BackBuddy PreSales Questions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_Randy Kepple_*

Guest_Randy Kepple_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:54 PM

Hey guys! BackupBuddy has gotten rave reviews and I've had it in my cart twice, ready to pull the plug when I stopped. I have some questions about what it can and can't do. No need to waste money on another plugin that comes close, but never crosses the line. I'm hopeful that BackupBuddy is as robust as advertised!

I manage a collaborate blog with 20 authors. We need to migrate our entire blog to a new server within the same hosting company. In addition to moving our SQL database and all that information, we also have a date check PHP script that needs to be migrated.

I recently read a good article here: http://wpgarage.com/tips/6-things-moving-wordpress-blogs-different-host/ about 6 things you need to remember when moving a Wordpress blog to a new host.

Does Backup Buddy retain info for multiple users, profiles, pages, etc. in exporting and exporting? Does it go beyond the WP native XML export? Does it keep all users at the same permission level they are using now?

Is Widget information preserved with a BackupBuddy migration? I've read that widget information is NOT preserved in a standard XML backup using the built-in WP tools.

Is permalink structure maintained?

Does BackupBuddy offer an easy way to change local url? For example, doing it manually requires you to open the database SQL file with a text editor. Find and replace all local URLs with your domain URL (eg. replace all "http://localhost:8888/mysite" with "http://www.yourdomain.com").

Thanks in advance!

#2 Josh

Josh

Ithemes Developer

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, BackupBuddy, Flexx
  • 2,778 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:11 AM

Hi Randy,

Backupbuddy can backup and restore a site with ease. It will backup everything within the directory of where your wordpress install is. But there are some server settings that can hinder you from restoring.

Backupbuddy backs up all of your files, and then backs up your database in the form of an .SQL file. It creates the backups by using what zip you have available on your server. If you do not have linux native zip on your server it may become difficult to create a full backup. This is because backupbuddy needs to backup your whole site within the page load as you can imagine this can be some times tough if your site is to large and you do not have access to the zip.

Although that can be an issue you can also restore just fine from a database backup.

The restore process, consist of taking the importscript(importbuddy.php) and the backup whether it be database or full. Then running the script in whatever directory along with the backup in that directory. Importbuddy.php will import you database into the new spot, then change all the links within the database tables to adjust to the new spot. importbuddy will also update your permalinks, and the wp-config.php. So you will not have to edit everything manually.

The only problem that can mess you up when restoriing is the size of your database. This is because importbuddy.php has to find and replace all the links within the database within one page load.If you are on a dedicated server then this should not be a problem for you.

Did you look at the server requirements on the product page?

Also you can see tutorials of backupbuddy on pluginbuddy.com/tutorials/backupbuddy

If you have anymore questions please ask.

Regards

Josh
Hey if you haven't looked at the iThemes codex check it out here!
There are some plugin walkthrough videos on our youtube channel check it out!