Flexx Theme or Other

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_greenmama_*

Guest_greenmama_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2010 - 01:50 PM

Can Flexx be used to create a site like the one below or would another ITheme be better? I don't need a shopping cart because I won't be selling anything directly. The customers will be redirected to other sites when they click on a product to purchase similar to the site example.
http://www.favorideas.com/shopping/spring-wedding-favors.html

I'm good with the computer but new to WordPress and don't know any HTML or CSS coding so the simpler the theme the better. That is what I liked about Flexx Theme.
thanks!

#2 Guest_greenmama_*

Guest_greenmama_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:12 AM

Is there another board that I should be asking this on since no one has replied or should I contact customer service directly? I would like to purchase a theme soon but don't want to purchase the wrong one.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

#3 sarah

sarah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: Builder, All Themes
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 03:04 PM

Hey Greenmama -
Sorry! I'm late. Yes, this is the right forum thread :)

I've been looking at it and trying to map it out in my head with Flexx and I think it would work...depending on if you want your products to appear exactly like that you can use the Gallery Feature in WP that will post a series of photos (in a single blog post) in lines of thumbnail images that would appear similar to that site.

You can put a sidebar on the left with widgets down the side. A nice thing about Flexx is you can have a navigation bar of just your blog categories. So you can create a post in category, say "flowers", and use the gallery feature to put a bunch of small thumnail images for your flowers blog category.
You'd have to be a little creative of how this works but I definitely think you can create a product site like this using Flex. I've actually seen one done nicely before selling Christmas ornaments and I wish I could show it to you.

You will still need to get a shopping cart function to add to Flexx. But there are lots of great shopping plugins out there you can look into for the actual checkout process on your site.

If you don't know CSS or HTML, etc then Flexx is a great option. All the Flexx themes function the same way and have the same features, just different styles and apearances. So just keep that in mind while looking!

I hope that helped.

Sarah

#4 Guest_greenmama_*

Guest_greenmama_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2010 - 08:23 PM

Thanks Sarah. I was also reading about a WP plug-in to help make your site look like an e-commerice site, would something like that help. Can't think of the name of it right now. As far as the differences I'm trying to decide on that b/c I want to use one Flexx theme for two different sites. I heard the new Craft one is more girly which would work for one site but I like the colors of Victoria for another site so I'm not sure what to do.
thanks again,
Dawn

#5 Ronald

Ronald

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Moderators, Webdesign
  • 29,874 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 02:26 PM

Hi Dawn,
there are several ecommerce plugins for WordPress, check them out!
Ronald

Join the iThemes Builder Community on Google+.

To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. Please also read the forum guidelines.

When asking your question/posting your request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter your request, the more to the point, the more specific, the easier it will be for us to try and help out.

#6 Guest_greenmama_*

Guest_greenmama_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2010 - 05:20 PM

Thanks Ronald. Are any of them easier than another to use for a novice? Here is the one I came across, have you heard of it?  http://www.instinct.co.nz/e-commerce/  I saw the image cubes on their page and thought that looked similar to the site example I gave which might work.
Dawn

#7 Sridhar Katakam

Sridhar Katakam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: BackupBuddy
  • 22,261 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 06:17 PM

Flexx Craft Demo: http://ithemes.com/demos/flexx-craft/
Flexx Victoria Demo: http://ithemes.com/demos/flexx-victoria/
This ecommerce plugin looks neat: http://www.instinct.co.nz/e-commerce/

#8 Guest_greenmama_*

Guest_greenmama_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:35 AM

Thanks, I've looked at demos but are the colors shown the only colors and fonts that are with each theme? I need to try and use one Theme for two sites that will be different colors. I know I can have someone who knows how to code change the font but I'm trying to find out what other colors if any are available with the Craft and Victoria or if it is only what is shown.
I googled and tried to find if anyone is using them but most people are using Flexx Professional and a few using Canvas and had designers tweak it to change fonts and such.

#9 sarah

sarah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 05:58 PM

Hey Greenmama -
I think I replied to this question by email already...but just in case!
Yes, those colors are the only ones that come with the theme. The Flexx themes have a "set" design and style which is why we created so many of them - to fit different needs.

Changing fonts is fairly easy to do with some help. And all of the Flexx themes have a Background picker - it's not a wheel - but similar concept. You can select the colors you want, or upload a custom background image for Flexx. But changing colors of other elements in the theme (like the nav bar, widget boxes, etc) would need to be changed through the CSS.
So only what is shown is what it will come in, but you can make a couple of the tweaks yourself.
I hope that helps!

Sarah

#10 Guest_greenmama_*

Guest_greenmama_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2010 - 06:23 PM

Thanks Sarah. I did get an email from Customer Service (not sure if it was you) that did explain that. Thanks. How complicated is it to change the CSS for color of the widget or sidebar titles let's say? Is it something that someone could help me with from this board or is there a CSS for Dummies? LOL!
I really wanted to use the Flexx Theme b/c it seems so easy for novice like me but if I need a certain color scheme I'm not sure if I should find a regular WP Theme maybe.
Thanks again!
Dawn

#11 sarah

sarah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:40 PM

Hey Dawn
You can change just about any colors you want with CSS (the widget boxes etc) and with Flexx the background doesn't require CSS to change.
The forum can help you with some of these changes within reason - http://ithemes.com/forum/index.php?/topic/2-what-level-of-support-can-you-expect/

But there are certainly resources out there that you can use to learn some of the CSS basics yourself (there actaully is a CSS for Dummies book haha) and I would suggest taking a look. The changes won't be hard, but the more you can learn yourself the better!
Also, the Flexx forum thread already has tons of similar questions answered about color changes and how you can find them. So you can probably glean most of your help from there!

Hope that helps

Sarah