ibuilder - create themes for other sites

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_phil_*

Guest_phil_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:28 PM

before I purchase ibuilder I needed to know the following:

If I install ibuiler on my site is it possible to create multiple different themes then save them? After saving them, i would want to upload just the custom made theme to another site. can I do this? if so, how?

#2 Sridhar Katakam

Sridhar Katakam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: Toolkit
  • 22,258 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 09:41 AM

Builder has <a  href="http://ithemes.com/codex/page/Builder_Features#IMPORT.2FEXPORT" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Export / Import feature</a>.

Also see http://ithemes.com/codex/page/Builder_Frequently_Asked_Questions#How_to_backup_and_restore_a_WordPress_site_that_uses_Builder

Once you set up Builder the way you want on one site, to get the same on another site you have to:

• Download the child theme directory under wp-content/themes and upload it at the same location in the new site. Do the same with core Builder directory as well.
  • Export layouts and settings from master site and import them in the new site. Note that widgets will not be carried over, only the widget areas will be.

Edited by Sridhar Katakam, 23 July 2011 - 12:38 AM.

#3 Guest_Bet_*

Guest_Bet_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:58 PM

This is helpful info, because I'll want to use Builder to design sites for clients in a development site and then deploy the theme onto a live site.

But I just want to be clear about multiple themes: Builder allows me to create and name multiple child themes as separate files that can be applied to the same site, right? For instance, I can create a pretty spring colors theme, but then switch back to my saved fall colors theme later...

[In my experimenting with Headway, this is not true: Headway only allows for changes through the visual editor, with no way to save themes and switch between them.-- right? Sorry if I'm misunderstanding-- I don't have much experience with this!]

#4 Sridhar Katakam

Sridhar Katakam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 22,258 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:32 PM

Builder allows me to create and name multiple child themes as separate files that can be applied to the same site, right?

Correct.

Each Builder child theme will have its own directory.

http://www.screencast.com/t/vaJzGElCH

#5 Guest_Bet_*

Guest_Bet_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:52 PM

Sorry to be just checking back.

Just want to be crystal clear on this: I can use Builder to create and save a child theme (or modify an existing child theme), export that child theme, and install that child theme on another site. Is that right?

And if I install a child theme, say Encased, tweak it for one client and save it, will I be able to install the original Encased again to use for another site?

Bet

#6 Sridhar Katakam

Sridhar Katakam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 22,258 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:48 PM

There is no provision to export an entire child theme in one single step.

To transfer a customized Builder child theme from one place to another (w/o carrying over content), this is what you should do:

• Take a copy of child theme directory and place it in destination server
  • Use Builder's Import / Export feature to export layouts & settings data and import it into the new site
Note:

• It is not possible to transfer widgets. Only widget areas will get transferred via step 2 above.
  • It is not possible to export Style Manager generated styles in such a way that it can be used on the destination site. It is however possible to place these styles along with the standard style.css and add calls to them if desired.

And if I install a child theme, say Encased, tweak it for one client and
save it, will I be able to install the original Encased again to use
for another site?

Yes.