Need to know this before I purchase BackupBuddy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_Solomon_*

Guest_Solomon_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:16 AM

I have a hosting account where I have a few Wordpress blogs. I intend to add a new domain to my hosting account and transfer one of my Wordpress blog to this new domain (using Backup Buddy and then ImportBuddy).

According to the documentation (BackupBuddy:ImportBuddy), if I run ImportBuddy (typing e.g. http://mydomainname.com/importbuddy.php into the browser address bar), Step 3 will ask me to choose between "Migrate to new server and "Restore to same server".

Furthermore, Step 4 give a warning on the overwriting of existing tables if they share the same database prefix. I noticed that all my Wordpress blogs hare the same database prefix (based on username)

Question: In the above scenario, will ImportBudy overwrite my existing Wordpress blogs databases since they have the same databasse prefix and which option should I choose in Step 3.

Thanks.

#2 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 12,794 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:02 PM

Hi Solomon

Thanks for your enquiry.

Regarding Migration vs Restoring: For you requirement in this case it would be classified as a Migration because although it is the same server (as I understand it) the domain and location (of files/folders) is changing. A restore applies to the case where everything is remaining the same, i.e., you would be restoring a previous "snapshot" of your site/database to same host/server/domain/file-path.

Regarding the database usage: the constraint is on the prefix of the table names rather than the prefix of the database names, i.e., two WordPress sites cannot share the same database if both sites use the same table name prefix (the table prefix that is defined in wp-config.php) but they can use the same table name prefix if they use different databases.

If each of your blogs have their own dedicated database and your migrated blog would itself have a newly created database then you will have no issue however you decide to define the table name prefixes. When you migrate the blog you will be asked to enter the new database access information at Step 4.

It is possible to share a database between blogs _provided_ each WordPress site has a unique table prefix defined _and_ there are no clashes between table names of other tables that might be associated with those sites if you have any additional functionality that uses the database embedded in those sites.

I hope this information answers your questions but if you need any further clarification or have further questions please let us know, thanks.

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."