Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

Support during Holidays:

During the Holidays (Dec. 22 - Jan. 2) our support staff will spend well-deserved time with their families and loved ones.

We can not guarantee the same level of support that you are used to.

Moderators will check in on the support forum, but response times may be longer than expected.

Your iThemes support team wishes you happy holidays!

with wp multi site - is back up teh same

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 theme buhhda

theme buhhda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:00 AM

<span style="font-size: small">with wp multi site - is back up teh same - http://trades-design.inspireify.com/</span>

<span style="font-size: small">if i install multi site - each sub domain is backuped with back up buddy - is teh super admin account with multi site installed backuped up too ? to be uploaded with teh upload script</span>

#2 Ronald

Ronald

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Moderators, Webdesign
  • 31,410 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 09:35 AM

Hi,

moving this to the presales forum, since this is not a Builder issue. You will find related inquiries in that forum, that may answer your question (such as this: http://ithemes.com/forum/index.php?/topic/16968-does-backupbuddy-work-on-a-wordpress-multi-site-enabled-setup/)

Ronald

Join the iThemes Builder Community on Google+.

To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. Please also read the forum guidelines.

When asking your question/posting your request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter your request, the more to the point, the more specific, the easier it will be for us to try and help out.

#3 Bes Zain

Bes Zain

• Members
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 10:44 AM

Hi theme buhhda,

Thanks for posting that. In addition to the thread Ronald posted [which has very important information in the 2 replies including what BackupBuddy currently officially supports], here's more specific answers to your 2 questions based on my own experience [which has shown that backup is exactly the same and works, at least for me]:

1 : If your WordPress is in the root directory, BackupBuddy currently backs up everything in that directoy and everything underneath it. Thus your sub domains, which are actually in the wp-content/uploads/blogs.dir/xx format will automatically be backed up too.

2 : There is currently a BackupBuddy MS plugin/port being developed that serves the sole purpose [currently] of migrating any single WordPress site into an existing WordPress Multisite.

3 : The super admin account [Network Admin] with the Multisite installed in my experience [been doing it daily for almost 4+ months now I think] will backup that entire WordPress too [since it's the root WordPress folder, just like #1 above and the only difference is the different tables for each site in the network].

4 : Could you explain a bit more what you mean by "upload script"?

Thanks!

#4 sridhar

sridhar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: BackupBuddy
  • 22,262 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 06:16 PM

By upload script, he is probably refering to importbuddy.php file.

#5 theme buhhda

theme buhhda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 02:02 AM

HI Bes Zain â just installed multisite

good answer-

yes by Byupload script, he is probably refering to importbuddy.php file.

can you help me with a few points -

a) for backing up and importing single directories â is this the same as with a normal domain ?

b)been doing it daily for almost 4+ months â and import has worked properly with the enire multisite network ?

c) ive only imported to a fresh domain â in your exp â can you import to a wordpres install â a site that already has wp ?

cheers dude

ps is there a css editor that works acrosss all sites ? or where can I find the indv css and site files via ftp ? cheers

just read about child themes -- can I just rename each indv theme - for the respective dirctory - and then edit the css? - i need indv styling on the same themes

Edited by theme buhhda, 10 August 2011 - 10:47 PM.

#6 Bes Zain

Bes Zain

• Members
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:43 AM

Hi theme buhhda, :)
Thanks for the replies.
A : By backing up and importing single directories, do you mean the single directories of the MultiSite which are wp-content/uploads/blogs.dir/xx where xx is that directory/site number?
B : I've been backing it up daily for 4+ months and restored it around 3 times max, though [not restoring it daily]. It worked those 3 times with some tweaks in the end to the final sites. Restore does take a bit more work at this time; you should search more to be fully sure if you're comfortable with that option [of manual extra tweaking/customization] to restore such an MS backup.
We have a BackupBuddy MS beta plugin in development now available now which allows you to migrate a single WordPress install site into a WordPress Multisite network, with more features coming along the way.
C : Do you mean can you import an existing WordPress Multisite to a fresh clean install of WordPress [not Multisite/network enabled yet] on a different domain? Yes, BUT with modifications like changing the domain url to reflect the new domain and making sure the existing wp-config.php file is overwritten to enable the Network, etc. Restoring requires more steps at the moment and is not as short as the current way of backing up and migrating a single site to a single site.
D : Hmmm, if you mean if there is a CSS editor that works across all sites in helping you edit all site's CSS files at once, then no, there's nothing of that sort that I know of. However, you can use FTP itself to navigate to the wp-content/uploads/blogs.dir/xx directory OR the wp-content/themes directory to manage and edit any CSS file, since regular themes still go into that directory, even for WordPress Multisite [all such sites in that network still have their plugins OR themes go into the regular wp-content/themes and wp-content/plugins directories].
E : Yes, that's what I do for my sites â> I've renamed each theme folder name and the theme name itself in style.css file for my individual sites and put them in the same exact wp-content/themes folders. Works perfectly [and that's how it's supposed to work].
Please let me know if you have any more questions. You can explain more as to what you're looking for and stuff [like what are you trying to accomplish with BackupBuddy, what are you site theme needs, etc].
Be sure to ask everything you can and more, so that there's no confusion as to what can and cannot be done the way you want them to be done [otherwise in the end you may realize something you want with the child themes OR BackupBuddy cannot be done and it may be a lot of work later on for you] and so that you can fully do with the BackupBuddy what you wish to do [or if you should wait for future updates].
Regards,

Edited by Bes Zain, 11 August 2011 - 10:33 AM.

