Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

Single site to multisite

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Tapestry58_*

Guest_Tapestry58_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:02 AM

I have a standalone WP site on a shared host. I want to move it to a network/multisite WP install on a VPS host (different hosting companies). Can I do this easily with backup buddy?

Thanks

#2 Josh

Josh

Ithemes Developer

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, BackupBuddy, Flexx
  • 2,778 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:08 AM

Hi,

Well porting a single site into a multi site will take custom work. Backupbuddy only works with single standalone sites for importing and exporting. So backupbuddy cannot help you with this. Sorry i wish there was a simple way to do something like this, or a trick of sorts to help you along the way.

Regards

Josh
Hey if you haven't looked at the iThemes codex check it out here!
There are some plugin walkthrough videos on our youtube channel check it out!

#3 Guest_Tapestry58_*

Guest_Tapestry58_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2011 - 11:53 AM

Darn. Okay, thanks. I appreciate the quick reply (if not the answer Posted Image)

#4 Guest_Skip Shean_*

Guest_Skip Shean_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:52 AM

I'm wondering if this is still the case since this post was from 2011.  Can it be done now with all the changes you've made in BB in the last few years?

I'd like to do exactly this if possible.

View PostJosh, on 04 March 2011 - 10:08 AM, said:

Hi,

Well porting a single site into a multi site will take custom work. Backupbuddy only works with single standalone sites for importing and exporting. So backupbuddy cannot help you with this. Sorry i wish there was a simple way to do something like this, or a trick of sorts to help you along the way.

Regards

Josh

#5 Dustin Akers

Dustin Akers

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes
  • 18,273 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:11 PM

Hi Skip Sean,

The multisite functionality with BackupBuddy has importing and exporting functionality (the main site of a network doesn't count as it is a bit different than the other sites in the network due to how WordPress multisite works). But multisite functionality in BackupBuddy is experimental and standalone sites are preferred (especially for production sites) if possible.

Thanks,
-Akers
Welcome to the forums. Be sure to post your questions in the correct forum and don't forget about the new and improved search function located in the top right of the forum pages. The gear/wheel symbol next to the search box will give you more options for advanced searching. Thank you and have a nice day.
PRAISE LORD HELIX

#6 Guest_Karl_*

Guest_Karl_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:29 AM

can a site be imported into the main site in multi site?

#7 Dustin Akers

Dustin Akers

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes
  • 18,273 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:38 AM

Hi Karl,

The main site in a multisite network is always a tricky business regardless if we are talking about BackupBuddy or not. Due to WordPress Multisite limitations a main site of a network can't be exported but can be imported into. So since can't be exported would want to take that into account if deciding to import a site into the main site or as a subsite of the network.

Thanks,
-Akers
Welcome to the forums. Be sure to post your questions in the correct forum and don't forget about the new and improved search function located in the top right of the forum pages. The gear/wheel symbol next to the search box will give you more options for advanced searching. Thank you and have a nice day.
PRAISE LORD HELIX

#8 Guest_Karl_*

Guest_Karl_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:49 AM

Akers,

thanks for the  response.   We're building a  new site for someone that uses multi site, and figured it would be better to design and build the site elsewhere so we don't mess up their current site,  which is the main one in multisite of course.   so, if we can import into main site, that's all I need :)