Ithemes Builder

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_John_*

Guest_John_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2011 - 12:35 AM

Good day!

First of all, great job on the Builder, but a couple of questions.

I'm planning to use Builder to create brand new Wordpress themes that I can give away.

• My question is, how flexible is it for me to do so?
  • Or rather, does the licensing allow me to do such a thing, or can I do it with Builder?
  • I believe that you need the builder and the child theme for it to work. Let's say that I have created a new layout, etc. in Builder and applied a child theme which I've created myself as well. How does one redeploy the "new" theme on a different wordpress blog account?
  • Do I have to use both builder theme and the child theme, or there's a way for me to just copy a single directory of the theme and redeploy it on another wordpress blog?

Cheers,

John

#2 Sridhar Katakam

Sridhar Katakam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: BackupBuddy
  • 22,262 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 12:01 PM

1 and 2. Will get back to you.

3 and 4. Using a child theme is not mandatory but is highly recommended. Builder includes the option to <a  href="http://ithemes.com/codex/page/Builder_Features#IMPORT.2FEXPORT" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">export and import</a> layouts and settings. You may also want to look into BackupBuddy. See <a  href="http://ithemes.com/codex/page/Builder_Frequently_Asked_Questions#How_to_backup_and_restore_a_WordPress_site_that_uses_Builder" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">this</a>.

Edited by Sridhar Katakam, 26 May 2011 - 01:30 PM.

#3 Sridhar Katakam

Sridhar Katakam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 22,262 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 12:08 PM

Regarding 1 and 2:

You may not give away Builder for free.

You are free to distribute, share and sell your custom child themes though.

Hope this answers your questions.

#4 Guest_John_*

Guest_John_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2011 - 02:57 AM

Thanks for the answers.

I guessed as much that I can't give Builder away for free. However, I'm not particularly worried on that matter.

Let me rephrase again about what I'm trying to do.

Objective: To distribute / give away STANDALONE themes created from Builder + Child themes.
* STANDALONE means that I don't need to distribute together Builder for the theme to work. It's like how the standard themes are being distributed today. Just a directory with files.

This is the scenario:-

1) Created a new layout with Builder.
2) Created a new child theme.
3) Activate the new Builder layout and the child theme = my new theme.

My questions:-

1) Is it possible for me to distribute this "new theme" within a single directory, like how one normally would distribute his or her themes. e.g. without the builder theme, etc. (It's pretty obvious that you can't distribute Builder).

2) MUST I include Builder together with the child theme so that the overall theme's layout will look exactly like how I've designed it in the first place?

3) Will a full migration of the theme (layout wise) produces the same exact layout if I just use the child theme as the main theme? (without Builder).

4) If your answer is NO to question no (2 & 3), that means that in order for me to maintain the exact layout (assuming that I want to use this theme on another wordpress site), I need 2 (two) themes (Builder & Child) for it to sufficiently work as it should be?

5) If your answer is YES to question no (2 & 3), am I right to say that only by activating the child theme, the layout will still look exactly the same without the presence of the Builder theme?

Cheers and thanks!

John

#5 Sridhar Katakam

Sridhar Katakam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 22,262 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 03:26 AM

• Yes, you can distribute child theme zip files - much like what you find in the Member Panel for iThemes customers.
  • You may not include Builder in the zip file you plan on distributing. The buyers must buy a copy of Builder from us. Yes, parent Builder must be installed in themes directory for the child theme to work properly.
  • Using a child theme w/o Builder - not possible and to make it possible, you will have to essentially place all core Builder files into the child theme which is not permissible.
  • Correct.

Note: Technicaly, Builder export/import will work regardless of whether child theme is active or Builder is active directly. The point here is that child theme (the active theme) should only be a subset of parent Builder. It usually just contains a style.css (this has a reference to parent), functions.php.
  • N/A