removing fields

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Karen F

Karen F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: Toolkit
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:15 PM

Is there a way to remove the Subject and message field? so:

if your subject line just says: Sign up for future updates, and you don't want anything but their email address for your update list â the user doesn't see anything but the subject line and Name & E-mail fields?

<h4 class="widget-title">signup for future updates</h4>
<a  name="contactbuddy-1" rel="nofollow" target="_blank"></a>

<li class="contactbuddy-name-label">Name:</li>
    <li class="contactbuddy-email-label">Email:</li>

at bottom of page: http://amagansettauthors.com/final-widgets/

thanks again,

Karen

#2 Sridhar Katakam

Sridhar Katakam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: BackupBuddy
  • 22,261 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:18 PM

This may not be an elegant solution, but should work.

Add the following at the end of child theme's style.css:

.contactbuddy-subject-label, .contactbuddy-subject-input, .contactbuddy-message-label, .contactbuddy-message-input {
display: none;
}

.contactbuddy-submit {
margin-top: 1em;
}

#3 Gwen Richardson

Gwen Richardson

• Members
  • Others: Slideshow
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:40 PM

when I add the code above to my css I get the following error when a form submits:

Please correct the above errors in order to send email.

It must be assuming that undisplayed fields must be completed? Have you used this successfully removing fields?

Here is the sample http://blueflameventures.ca/lgbt-consulting-services-2/

#4 Bes Zain

Bes Zain

• Members
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:26 PM

Hi Gwen,

Thanks for posting that.

1 : Hmmm, based on that error message it seems clear [I could be wrong] that the only current way to edit/remove those 2 fields would be to edit the actual core file to remove those 2 fields on that submit page. Such changes, however [as Sridhard mentioned too], won't be fully "elegant" and will be overwritten with future updates since future updates will overwrite any existing files in the plugin.

2 : It seems what you want more is something like EmailBuddy. ContactBuddy is mainly a contact form with at least the message field active to send a message. Therefore, removing that itself would change the core function of the plugin, which is to use a contact forum to send messages, and is thus beyond the scope of default plugin function and customization we offer with ContactBuddy. Instead, EmailBuddy would come in handy for this specific need.

3 : What you can do is use EmailBuddy [since you've the PluginBuddy Developer Suite] to collect email addresses.Would that work for you instead?

If not let me know and I'll see if a core edit or maybe a possible feature request can be the alternate. The trick will be to remove those 2 fields from beint sent in the functions [inside the plugin]. That will make sure the error is not shown.

4 : Do the emails get sent still?

Regards,

Edited by Bes Zain, 16 August 2011 - 11:28 AM.

#5 Karen F

Karen F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:47 AM

I posted the original question in this thread. Are there any instructions for using email Buddy this way -to remove the Subject and message field? so:

you end up with a form that says:
signup for future updates

and displays 2 form fields:

Name

Form field

Email

Form field

thanks again,

Karen

#6 Bes Zain

Bes Zain

• Members
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:52 AM

Hi Karen,

Thanks for following up.

EmailBuddy widget, by default, comes with an email address field and the Submit button. You can also add a "Name" field there. There is no Subject nor a Message field in EmailBuddy subscription widget.

Right now, EmailBuddy will show you a field to enter your email address and a Submit button. A small option in the "Widget" allows you to have the Name field also.

Is that what you [and Gwen] are looking for?

Also, by "Form Field", could you please explain what kind of a form did you mean?

Regards,

#7 Gwen Richardson

Gwen Richardson

• Members
  • Others: Slideshow
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:38 PM

Bes Zain said:

Hi Gwen,

Thanks for posting that.

1 : Hmmm, based on that error message it seems clear [I could be wrong] that the only current way to edit/remove those 2 fields would be to edit the actual core file to remove those 2 fields on that submit page. Such changes, however [as Sridhard mentioned too], won't be fully "elegant" and will be overwritten with future updates since future updates will overwrite any existing files in the plugin.

2 : It seems what you want more is something like EmailBuddy. ContactBuddy is mainly a contact form with at least the message field active to send a message. Therefore, removing that itself would change the core function of the plugin, which is to use a contact forum to send messages, and is thus beyond the scope of default plugin function and customization we offer with ContactBuddy. Instead, EmailBuddy would come in handy for this specific need.

3 : What you can do is use EmailBuddy [since you've the PluginBuddy Developer Suite] to collect email addresses.Would that work for you instead?

If not let me know and I'll see if a core edit or maybe a possible feature request can be the alternate. The trick will be to remove those 2 fields from beint sent in the functions [inside the plugin]. That will make sure the error is not shown.

4 : Do the emails get sent still?

Regards,

Hi Bes,

Thanks for your response & to answer your question.

No, the emails do not get sent, they fail and show no reason. As soon as you put the subject and message back in, it works though.

I do have the email buddy, and need more fields than it has, so I've decided to use the Gravity Form that email buddy suggest as it is much more customizable. Good to know for future used though, ie: contact buddy only for contact and leave code as per basic, and email buddy to collect emails.

I appreciate your help on this however.

Gwen

#8 Karen F

Karen F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:10 PM

Ben,Thanks. this was possible in email buddy. was a bit confused by having to add an event - but i did figure it out. I'm not sure in the future if i would do it with email buddy or gravity forms - but it was nice to have it work.

Many thanks!

#9 Bes Zain

Bes Zain

• Members
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:20 PM

Karen ( and Gwen ), thanks for the update! :)

If you've any tips on how you (in your situations) worked it out or have questions, please share it with us so others can figure out too. (you can start a new thread on such topics also).

Regards,