Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

Ithemes Builder

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_John_*

Guest_John_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2011 - 12:35 AM

Good day!

First of all, great job on the Builder, but a couple of questions.

I'm planning to use Builder to create brand new Wordpress themes that I can give away.

• My question is, how flexible is it for me to do so?
  • Or rather, does the licensing allow me to do such a thing, or can I do it with Builder?
  • I believe that you need the builder and the child theme for it to work. Let's say that I have created a new layout, etc. in Builder and applied a child theme which I've created myself as well. How does one redeploy the "new" theme on a different wordpress blog account?
  • Do I have to use both builder theme and the child theme, or there's a way for me to just copy a single directory of the theme and redeploy it on another wordpress blog?

Cheers,

John

#2 sridhar

sridhar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: BackupBuddy
  • 22,262 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 12:01 PM

1 and 2. Will get back to you.

3 and 4. Using a child theme is not mandatory but is highly recommended. Builder includes the option to <a  href="http://ithemes.com/codex/page/Builder_Features#IMPORT.2FEXPORT" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">export and import</a> layouts and settings. You may also want to look into BackupBuddy. See <a  href="http://ithemes.com/codex/page/Builder_Frequently_Asked_Questions#How_to_backup_and_restore_a_WordPress_site_that_uses_Builder" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">this</a>.

Edited by Sridhar Katakam, 26 May 2011 - 01:30 PM.

#3 sridhar

sridhar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 22,262 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 12:08 PM

Regarding 1 and 2:

You may not give away Builder for free.

You are free to distribute, share and sell your custom child themes though.

Hope this answers your questions.

#4 Guest_John_*

Guest_John_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2011 - 02:57 AM

Thanks for the answers.

I guessed as much that I can't give Builder away for free. However, I'm not particularly worried on that matter.

Let me rephrase again about what I'm trying to do.

Objective: To distribute / give away STANDALONE themes created from Builder + Child themes.
* STANDALONE means that I don't need to distribute together Builder for the theme to work. It's like how the standard themes are being distributed today. Just a directory with files.

This is the scenario:-

1) Created a new layout with Builder.
2) Created a new child theme.
3) Activate the new Builder layout and the child theme = my new theme.

My questions:-

1) Is it possible for me to distribute this "new theme" within a single directory, like how one normally would distribute his or her themes. e.g. without the builder theme, etc. (It's pretty obvious that you can't distribute Builder).

2) MUST I include Builder together with the child theme so that the overall theme's layout will look exactly like how I've designed it in the first place?

3) Will a full migration of the theme (layout wise) produces the same exact layout if I just use the child theme as the main theme? (without Builder).

4) If your answer is NO to question no (2 & 3), that means that in order for me to maintain the exact layout (assuming that I want to use this theme on another wordpress site), I need 2 (two) themes (Builder & Child) for it to sufficiently work as it should be?

5) If your answer is YES to question no (2 & 3), am I right to say that only by activating the child theme, the layout will still look exactly the same without the presence of the Builder theme?

Cheers and thanks!

John

#5 sridhar

sridhar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 22,262 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 03:26 AM

• Yes, you can distribute child theme zip files - much like what you find in the Member Panel for iThemes customers.
  • You may not include Builder in the zip file you plan on distributing. The buyers must buy a copy of Builder from us. Yes, parent Builder must be installed in themes directory for the child theme to work properly.
  • Using a child theme w/o Builder - not possible and to make it possible, you will have to essentially place all core Builder files into the child theme which is not permissible.
  • Correct.

Note: Technicaly, Builder export/import will work regardless of whether child theme is active or Builder is active directly. The point here is that child theme (the active theme) should only be a subset of parent Builder. It usually just contains a style.css (this has a reference to parent), functions.php.
  • N/A