Question before buying ThumbsUp

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Cicilie_*

Guest_Cicilie_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:24 AM

Hi there!

The voting plugin looks very good, however I just need to ask a couple of questions before buying.

-If I would like touseyour pluginon just a few blogpoststhat will have eg. 20 different recipes - with html links to the recipe pages and thethumb votes under, so that users can vote for their favorite onecan thisbe done?

- If I have a list of about 50 recipes can the rating come under each one listed without me having to do it manually?

Regards,

Cicilie

#2 Bes Zain

Bes Zain

• Members
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 01:23 PM

Hi Cicilie,

Thanks for the post and welcome to the forums! :)

1 : If I understand you correctly, you will have different posts [or even 1 post] with a list of around 20 recipes and you want each recipe to have a corresponding link to the recipe and also a ThumbsUp under it, correct? If so, then yes, ThumbsUp does exactly that.

For example, check this page : http://pluginbuddy.com/purchase/thumbsup/click the demo. That has 2 such t-shirts [let's consider them Recipes] listed. You can have as many as you wish.

2 : Hmmm, could you explain this more or is it the same as the number above? In ThumbsUp, you can have "groups" where you can specify as many products/recipes/etc in a group. When you place that group anywhere, everything in the group shows up. If that's what you mean, then yes, you can list just one shortcode and ThumbsUp will show all the 50 recipes/items-in-the-group [you'll have to create the 50 recipes as a group, of course] automatically.

Does that help? Please let me know if you've any questions.

Regards,

Bes

#3 Guest_Cicilie_*

Guest_Cicilie_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2011 - 05:26 AM

Hi Bes

Thank you for quick response! :)

I will be back shortly to get the product. Sounds like it work excactly like I want it to:)

Regards,

Cicilie

#4 Guest_Razvan_*

Guest_Razvan_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2011 - 03:06 AM

Hello,

I also wanted to ask a couple of questions and I thought that they would fit in here.

1. Can I change the text "up" and "down" and write something else that is longer like "this didn't work" or "this worked"? How can this be done?

2. Can I set the "stats" numbers to appear permanently on the site so that other people see these numbers all the time? How? I didn't quite understand if they remain on the site automatically or not from the videos, that's why I'm asking.

3. Regarding Cicilie's first question, do I need to make a group for each of the 50 recipes that I may have on a page so that the Thumbs up and down appear? I just want to understand what needs to be done because I also want to add the code on pages with 50-100 different topics. I want the page to look like this:

6-10 lines of text and then a Thumbsup and then another 10-15 lines of text and then another thumbsup and so on.

4. Just a little suggestion: It would be awesome if you would give a 3-day free trial so that people could actually test the product and not have to ask about these things.

Thank you for your time!

#5 Bes Zain

Bes Zain

• Members
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:28 PM

Hi Razvan, :)

Thanks for posting this, and welcome to the forums! [you can start a new thread too if you wish with any more questions]. Let me know if I misunderstood anything:

1 : Yes, you can edit the text "Up" and "Down" by editing that text in the actual plugin file [via ftp or cPanel/host-panel/etc]. We can tell you then where to change it and how, and the things you need to know which such changes.

2 : The Stats results, if that's what you mean, can appear on any Group/post forever if you set their expiry date to "never" in the settings. That ensures the stats are always shown. They expire only if you choose for them to expire. As long as ThumbsUp is shown on such pages or in an area, the stats will show with it unless you choose for it not to.

3 : Hmmmm, each group in general has a set of items people can ThumbsUp on. Anytime you show that gorup, the elements inside it will always be the same.

So you can show a group of ThumbsUp elements [basically one group or any number you wish], then some text, then other ThumbsUp groups, and repeat the whole process.

Groups also allow you to add descriptions to the elements, allowing you to use that also if you wish to create spacing OR some kind of separation for each item or after a few items in general [by including some description if you want only for a certain item in a group, if you wish].

Let me know if you need more clarification on this or if you have other/more example.

4 :
Thanks for that suggestion! I've noted it down. :)

Please let me know if you've any other questions. We would love for you and Cicilie to becomePluginBuddy/ThumbsUpusers!

Regards,

Edited by Bes Zain, 17 August 2011 - 09:31 AM.

#6 Guest_Razvan_*

Guest_Razvan_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:29 PM

Thanks for the fast reply, Bes!

Regarding question 3) what I wanted to know was if I have 10 lines of text, I can then insert a ThumbsUp (not a group, just a simple one) and then add another 10-20 lines of text in the post area and add another code for another ThumbsUp. I hope you understand what I am saying. I just want to know if it is possible to insert maybe 100 separate ThumbsUp's (that do not belong to any group) in a single post.

Regarding question 1) changing the UP and Down: If I want to change it to something like "Say it's good" and "say it's not so good" won't this text go out of the box or will the box expand with the text?

