Updater Nonfunctional?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lincoln1322754387

Lincoln1322754387

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 08:55 PM

WordPress is indicating that an update is available but it doesn't indicate which plugin can be updated. I checked and saw AEC was updated today so I'm assuming that's what triggered the notification, but there doesn't seem to be anyway to update the plugin within WordPress, even though I successfully activated the license. Am I missing an option somewhere in the settings that can enable me to update, or does it need to be done manually?

#2 Lincoln1322754387

Lincoln1322754387

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:33 PM

Hello, is this thing on? *taps microphone*

There doesn't appear to be an atuo update feature for AEC anymore, or did I miss it somewhere? If there isn't, what's the best way to upgrade the plugin?

#3 Bes Zain

Bes Zain

• Members
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:13 PM

Hi Lincoln, :)

Thanks for the post and waiting [as the header of the forums above show, support is mainly from Mon-Fri from 8am to 5pm, so on Fridays it can take long or up to Monday or so, typically within one business day, to get a full reply].

Your WordPress should show the update in the "Plugins" list on your main site [single site or the main site in MultiSite]. Clicking the "Licenses" link in front of AEC's name will also allow you to link a license [if you haven't already] and refresh the page, which should show the update there too.

1 : What version of AEC do you have installed?

2 : Do you still have AEC under the older folder [wp-ajax-edit-comments] or under the new folder [ajax-edit-comments]?

AEC auto-updater is working fine here from my end [on 3 different sites on 3 different hosts], so we can try to isolate the issue related to your installation.

Thanks!

#4 Lincoln1322754387

Lincoln1322754387

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:22 PM

Actually, my original post was made on Wednesday, not Friday. Posted Image

I have AEC 4.1.9.9 and it's installed in the new folder (sans the wp- prefix).

Here's a screen shot of the licensing popup. From what I can tell, I see the text Updater v444, but it's not linked to anything (it's just normal text) Was this supposed to be a link I click on to initiate updating the plugin?

Posted Image

#5 Bes Zain

Bes Zain

• Members
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:59 AM

Hi Lincoln, :)

Thanks for the reply. Ooops, sorry we missed that on Wednesday! lol you're right. I was focusing on the 1st reply and assumed it was Friday for the original post while writing my reply.

The link "Updater v444" is just there to show the updated [backend] version info and is not to be clicked. The update should actually show within your Plugins list in the form of "upgrade now" link under AEC's description, like all other plugins.

The license updater is being upgraded and worked on these days, so this could be one of the issues encountered. I'll have it looked at. You can, in the mean time, upgrade manually since there's a new version out: 4.1.11

4.1.10 , by the way, included an updated updater, so that most probably should actually solve the automatic upgrade issue you're facing with 4.1.9.9 - the latest 4.1.11 [that you can upgrade to manually for now] should hopefully solve this problem forever.

Could you take a screenshot of that plugins page and share it please? That will help us debug this if this problem still occurs after upgrading to 4.1.11 for future updates.

Regards and thanks again! [4.1.11 should eliminate the issue]

#6 Lincoln1322754387

Lincoln1322754387

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:57 PM

What's the best way to update? is it safe enough to deactivate and delete the old plugin completely, then re-upload the latest version? Only asking because WordPress warns that all the plugin data would be deleted, and I can't tell if that means the info it stored in the database would be deleted as well. Would probably delete it manually rather than have WordPress do it, just to be safe.

#7 Bes Zain

Bes Zain

• Members
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:14 PM

Good question. While your situation/WP may vary, I did the following this morning and it saved all the AEC db info :

1 : I didn't de-activate the old plugin.

2 : I deleted the old AEC directory completely.

3 : I uploaded the new AEC directory.

4 : I went to the Plugins page. WP gave the warning that AEC plugin has been de-activated as it's missing.

5 : Activate AEC on that page - that AEC is the new directory AEC.

6 : Done. Everything should be there with all the settings saved.

Your result may vary, so make a backup of the db just to make sure you don't lose the info. You can also try this: de-activate the old plugin, upload the new directory, and upload the NEW directory plugin. When you hover over "Activate" button, it will show the directory info in the bottom status bar of the browser. That will work too.

All of this is just for this specific manual upgrade if you're being extra cautious. For everything else in the past and from now on, simply click "Upgrade automatically" and it will work. :)