VidEmbed permissions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Mike C._*

Guest_Mike C._*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:05 AM

I run a multi-site install of WordPress at a university and have come up against the problem of site administrators not being able to embed videos because site administrators are not allowed to use unfiltered HTML. But, as a network administrator, I can embed. While site admins can post YouTube videos using the basic URL they cannot embed YouTube, Vimeo, Google Vids, etc.

Does VidEmbed allow site administrators to embed without having access to unfiltered HTML?

Thank you,

Mike

#2 Bes Zain

Bes Zain

• Members
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 01:46 PM

Hi Mike,

Thanks for posting the question. I tested this on a multisite and it works. Basically, VidEmbed [even though the name says "Embed"] actually uses shortcodes to embed the videos in posts/pages. Therefore, anyone with posting abilities [unless I'm mistaken or your university's multisite has specifically modified this] can use any shortcode that's available. So VidEmbed should technically work in your case.

This is what I did:

1 :As the site admin, created another site admin as a test [just to double confirm the status]. I then logged in as the site admin.

2 :Went to add a new page.

3 :Clicked the "VidEmbed" button above the editor.

4 :It asked me for the video to insert and some settings I wanted for it.

5 :The final full entire code [shortcode] it put in the page was this

[ pb _ vidembed title="Funny cats" caption="caption of cats" url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IytNBm8WA1c" type="yt" w="480" h="385" ]
There was nothing else in the post. [I put space in the beginning and between pb and _ and vidembed wording myself so that it doesn't get parsed in this post].

6 :I published the page.

7 :It worked. The page showed the video without any issues.

Does that help?

Now if your University is actually blocking the output of any such video in the output pages [even when the post/page use shortcodes], then it's a completely different story and the above might not work either. However, since you as an admin are allowed to "embed" iframes/javascripts/etc of videos, then it seems using shortcodes for those who can't embed should work, since the final output is not being restricted [at least for Super/Network Admins].

Regards,

Edited by Bes Zain, 08 August 2011 - 11:14 AM.

#3 Guest_Mike C._*

Guest_Mike C._*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:04 PM

This helps a great deal. Thank you for testing and letting me know the results. I'll be in touch for sure on this item as I know there are quite a few site admins who would be thrilled to use it.

Thanks again,

Mike