Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

Please Note:

The iThemes offices will be closed Thursday Nov. 27 and Friday Nov. 28 for Thanksgiving.

Support will be limited, as we allow our support staff to spend some well deserved time off with their families. The iThemes Support team wishes you a great Thanksgiving weekend.

Come on! BackupBuddy working when "Wordpress address" is different from the "Site address" (General Settings)?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#21 gguerin

gguerin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: All Plugins
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:42 PM

Guys, Paul, Pierre or whoever,

Please don't turn this as a fight again.

I have contact with Dustin behind the scene and I can assure you he's taking really some consideration about the different glitches I experience.

The description above was just because Bes requested it so other potential users or buyers can see if they are in the same configuration or not. Don't believe anything else and let Dustin fix it once for all.

Gilbert

Edited by Gilbert Guerin, 15 September 2011 - 08:43 AM.

#22 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 13,610 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:27 AM

Hi All

As this is a public forum and there may be Customers or prospective Customers readimg this and wondering about this issue of having a different WordPress address and Site address, it is worth making the following clarification to avoid confusion (please note this is not intended to be confrontational or to deny the existence of an such personally preferred "best practice"):

Having an installtion where the WordPress address and Site address are different is not a WordPress(.org) "best practice" or even a recommendation, it is merely a convenience for the following purpose (and I quote):

Many people want WordPress to power their site's root (e.g. http://example.com) but they don't want all of the WordPress files cluttering up their root directory. WordPress allows you to install the WordPress files to a subdirectory, but have your blog exist in the site root.

This is accomplished by making a subdirectory installation and then making some _additional_ manual installtion steps to enable the server to cope with the split addressing. It is not a "standard" 1-click install type of installation (as the mere existence of the Codex article illustrates) and for the hundreds of thousands or probably millioms of people operating WordPress sites it would provide no operational benefit whatsoever - in fact it makes the installation more complex which is actually contrary to the accepted meaning of best-practice which generally aims to reduce complexity and the possibility for problems.

It provides no security related benefits (it's still obvious where your site is installed) and is not even mentioned in the WordPress Codex article on "hardening" your site - in fact it makes ineffective one of the suggestions within that article concerning the site configuration file.

However, as I was careful to mention above lest there be any confusion, this doesn't mean that individuals or businesses might not for their own reasons state this as one of _their_ best-practices because they believe it offers some overall advantage in the context of their processes and operational environment - but please, if you are an ordinary site owner reading this, don't think that by not adopting this installation configuration you are in some way compromising your site or it's operation.

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."

#23 Guest_Cleve_*

Guest_Cleve_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:38 AM

Hi,

First time I am posting here. I am also with a client's setup where the Home URL is different from Site URL.

We need to upolad the live site to a dev environment offline (windows based machine), and get it back live again after modification. The site is quite big (hundred of posts with intensive use of widgets).

However I do not understand exactly if it is REALLY stable or not at the moment - and working.

This function "Home URL different from Site URL" seems still to be in Beta if I understand clearly - but working (says a member of the team - Bez - in the comment above).

I read the blog here (http://pluginbuddy.com/what-does-beta-mean/) and it says there is no garanty at all it is working or not.

I can not afford to have any trouble with the client site. So is it the right product for me at the moment?

Thanks

Cleve

#24 Bes Zain

Bes Zain

• Members
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:42 PM

Hi Cleve, :)

Thanks for posting this, and welcome to the forums!

I will keep this very short and simple on purpose so that there's no confusion:

BETA YET WORKING: Even though this feature is in the BETA version of importbuddy.php (included in BackupBuddy), we beleive it is very stable and can be used directly.

NO NEW BAD REPORTS CURRENTLY: We do not have any current active reports of this feature causing any issues OR not working at all. That basically tells us that it is working perfectly in MANY cases or properly for people who are using it.

BETA = BETA: Of course, you already read more on the "Beta" status, so while we say that you can try it, you can decide on your own if you want to proceed or not.

BACKUP ITSELF IS STABLE: Remember, however: the BACKUP part of BackupBuddy is STABLE. So even if something (theoretically) goes wrong, your backup file itself will be there intact with your actual data working.

TESTING IS YOUR FRIEND: You can always TEST this on a sample domain or site to see what you encounter.

Hope that explains more! Summary: while it's still in beta, it currently works and we think it's ready to be used currently and should be STABLE release soon.

Regards,

Bes

Edited by Bes Zain, 05 October 2011 - 08:43 AM.