Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

Support during Holidays:

During the Holidays (Dec. 22 - Jan. 2) our support staff will spend well-deserved time with their families and loved ones.

We can not guarantee the same level of support that you are used to.

Moderators will check in on the support forum, but response times may be longer than expected.

Your iThemes support team wishes you happy holidays!

Edit page leads to 404 & options cannot be accessed

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 Jane Litte

Jane Litte

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:32 AM

I uploaded the newer version of the AEC and the edit link now leads to a 404 page and the Options/Settings of the plugin cannot be accessed.

#2 Sidney Leslie

Sidney Leslie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 10:29 AM

I have the same issue with the ajax version of edit, but have no problem with accessing settings. I thought disabling load scripts in footer might solve, but it did not. This version is beta, so let's hope it is resolved in the release version.

#3 Josh

Josh

Ithemes Developer

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, BackupBuddy, Flexx
  • 2,778 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:20 AM

Hi,

Just to make sure are you are referencing the comment "edit" button on the front end? Or am I not correct in saying that?

Please let us know

Regards

ps, Also there should be a new version tomorrow with all the new fixes applied.
Hey if you haven't looked at the iThemes codex check it out here!
There are some plugin walkthrough videos on our youtube channel check it out!

#4 fictionvxn

fictionvxn

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:59 AM

I installed the latest version of AEC today and now when the edit button is clicked from the (front end) comments section the popup box displays a 404 error.

#5 Lincoln1322754387

Lincoln1322754387

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 11:27 AM

Glad I'm not the only one. Finally updated to AEC 4.1.9.9 and noticed the 404 errors as well. Any attempt to edit comments rresults i nthe popup box opening a 404 error page. I've since downgraded until this is fixed.

Where is the support on this anyway? It's been over a week and still AEC is broken? I've seen better support on plugins that are actually free.

#6 Bes Zain

Bes Zain

• Members
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 02:47 PM

Hi Sophia and Lincoln,

Thanks for bringing this up and waiting for a "fix" for this [sorry for the wait Sophia!]. We're here to support this 100%! :) I just tested the latest AEC 4.1.9.9 on my 2 live sites and on the front-end, the pop-up Edit works fine without any errors for both my own comments and comments by other people. So let's see what common things you all have to pinpoint the issue.

I'm going to assume you have the latest version of AEC 4.1.9.9 now.

1 : Could you de-activate all other plugins and try again?

2 : Could you share your url's so I can make a test comment and check how the edit button pop-up [if enabled] looks to the regular guest commentor?

3 : Do you have W3 Total Cache plugin installed? The reason I ask is because while these 2 plugins work perfectly with each other [using them on my sites], using W3 Total Cache's minify option can sometimes cause some plugins to not load properly.

4 :In AEC â> Behavior â> Other Features â> Performance section, could you please try disabling all the options [set them to no] for the 3 options in "Performance" section?

5 :If #4 above doesn't work, could you try mixing the options [like set "Load Scripts in Footer" to yes, "Use Compressed Javascript" to no and "Load wp-load.php Directly" to yes, and so on - keep trying different things] and see if that produces any different results?

6 : Is the "Edit" pop-up box on the front-end for you not working as an admin editing your own comment, as an admin editing other people's comments, as a logged-in non-admin editing your own comment, or as a non-logged in user [guest] editing your own comment?

7 :The original poster mentioned that they could not access the Options/Settings page. Are any of you still facing that issue?

8 : The pop-up error that you see, can you find out what URL it's trying to load?

9 : Could you please try to take a screenshot of the entire error area including the url window?

Let's see what the answers to those are and if you notice any changes with the different settings above. Otherwise, I may have to ask you to let me go into your WP admin area to check and test stuff out and see what your configuration is.

Thanks again for being patient!

Edited by Bes Zain, 23 July 2011 - 09:51 AM.

#7 Lincoln1322754387

Lincoln1322754387

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 05:08 PM

After some testing I determined that switching OFF the following option fixed the issue:

"Load wp-load.php directly"

I could keep the other performance options enabled, but for some reason loading wp-load.php seems to generate 404 errors now.

I'm using Super Cache for caching purposes and only minify CSS files via Cloudflare.

