What needs to be installed on the NEW Site before Migration using backup buddy....?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Richard _*

Guest_Richard _*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2011 - 08:54 AM

Hi!
Just one last question (or two) before I buy backup buddy, and maybe I missed it in the video tutorials...
What needs to be installed to where I am migrating too? WordPress or just the mysql database?

Also, I understand I can only do a backup for a multisite, not a migration (thanks, char!), but what about a single wp site with buddy press?

Thanks!

#2 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 12,763 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 04:20 PM

Hi Richard

Great to hear that BackupBuddy is in yours sights.

The only things you should have at your migrated to server are:

a) importbuddy.php and your full backup zip in the directory that will be your new site root; and

b) a MySQL database ready with the access details to hand to input into importbuddy at Step 4

At a pinch you can start migration with importbuddy before having the database setup and pause the migration at step 4 as you go and setup your database - but it's much easier to have it all set to go.

If you have a large site you are migrating (more than few 100MB files and/or more than the standard Wordpress tables in the database) you might want to verify with your host what is the value of your PHP max_execution_time parameter. Basically the higher this is the better as it reduces the possibility of script timeouts which can be gotten around but it's easier to avoid them. A value 30 (seconds) is a common default but if you can get that bumped yup to 600 or more then you're in good shape unless your host has other time constraints in place - it's rare but sometimes it happens and we can overcome it if it does.

Couple of things to look out for also - your migrated to server might have a .htaccess file and/or a php.ini (or similar) file in the new site root - if it has you should check on your _current_ site to see whether you have those as well. If you do then they will be brought over as part of the backup and with no intervention will overwrite those on your migrated to server. If this is the case you should take copies of those files on your migrated to server so that if you need some of their content you have them to refer to.

Why might this be necessary? Well sometimes hosts put directives in these files that are appropriate for their server environment but may conflict on another hosts servers - so you may need to make a few modifications. If you get any weird issues during the migration please come to the BackupBuddy support forum which is a private forum you will be able to access after purchasing the product and we'll guide you through sorting it out.

Please be aware that I'm not giving you this information to scare you off (I sure hope I'm not :-) but I always think it's better to be prepared so that if there are any glitches you don't get too phased and you know where to come.

Regarding a single site backup - the backup will include all files and directories that are in or under the site root directory (although if you have the right operational environment you can selectively exclude directories which can be handy to reduce a backup size, exclude subdomains, etc.) and by selecting an option to backup "non-wordpress" tables in the database will also include _all_ tables in the database. The definition of "non-wordpress" tables is those tables that do not have the name prefix as specified in the wp-config.php file.

I hope that provides all the information you need to give you confidence in the ability of BackupBuddy to meet your requirements. Please be sure to ask for any clarification you may require.

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."

#3 mstimson

mstimson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:55 PM

i keep getting the following error:

PHP Timeout or Fatal Error Occurred
The page did not finish loading as expected. The most common cause for this is the PHP process taking more time than it has been allowed by your host (php.ini setting max_execution_time). If a PHP error is displayed above this can also cause this error.

I added this to the .htaccess file: php_value max_execution_time 600

but still nothing?

Help

#4 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 12,763 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:39 PM

Hi Mike

Can you please post your problem over on the BackupBuddy forum: BackupBuddy - iThemes PluginBuddy and WebDesign Community Forums, thanks.

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."

#5 mstimson

mstimson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:23 PM

I get this error: [#103139] You do not have permission to view this forum.

#6 Ronald

Ronald

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Moderators, Webdesign
  • 30,393 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:08 PM

Hi Mike

the e-mail address in your forum profile doesn't match the one in your membership account. Contact me by mail (ronald@ithemes.com) and let me know which is the e-mail address you wish to use for both,

thanks,
Ronald

Join the iThemes Builder Community on Google+.

To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. Please also read the forum guidelines.

When asking your question/posting your request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter your request, the more to the point, the more specific, the easier it will be for us to try and help out.