ibuilder - create themes for other sites
Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:28 PM
If I install ibuiler on my site is it possible to create multiple different themes then save them? After saving them, i would want to upload just the custom made theme to another site. can I do this? if so, how?
Posted 08 June 2011 - 09:41 AM
Also see http://ithemes.com/codex/page/Builder_Frequently_Asked_Questions#How_to_backup_and_restore_a_WordPress_site_that_uses_Builder
Once you set up Builder the way you want on one site, to get the same on another site you have to:
- Download the child theme directory under wp-content/themes and upload it at the same location in the new site. Do the same with core Builder directory as well.
- Export layouts and settings from master site and import them in the new site. Note that widgets will not be carried over, only the widget areas will be.
Edited by Sridhar Katakam, 23 July 2011 - 12:38 AM.
Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:58 PM
But I just want to be clear about multiple themes: Builder allows me to create and name multiple child themes as separate files that can be applied to the same site, right? For instance, I can create a pretty spring colors theme, but then switch back to my saved fall colors theme later...
[In my experimenting with Headway, this is not true: Headway only allows for changes through the visual editor, with no way to save themes and switch between them.-- right? Sorry if I'm misunderstanding-- I don't have much experience with this!]
Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:32 PM
Each Builder child theme will have its own directory.
Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:52 PM
Just want to be crystal clear on this: I can use Builder to create and save a child theme (or modify an existing child theme), export that child theme, and install that child theme on another site. Is that right?
And if I install a child theme, say Encased, tweak it for one client and save it, will I be able to install the original Encased again to use for another site?
Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:48 PM
To transfer a customized Builder child theme from one place to another (w/o carrying over content), this is what you should do:
- Take a copy of child theme directory and place it in destination server
- Use Builder's Import / Export feature to export layouts & settings data and import it into the new site
- It is not possible to transfer widgets. Only widget areas will get transferred via step 2 above.
- It is not possible to export Style Manager generated styles in such a way that it can be used on the destination site. It is however possible to place these styles along with the standard style.css and add calls to them if desired.
save it, will I be able to install the original Encased again to use
for another site?