good look at my text once again. I write as a profession and usually am so obsessive on grammar and spelling. In fact, bad spelling and grammar are a real pet peeve. I do tend to be wordy. Usually never say anything in 10 words when I can do it in 50. Need to work on that.

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users