Thanks again!

#7 Bes Zain

Bes Zain

• Members
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 05:26 PM

Hi Razvan,

Thanks for the reply! :)

For #3, yes.There's an easy step for that: create a group with only one item in it. That does exactly what you want. :) In such cases, your group will basically haveone item and will serve the exact same purpose. You can have as much info/content/text[10 lines, 10-20 lines or anything else]as you want between or after/before such different groups which have only one different or same item in them.

For #1, yes also. When you edit the plugin itself to change that text [we'll tell you where and how via ftp or cpanel or your WordPress plugin editor], the box itself will expand automatically to accomodate all the text you want without letting the text go out of the box. Check out this test I just did: you can see how looooooooooooooooooong the actual "UP" and "Down" replacement texts are. :)

"Topics" is the group name. "First" is that item's name. "Two" is the item's description, for that item. Same with the 2nd item below it.

Posted Image

Please let me know if you've any otherquestions.

Regards

#8 Guest_Razvan_*

Guest_Razvan_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2011 - 05:16 PM

Thank you very much for the help, Bes!

And thanks for that image!

I have a couple more questions. Hopefully the last (for now at least :)) I will probably buy the product now that I know a few things about it, but would like to also know the following:

1. Can I add some color to the ThumbsUp? Can this be done? Maybe make the thumbs up and down two colors or even color the text? It becomes colorful after you vote, but I want it to be colored before voting.

2. What kind of customization can be done with ThumbsUP at this point? I mean, can I play around with the code to get some customization or is that not possible at this point?

I really, really think you should offer some options of more colorful ThumbsUp and different sizes/forms. It would be nice to have 5-10 options.

3. Can I add a description that appears only when you hover over the ThumbsUp (this happens with youtube videos, please take a look at a video and you will see what I mean)? When you hover over the Like button you get "I like this" and hovering over the Down button gets you "I dislike this". Can something like this be done with ThumbsUp?

4. In your opinion, if I have a page with 120-150 different thumbs up (because of that many topics), will this create slow down the loading of that page?

4.1. If I have that many ThumbsUp (meaning 120-150) for a single page and I have 20 pages like this, won't this lead to some clutter in the dashboard of ThumbsUp? I'm thinking that having 3000 Groups in there (or simple ThumbsUp) can create some issues. Am I wrong here? The idea is that I will have a lot of pages with a lot of tips/topics that each need their own ThumbsUp and I want to make sure that this won't A) create slow loading pages and B)create clutter in the ThumbsUp dashboard. Hope that makes sense to you.

5. Can I somehow save all my ThumbsUp to avoid some unexpected loss of data (avoiding a loss of stats)?

Once again, I really appreciate all your help!

#9 Bes Zain

Bes Zain

• Members
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 11:07 AM

Hi Razvan, :)

1 :
At this time, adding colors to ThumbsUp can be done manually and outside of ThumbsUp, via css. Though currently, it will be an extensive process since you'll have to color each ThumbsUp yourself because of the number of ThumbsUp that are possible.

I can have this added as a possible feature request.

2 :
If you mean playing around with the actual plugin code, sure you can do that. However, any customization you make via that method will result in the changes being lost anytime there's any new official update.

You can always let us know your feature requests and we can try to work on them for you. The current things you can do with the plugin are always what you see exactly on http://pluginbuddy.com/purchase/thumbsup/

3 :
This can again be a feature request. :) Great idea!

For 4 I would say yes
. So many products with their own ThumbsUp calls would definitely slow down a page unless your server (shared, VPS or dedicated) can handle it.

Similar for 4.1 :
Yes, having so many Groups would definitely mean scrolling a lot. It won't create a clutter, but it will definitely be a scrolling experience for you!

The issues you'll face will most likely be the scrolling and slowdown in pages. Your actual ThumbsUp page inside the Admin Dashboard may also load slow, because of 3000 Groups loading both from the server end and also from the browser rendering them all for you.

4.2 â>
what kind of a site and what kind of products are you thinking of having ThumbsUp for?

5 :
Unless I'm mistaken, all ThumbsUp info is saved as Post meta info when you use the standard Tools â> Export feature in WordPress. So everything can be saved that way. You can always, of course, use our awesome BackupBuddy to backup everything. :)

Let me know if you've any other questions.

Regards,

Edited by Bes Zain, 22 August 2011 - 06:08 AM.

#10 Guest_Romain_*

Guest_Romain_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:09 AM

Hi,

Before purchasing your thumbsup plugin, I would know if this plugin is compatible with w3total cache and if some settings have to be set up.

Thanks a lot

#11 Gerroald

Gerroald

iThemes Support

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Toolkit, Webdesign
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:31 AM

Hello Romain,

Thanks for your interest in ThumbsUp!

There aren't any known issues with W3Total Cache. If you do run into any problems we're here for you!

Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks,

Gerroald