Backup Buddy Question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 mlhblogs

mlhblogs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 12:36 PM

I am considering buying backup body but have a question:

For one client I
have 1 wp installattion at the root level. Also at the root level there
is a folder for a different domain with it's own wp install. Each
domain has it's own wp admin login and ftp address.  

Is this
considered a multi-site? I would like to be able to backup/restore
Domain 1 and Domain 2 separately. Will Backup Buddy let me do this? Do
I need to use a separate license for each domain?

Here are the folders in the root directory (Domain 1):

[wp-admin]

[wp-content]

[wp-includes]

[Domain2]

[wp-admin]

[wp-content]

[wp-includes]

#2 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 11,903 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 04:06 PM

Hi Mike

If it is not installed/configured/operated as a MultiSite in the meaning of the term as defined by WordPress then it's not considered a MultiSite for the purposes of BackupBuddy.

You would need to install BackupBuddy in each site and attach a separate licence to each instance.

Backing up Domain2 independently will not be a problem.

Backing up Domain1 independently depends on the capabilities of your server - very specifically you need to be able to run a command line zip command through the PHP exec() function because you will need to be able exclude the Domain2 directory from the Domain1 backup to get a "clean" backup.. Preferably you would be able to run this way anyway because it is the fastest and most reliable way to produce a zip archive file.

There is a "compatibility" mode if your server does not provide this capability but it is slower and crucially cannot exclude directories - so you could likely backup Domain1 _but_ it would also include the Domain2 folder and subfolders etc. (but not the database component of Domain2) which would make the backup much bigger _and_ if you needed to restore you would have to do a little "preprocessing" to prevent inadvertently overwriting Domain2. It's by no means impossible and let's face it doing a restore isn't something that needs to be done very often (hopefully :-)

How do you find out your server capabilities? Well a good start is to install the PluginBuddy ServerBuddy plugin (available from standard WordPress repository) which will give you a new entry under WordPress Tools admin which will give you a bunch of information about your installation - importantly on the Server Configuration panel look for the Zip Methods item and check for "exec" in the Value column. If you find it you should be good to go as far as this requirement is concerned.

Pleae note that if you are on a Windows server then probably you will not get command line zip by default but will have to install a zip.exe executable in your site root (which we can provide if you do not have access to) but you must stll have the PHP exec() function available to use.

If the test comes up negative for "exec" Zip Method it is definitely worth asking your host about being able to use the PHP exec() function to execute the Linux/Windows command line zip and see what they say. Some hosts may have a slightly odd configuration which means the command is provided but BackupBuddy/ServerBuddy cannot see it by default.

Hope that gives you the information you need and any further question or clarification required please let us know, thanks.

Regarsd...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."

#3 mlhblogs

mlhblogs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 03:14 PM

I guess I will need to do some more research to see if this is "multi-site". All we did was create the Domain 2 folder in the domain 1 root folder and install wp in it with domain 2 pointed at it. (it is a linux server)

As far as backing up domain 1 (without domain 2) doesn't backup buddy include the ability to exclude some folders from the backup? If so i could just exclude the domain 2 folder in the root directory.

It sounds like backup and restoring with backup buddy is too complicated for a non-technical person. If it has to be loaded on each site - won't it take care of the restore without going through all that?

I keep a manual backup copy of all the files on the server by just drag and drop into a backup folder. If all this is required to restore with backup buddy it may be simpler just to delete all the wp folders and their content and drag and drop everything from the backup folder back to the root folder. I can do that for domain 1 or domain 2.

Mike

#4 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • 11,903 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 05:23 PM

Hi Mike

Doesn't sound like a multi-site :-) My response to your question was basically along the lines of "if you don't know what multi-site is then this isn't a multi-site installation that you have" â wasn't meant to be insulting in any way just to indicate that you'd know if you had a multisite based on WordPress documentation such as:<a  href="http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Create A Network « WordPress Codex</a>:-)

Regarding backing up Domain1 without including files/folders of Domain2 â yes BackupBuddy does include that feature _but_ you have to have certain capabilities available on your server as I described (specifically concerning the availability of linux native zip command through the PHP exec() function). I didn't necessarily expect you to understand this from a technical point of view (as I don't know your background) which was why I suggested using the ServerBuddy plugin whcih would give you certain information about your server environment such as this (please refer to my paragraph 6 above).

You can check out some videos over on<a  href="http://pluginbuddy.com/purchase/backupbuddy/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">BackupBuddy : PluginBuddy | WordPress Plugins</a>that show the backup, restore and migrate processes so you can just for yourself whether this offers what you are looking for.

<a  href="http://pluginbuddy.com/purchase/backupbuddy/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank"></a>I'm not quite sure what you specific concern is over:

If it has to be loaded on each site â won't it take care of the restore without going through all that?

If you could elaborate a little I may be able to help with your concern.

BackupBuddy has to be installed on each site such that it can backup each site individually (server capabilities allowing in the particular scenario you describe) â for restoration there is an accompanying script "importbuddy" that is used to restore or migrate onto a new server/domain.

Regarding the manual backup/restore solution you describe â this would handle the fles/folders of a site but doesn't handle the database and also doesn't give you an easy way to migrate to a new server, domain, etc.

Regardsâ¦jeremy

Edited by Jeremy Trask, 28 August 2011 - 12:24 PM.

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."

#5 mlhblogs

mlhblogs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 06:24 PM

Jeremy

Thanks â I wasn't insulted just confused. I checked on server buddy and it does include "exec" so I assume I could exclude folders. If that's the case maybe the normal backup (i think it includes the import php file in the backup folder) and restore should work as desribed.

I looked and the default is to not have multi site - since I didn't change anything I don't think that applies. Also I think that refers to multiple blogs within 1 wp install. I have a separate install for each domain.

I will keep this as a reference just in case. Thanks for going into the detail I know that took time and that helps me learn.

Thanks again

Mike

Edited by Mike Hodges, 28 August 2011 - 01:27 PM.

#6 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • 11,903 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 06:42 PM

Hi Mike

Yup, with exec ZIp Method available you should be good to go on all counts :-)

If you have any further questions about site size, database size any other stuff you may have seen on the Server Buddy display please be sure to ask and if you do decide to use BackupBuddy we do have a specific support forum where we can help you out.

Regards...jeremy