You can try a test comment of your own here: <a  href="http://www.habitationofjustice.com/finding-the-stars-again" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.habitationofjustice.com/finding-the-stars-again</a>

Update:

After switching wp-load.php on and off to compare the URL it is trying to load, I noticed with wp-load.php switched on, it loads a completely different URL.

The following URL loads correctly (with wp-load.php switched OFF):

http://www.xxxxxxx.com/?aec_page=comment-editor.php&action=editcomment&cid=16208&pid=8209&_wpnonce=5a0ceae9df&height=525&width=620

The following URL loads incorrectly (with wp-load.php switched ON):

http://www.xxxxxxxx.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-ajax-edit-comments/views/comment-editor.php?action=editcomment&cid=16208&pid=8209&_wpnonce=5a0ceae9df&height=525&width=620

I've bolded the portion that I'm confident is causing the 404 error. Since the move to iThemes the folder that AEC is stored in is no longer called wp-ajax-edit-comments but has been shortened to ajax-edit-comments. Any part of the code that relies on the folder's old location will result in errors.

Hope this can be fixed soon.

Edited by Lincoln, 23 July 2011 - 12:21 PM.

#8 Lincoln1322754387

Lincoln1322754387

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 05:21 PM

There's one extra bug that was affecting previous versions that I might as well mention here:

When the option to have users "request deletion" is enabled, the admin receives no notification whenever a user requests to have a comment deleted. Instead it simply goes back into the moderation queue. I'm supposed to receive an email though with the note the user wrote indicating why he wanted a comment deleted. Just thought I'd mention it here. In the meantime I've disabled this feature as well.

#9 Bes Zain

Bes Zain

• Members
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 05:42 PM

Hi Lincoln,

Thanks for the additional info. I'll look into it and see if it's a configuration issue with other plugins or settings that case "wp-login.php" option is the issue for that or the directory. I do see the wp-ajax-edit-comments directory mentioned more than once in the new code. I may end up filing this as a bug report, thanks! For now, you can keep wp-load.php option disabled and AEC will work perfectly for you.

Everyone else: try disabling the wp-load.php option also. It should make AEC work for you too.

Also, for the 2nd thing you mentioned, I just tried the "request deletion" option from my end and it works; I got the admin notification email with the delete request comment in it also. Can you check the spam folder please? Are you getting every other kind of notification? Did you try de-activating all other plugins while testing this?

Edited by Bes Zain, 23 July 2011 - 12:59 PM.

#10 Lincoln1322754387

Lincoln1322754387

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 06:07 PM

Just checked my spam folder in Gmail and it was being sent after all. Not sure why Gmail was tagging it as spam though, since it's the same source. Oh well, at least that mystery's solved.

So it looks like I just need to wait until it's safe to turn the wp-loads.php options back on. No other plugins appear to be affected but since I use a lot of them I'd rather have this option available as soon as possible to voud any potential conflicts. Thanks!

#11 Bes Zain

Bes Zain

• Members
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 06:21 PM

Thanks for checking that Lincoln! :) Glad it was the Gmail Spam folder issue.

I've filed this as a bug report as I can duplicate the problem almost exactly as what you and others are noticing [for me, with wp-options.php enabled, the edit box loads but never finishes loading the comment contents].

I'll update this thread whenever there's an update, thanks!

#12 fictionvxn

fictionvxn

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 06:41 PM

Thanks for following up on this. I downgraded since this is such a popular feature on the blog and I didn't want to have the 404 errors popping up. I'll keep checking back for the update though.

#13 Bes Zain

Bes Zain

• Members
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 06:54 PM

Hi Sophia,
Thanks for the reply. Wanted to clarify a bit: this feature is working. It's working on Lincoln's site also now with my above steps.The feature coupled with certain settings causes it to break on certain installation.
Can you try the settings I recommended in my comment # 6 and # 9 above? It should work.You don't need to downgrade unless you've tried every setting mentioned in my steps.
Once again, to clarify: this feature is working and the bug report is mainly for the wp-load.php setting specifically which causes issues for this featureon certain installations. Turning off wp-load.php fixes the issue for majority of installations.

Edited by Bes Zain, 25 July 2011 - 02:02 PM.

#14 fictionvxn

fictionvxn

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:39 PM

Hey! Thank you so much. I disabled "Load wp-load.php directly" and all is working properly. :)