Backupbuddy & migrating over an existing wordpress site

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_charliejones56_*

Guest_charliejones56_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:19 AM

hi there, i would like to know if backupbuddy can help my
problem, i would like to migrate from test sites to live sites, however the live
sites already have an old wordspress directory and database. do i simply migrate
over the top, or delete old stuff first etc. Could you please advise the procedures and if backupbuddy can help in doing this, thanks

#2 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 11,968 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 04:54 PM

Hi

Your question is very important to us so that we can help you make an informed decision about purchasing BackupBuddy and we can get to know in more detail your intended usage.

When you mention an "old wordpress directory and database" I am wondering whether you mean a working site or simply a site that is no longer required? I will make the assumption that you mean a site that is no longer required but please be sure to respond otherwise if my assumption is incorrect.

It is always recommended to clear the site which you will be migrating to of any files related to a previous installation of WordPress. You do not specifically need to clear any files or directories that will not conflict with the site that you are migrating (you may of course easily determine what conflicts may occur by comparison of your test site and your intended live site).

Of course if it so happens that the old site was actually a subdirectory site and you intend to migrate the test site into the new site root directory then you can most likely leave the old site subdirectory in place if you so want to.

If you use importbuddy (the script that actually performs the migration when given a backup file produced by BackupBuddy) then when it unzips the backup file into your chosen directory (such as the site root directory) then extracted files will overwrite any existing files of the same name (assuming you have no specific file ownership or permissions in place that would prevent that). This may tempt you to just leave existing files in place but you cannot be sure that there will not be files from the old installation that will not in some way adversely interact with the new installation (this is after all WordPress and strange things can happen ;-) hence the recommendation to remove all files rand folders relating to the old installation that is no longer required.

You would normally use your ftp client or control panel File Manager tools the perform whatever deletion actions are required. If neither of these options are available to you for some reason then you would need to contact your host support for guidance.

Concerning the database, you have multiple options here but the one thing you cannot do it migrate the database tables over the existing tables where they have the same names.

The simplest option is to ignore the existing database and create a new database (your host support can advise on the procedure if you are unsure) and optionally a new database user and associate either the existing or new user with the new database and use those details for the database into which importbuddy will migrate your database. Of course if you have some limitation on the number of databases you can have you may need to delete the existing database before creating a new one.

Your second option would be to use the existing database and probably database user and when you perform the migration you must specify a table name prefix that is different from the table name prefix of the tables within the database that belonged to the old site. That way you can have both sets of tables in the one database. You should be sure to make use of the facility in importbuddy to check the database settings you provide to make sure they are valid. Please note that this is safe _only_ if your database does not contain any non-WordPress tables (tables without the defined WordPress table name prefix) or that if it does they will not conflict with any tables related to the old site. If you are at all in doubt please do not use this option.

I hope I have been able to give you the information that you need to determine whether BackupBuddy will meet your requirements. If you have any clarification required or further questions please feel free to ask.

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."