#7 theme buhhda

theme buhhda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 02:48 AM

a - yes my main - point of wether to develop on mutisite or stick with subdominas is migrating a design a client likes to his site -
"the single directories of the MultiSite which are wp-content/uploads/blogs.dir/xx" - I read on a wpmu blog that back up buddy cant back up a single directory from multiste -
"
i tried just teh settings with the export feature with no luck - although I know there is a "gd tools" pluigin that claims to be able to backup a multiste dir -
however importing this with special databse tables and settings sounds like too much time -
-or if i could just take teh css from style manager - and transfer it - although i tried that with teh export feature but nothing happened.
b thanks thats clear to me for teh full multi site - how about from a multi site to a different single site ? that would be very useful
c wp-config.php file would be like setting up wamp or easy php - - you change teh database and cofig files ?
d - i was thinking of a sepertae css editor for indv sites - i realise ftp is teh best answer -
where do you put the css to edit the theme name -? in teh thgeme folder before upload ?
- you obviously have a workflow that works and suits you with multisite - so i dont see why I shouldnt -- iron out any doubts and use it too -
it is much faster to create a site and use the smae plugins - instead of ftping everytime
so ill develop on multi site - create a design - edit css via f bug and ftp it -  -
so i guess what backup plugin would work and how do you import a multi site dir to a single site ? - but there inst one yet-
http://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/best-automated-back-up-solution-for-multi-site
I think ill have to just stick with subdomains - unless you have an anser thanks for your detailed reply mate
a - yes my main - point of wether to develop on mutisite or stick with subdominas is migrating a design a client likes to his site -
"the single directories of the MultiSite which are wp-content/uploads/blogs.dir/xx" - I read on a wpmu blog that back up buddy cant back up a single directory from multiste -"i tried just teh settings with the export feature with no luck - although I know there is a "gd tools" pluigin that claims to be able to backup a multiste dir -however importing this with special databse tables and settings sounds like too much time -
-or if i could just take teh css from style manager - and transfer it - although i tried that with teh export feature but nothing happened.

b thanks thats clear to me for teh full multi site - how about from a multi site to a different single site ? that would be very useful

c wp-config.php file would be like setting up wamp or easy php - - you change teh database and cofig files ?

d - i was thinking of a sepertae css editor for indv sites - i realise ftp is teh best answer -
where do you put the css to edit the theme name -? in teh thgeme folder before upload ?

- you obviously have a workflow that works and suits you with multisite - so i dont see why I shouldnt -- iron out any doubts and use it too -
it is much faster to create a site and use the smae plugins - instead of ftping everytime

so ill develop on multi site - create a design - edit css via f bug and ftp it -  -
so i guess what backup plugin would work and how do you import a multi site dir to a single site ? - but there inst one yet-
http://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/best-automated-back-up-solution-for-multi-site
I think ill have to just stick with subdomains - unless you have an anser thanks for your detailed reply mate

#8 Bes Zain

Bes Zain

• Members
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:06 PM

Hi Theme Buhhda [thanks for waiting], :)

A : The Multisite aspect of BackupBuddy is being worked on now in BackupBuddy and BackupBuddy MS [in Beta currently] for future versions, which should improve all these steps easily. No ETA currently on when they'll be officially rolled out, though.

B : Inside BackupBuddy, you can exclude certain or any specific directories [like a certain blogs.dir/xxx directory], but this will, as mentioned before, NOT work currently or easily in terms of restoring such a backup as a single site or even into an existing MultiSite.

However, the upcoming gradual updates to BackupBuddy and BackupBuddy MS aim to allow you to do exactly that, so if you're just looking to make backups just in case to have copies on your computer even for MultiSite, then BackupBuddy will work. However, to restore fully or perfectly, or anything official with Multisite, the future updates [whenever they come out] and not any current version will help you do that.

C : BackupBuddy backs up the wp-config.php file automatically at this time if it's in the default location. Or did you mean for Multisite installation?

D : Hmmmm, regarding the CSS editors for individual sites, could you please post a separate topic with more infor [to give it its own full thread away from BackupBuddy] in the General forums here? That way we can focus on discussing that there instead of here with your BackupBUddy questions please.

E : Regarding whether to go with multisite OR subdomains should be something [I recommend] you should decide regardless of whether or not BackupBuddy can currently help you migrate. Because eventually, in the future [near or far], BackupBuddy will support MS fully and officially [right now it's not official at all and if you run into any issues with MS backups/restores we won't be able to help youmuch or at all:( ].

Multisite is an easier way to manage multiple sites and it's the future, of course. You can choose that if you wish at your own full risk/decision. However, if you have issues with Multisite and BackupBuddy, we won't be able to help you at all currently. It's best you wait till official support and features in BackupBUddy for MultiSite are out and working before considering BackupBuddy for any Multisite backups/restoration if you will need our help/support also.

Regards,