Grunge or Church?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Joe_*

Guest_Joe_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:00 AM

Hi,

I watched the tutorial, which was good in building enthusiasm for the product, and I’m almost ready to buy it, but I’m still trying to figure out what’s configurable and what’s hardcoded with the theme you buy.  It’s not so much that I don’t know ‘if’ I should buy, it’s more like ‘which’ to buy.

I’m managing a band on a tight budget and I’m trying to decide between the Church Theme and the Grunge Theme.

So to help me decide:

1.)    Is the actual tone of colours configurable, for example I like the structure of the Grunge Theme, but I want the colder tones used in the Church Theme.
2.)    The graphical font of the Chruch and Grunge Themes (e.g. where it says Grunch Life and Church Life)  actually created outside of the software and imported in, or is there a parameter that you fill in and it appears there?
3.)    I love the ability to move the frames around and get exactly the layout you want, but are those frames configurable with regards to height and width?
4.)    Last, I love the wizardry with the clickable adds to menu bars, I think it genius in that you even have nesting!  What happens if you don’t like the actual words used?  Is this something that you change in the text editor that is native to Wordpress?  Are all the pages created by your software further adjustable by using the native editor in wordpress?

I guess with all the configurability that the software seems to have, I really wonder why the Grunge Theme and the Church Theme are not really the same theme except they are configured differently.  Maybe letting me know why they are different will actually let me know what actually isn’t configurable and what is, no?

Thank you in advance for your help

Edited by Joe, 27 January 2010 - 08:02 AM.

#2 Guest_Joe_*

Guest_Joe_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2010 - 04:47 AM

I'm really disappointed.  I sat through the video(s), got infected by all the sales pitches and instead of waiting for a reply to my post above (noting that new support replies seem to be getting made to more recent posts and my request ignored) i purchased the grunge theme.

Before i purchased it there were two things that seemed to resonate all around this site: " $79" and "all themes have the same configurability."

Well i bought the Grunge theme and it doesn't remotely look like it has all the configurability that i saw in the demo video, for example:  where are the wire-diagrams that let you move frames around?

Don't get me wrong, i think the person that designed the product is a genius, i'd buy him a pint if i bumped into him in a pub to congratulate him on such innovation; but the team that is supporting this forum and the site information that is supporting this product is creating a gap in expectations between what it is and what it does and ultimately making me suspicious enough to raise my original question, and my suspicions were correct as the results answered my questions in an unfavourable way.

If this is really supposed to be for people to plug and play, then loads of ambiguity could be reduced.  That being said i'm sure if some one PAID to go to a CLASS and was walked through this, then it would just be dazzling and you would know ahead of time that it doesn’t in fact offer what the presentations say is offered.  But I didn't get the impression i needed to pay for training from the presentations.

Best wishes.

Joe

#3 Ronald

Ronald

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Moderators, Webdesign
  • 28,690 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 09:05 AM

Hi Joe,
I'm sorry that there has been some misunderstanding or disappointment. Sales generally attends to any requests in this forum board asap, I do think that with the WordPress Bootcamp (Jan, 29 and 30) the focus may have shifted. Apologies for that.
You can always ask any theme specific questions in the appropriate theme board, if so, please add a link to your site, and explain what issues you are experiencing. For instance, what demo video are you referring to, and what do you mean with wire-diagrams? I also would like to know where a theme tutorial is not accurate (apart from WordPress backend layout changes, that are beyond our control), and where the suggestion of features that are not included is made, so we can correct this. What theme are you referring to, the Life Grunge theme or the Grunge theme.
We will do our very best from the support site to assist you, clear up anything that is not clear, and hopefully make sure you will get the best out of the theme you purchased.
Ronald

Join the iThemes Builder Community on Google+.

To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. Please also read the forum guidelines.

When asking your question/posting your request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter your request, the more to the point, the more specific, the easier it will be for us to try and help out.

#4 Guest_Joe_*

Guest_Joe_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2010 - 05:09 PM

Hi, i haven't been back here because i'm basically thrilled with what i've been able to do with my theme and it far surpassed what i thought was possible before i discovered your product.

That being said, and to be very specific.  If you watch the Video Tour of Flex Theme you will see wire diagram layouts and on one instance in the video i think Corey calls them this as well, they are basically the frame options for your site and suggest that you can create any permutation of frame layouts. My Theme does not have that or it does and i'm just asleep at the wheel.  I have one layout, a handful of widgets and i can't change anything about it, save pick what i put in the hard-coded frames, right?

I have the grunge theme and here's the site i'm trying to develop:  www.DeathTrapCity.com

I think i'm just starting to get to the point where i wish i had the flexibility that exists in that video and have managed to make changes to the text files that i can't figure out how to repair short of reloading the site from scratch, i've done this because i don't seem to have the flexibility that was offered and i'm hacking to try to get it.

My biggest issue is that i feel that i've got too much wasted screen real-estate and i don't have the flexibility to re-arrange my 'stuff' to knit it together in a more tight way.

Anyway, thanks for the response, i'm sure you guys are doing all you can, it comes through in the videos that infected me, but i do think there's a gap in expectations with the video i mention.

Cheers. 

P.S.  I want way more widget flexibility!!!!

#5 Ronald

Ronald

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • 28,690 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 06:52 PM

Hi Joe,
for further and specific theme support, please use the appropriate theme forum. And the features of the Flexx theme indeed do not exist in the Grunge theme, and I don't think Grunge theme is advertised as such, so there may be some misunderstanding.
Ronald

To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. Please also read the forum guidelines.

When asking your question/posting your request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter your request, the more to the point, the more specific, the easier it will be for us to try and help out.

#6 Joseph Colligan

Joseph Colligan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 06:44 AM

Ahh, i see, Flexx theme is a different category of themes?  I suppose that's obvious to people that work with these all the time, as for me i found it hard to dicern the differences and in the end i decided that they were all priced at 79.99 so they must all be in the same category.  Anyway, that's just some feedback.  More feedaback is that within your front page tutorial she say's "Every Theme has this flexibility" but I suppose i'm supposed to tease out that my theme is not one of them, if you go to the grunge theme there is nothing there to suggest that it's excluded, again, that's just feedback, don't take it as me being dissatisifed with my product, just suprised.

Also, i logged in (jncolligan)  but i still don't arrive the support link you provide.

Cheers,

Joe

#7 Ronald

Ronald

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • 28,690 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:52 AM

Hi Joe,
Flexx theme is "just" the Flexx theme, with a variety of layouts, and as such advertised here. I don't think we call it a category of themes. It is one of the iTheme themes, most of them you can find here.
Which frontpage tutorial are you referring to? If there is anything causing confusion, we shall correct that as soon as possible.
At the top of this very page, there are some links to video tutorials, one of them on how to use this forum, maybe that helps, let us know,
Ronald