iThemes Builder Prices Are About to Change

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Detlev Tesch

Detlev Tesch

• Members
  • Others: Sync
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 06:10 PM

Hi

I must say that I feel quite annoyed.

I bought Builder in April and now I get a two days (!!!) notice that prices will increase and I should renew my subscription NOW or pay more than double later.

Hey I enterd into this agreement understanding that it is a $97 per year subscription.

You have just transformed a fan into a very unhappy customer.

Regards

Detlev

#2 Charleen Green

Charleen Green

Sales

• Moderators
  • Others: Accordion, Administrators, All Plugins, All Themes, Builder, Webdesign
  • 97 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:45 AM

Hi Detlev:

Sorry you feel that way. Our main objective to our email was letting our customers know that there will be a price increase in September. We have been developing new Child Themes every two weeks and Builder continues to get bigger without increasing the price. Last year Builder Theme included 23 Child Themes and the price was $127. We continued to add more Child Themes even dropping the price to $97. Builder continues to grow each month almost doubling our Child Themes.

However, your current license is for Builder Theme at $97 and you will continue to have all the benefits that come with your license agreement until it expires. Nothing has changed for your license. We are merely offering the opportunity for people to renew early if they wish. And, customers are also welcome to wait and purchase or renew the Builder Foundation package, if they would prefer to pay less. We intentionally used the Foundation child themes with that package as they offer a foundation upon which people can design or develop their own look.

Please email sales@ithemes.com for any future upgrades.

Thanks and have a nice day.

Char

#3 Dan Turkette

Dan Turkette

• Members
  • Others: Builder
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 01:22 PM

I'm not happy either. Seems like a money grab akin to something Oracle or Microsoft would pull.

#4 Matt Danner

Matt Danner

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • Others: All Themes
  • 273 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:27 PM

Dan -

While I'm sorry that you're not happy about this, I hardly think this is is a money grab. We have a team dedicated to working hard to add more and more value our products. What we are trying to do make appropriate price points for our products so that we can continue to create and support them. We are packaging Builder with one of our most popular child theme series and actually lowering the price of that to $80. We also adding in a pricepoint for those who want all of our child themes, which is nearly 50, at $197 and throwing in LoopBuddy. Divide that out and you're talking about ~$4 a theme, plus a $45 plugin.

We are not forcing anyone to renew their memberships now. We are simply offering that as an option if people want to lock in another 12 months at the current price point. Those that do not chose to renew before the price change will still recieve their 12 months of access to Builder and all of it's child themes that are released during their subscriptions. We are not taking anything away from anyone, only trying to appropriately value what we are continuing to produce.

-matt
Chief Operating Officer | Danger | Utility Player

#5 Detlev Tesch

Detlev Tesch

• Members
  • Others: Sync
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 04:26 PM

Hi

the things that annoy me are:

- to be given such short notice to buy extra renewal (2 days).

- *doubling* the price for the subscription I have (yes I know, my current license remains the same until it expires - but that is beside my point).

Well, yes I could go for the Foundation pack later but the *two* child themes that I really like from all the selection (quantity isn't everything) are not in that pack! So to continue to use those in the next cycle I'll have to pay $100 more!! Hard luck??

Re growing number of child themes: there is another company that provides great looking themes (just not as flexible as I like them) and keeps adding to their selection constantly. They charge way less than iTthemes does for Builder presently (just over a third). I was happy to pay the difference - so far.

While I had been happy to have found builder as a soution for my needs your pricing policy makes me explore other choices again.

Sadly

Detlev

#6 Steven Mills

Steven Mills

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:40 AM

I'm just glad I only used Builder on 1 site and I've already changed that.

The rationales by the IThemes staffs and pathetic hangers-on is unbelieveable. How can anyone justify a >100% increase and 2 days to do decide.

I see all of this "do good" crap and here IThemes has totally violated a trust and feels absolutely no remorse. Unbelieveable.

I'm doubly irritated at myself for getting involved with Rockin Themes (I believe that was the name). The worst treatment I ever received until this fiasco.

Adios and good riddance!

#7 Nina East (Nina!)

Nina East (Nina!)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: Builder, Toolkit
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:42 AM

Hi Steven,

I'm really sorry this created such a negative experience for you. That was certainly not our intention, and to make things right, we accommodated every reasonable request people made for an extension of the time. Whenever we take action that is misperceived in the community, we attempt to make it right. You may have noticed that for a price adjustment in another program we pushed the change back to allow for a full 4 weeks of advance notice. And, of course, no one is ever obligated to renew at the time of the announcement, anyway. As you probably know, we frequently offer significant discounts throughout the year.

It sounds like you have found a theme or company who meets your needs more completely. We wish you the best of luck. Sincerely. Everyone has to feel comfortable with whom they do business.

#8 brantws

brantws

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:27 PM

I thought I would respond to this thread since I am legitimately unbiased. (I'm a recent customer who signed up for the builder package at $97.) No one asked me to reply, I don't work for ithemes, and I have built 1 site having never done it before with the help of the support forum.

Personally, I am blown away by the value for the cost at either the historic or new price. I honestly don't mind the price increase when my contract expires, in fact, I thought $100 bucks for what I got was waaay underpriced. I have bought other wordpress themes that offerred 'suppport,' but was disappointed in them. I have even followed through on a chargeback with one company..so I don't have a problem voicing displeasure if I feel it is warranted. I know this glowing testimonial probaby sounds really manufactured, but I assure you it's not. It's just how I feel.

I plan to stay, in fact, I tell people about ithemes all the time. There will always be people who are never happy, in fact, the customer is not always right. There are plenty of cheap themes on the market, but there are extra costs associated as well such as bad support, broken functionality, etc.

Appreciative,

Brant

#9 Ronald

Ronald

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Moderators, Webdesign
  • 30,353 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 03:20 PM

thanks for your kind words Brant!

Ronald

Join the iThemes Builder Community on Google+.

To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. Please also read the forum guidelines.

When asking your question/posting your request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter your request, the more to the point, the more specific, the easier it will be for us to try and help out.