information

When making site using Builder for clients, are they left with Builder on their site when the work is completed?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 R C

R C

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:39 PM

Howdy!

I have been looking over the Builder vids and trying to figure out some of the finer points before I purchase it. It seems to this newbies eyes that the Builder installation wouldremain on all completed sites. Is this correct?

I was also wondering... if what we are creating with Builder are child themes, what is a good working definition of this, and what is the difference between a "regular" (parent?)theme and a child theme?

Can we create a theme from scratch using Builder and share it with others by somehow exporting it and making a zip file, or how does this work?

Thanks!

Ralph

#2 Ronald

Ronald

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Moderators, Webdesign
  • 29,998 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:02 PM

Hi Ralph,

the Builder installation wouldremain on all completed sites. Is this correct?

yes, Builder is the framework, engine, base ⦠whatever you want to call it and is required to run the site.

I was also wondering⦠if what we are creating with Builder are child themes, what is a good working definition of this, and what is the difference between a "regular" (parent?) theme and a child theme?

check this (not Builder specific!) <a  href="http://ithemes.com/2009/12/22/ithemes-and-child-themes-introduction/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">article</a>, and more links at the bottom of that article (note that child themes are NOT a Builder invention, it is considered good practise in WordPress to use Child themes).

Can we create a theme from scratch using Builder and share it with

others by somehow exporting it and making a zip file, or how does this

work?

yes, we distribute our child themes as zip files. Builder also has an <a  href="http://ithemes.com/codex/page/Builder_Features#IMPORT.2FEXPORT" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">import/export feature</a>, and to duplicate or migrate entire sites built with Builder, we recommend <a  href="http://pluginbuddy.com/purchase/backupbuddy/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">BackupBuddy</a>,

I hope this answers your questions, let us know if you have any other inquiries,

Ronald

Edited by Ronald, 20 September 2011 - 10:03 AM.

Join the iThemes Builder Community on Google+.

To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. Please also read the forum guidelines.

When asking your question/posting your request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter your request, the more to the point, the more specific, the easier it will be for us to try and help out.

#3 R C

R C

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:45 PM

Gotcha and thank you for your quick response!

-------

I do have another couple of questions...

1) If I purchase the Builder, I don't have to renew anything, it is good for life, correct? If I want to get new child themes or have continued support and updates, then there would be a renewal fee...

2) Is there a way to determine in advance which of the Builder child themes has a Featured Image rotator included? I believe that this was touched on in one of the hour-long tutorials I watched on the Builder Basics Training vids.

Thanks again,

Ralph

#4 Ronald

Ronald

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Moderators, Webdesign
  • 29,998 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 04:29 PM

Hi,

1) indeed, you do not HAVE to renew anything. But for support, product updates and new child themes, a subscription is required. If you do not renew, your Builder theme and the tools that come with it are yours to keep, and can be used without limitations or restrictions, on as many sites as you want.

2) The Rotating images and Billboard plugin are included with your purchase of

Builder, and can be used on any of the child themes. Check them out on the <a  href="http://pluginbuddy.com/purchase/displaybuddy/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">DisplayBuddy page</a> (note, not ALL 9 DisplayBuddy plugins are included, only the 2 I mentioned)

Ronald

Edited by Ronald, 20 September 2011 - 11:31 AM.

Join the iThemes Builder Community on Google+.

To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. Please also read the forum guidelines.

When asking your question/posting your request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter your request, the more to the point, the more specific, the easier it will be for us to try and help out.

#5 Guest_Simon_*

Guest_Simon_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2011 - 05:56 AM

Hi,

Just jumping in.

And if I sella customised website developped on Builder as a result to client?

Can I do it?

Anything involved with that? What about the licensing involved (it is opensource as I understand it - what are the legal or practical implications)?

Simon

#6 Sridhar Katakam

Sridhar Katakam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: BackupBuddy
  • 22,262 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 06:23 AM

When you sell a site using Builder to someone, the same rules apply to the new owner as well. He/she must renew once the one year period (from the time of initial purchase/last renewal) is up for receiving updates and support.

Yes, you can sell a site running Builder.

#7 dereknw

dereknw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:33 PM

View PostRonald, on 20 September 2011 - 04:29 PM, said:

Hi,

1) indeed, you do not HAVE to renew anything. But for support, product updates and new child themes, a subscription is required. If you do not renew, your Builder theme and the tools that come with it are yours to keep, and can be used without limitations or restrictions, on as many sites as you want.

2) The Rotating images and Billboard plugin are included with your purchase of

Builder, and can be used on any of the child themes. Check them out on the <a  href="http://pluginbuddy.com/purchase/displaybuddy/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">DisplayBuddy page</a> (note, not ALL 9 DisplayBuddy plugins are included, only the 2 I mentioned)

Ronald

I don't see the billboard plugin on my download list is it an extra subscription? I have the web designers toolkit and was wanting to use it with the default builder theme.

Derek

Edit: Nevermind. I found it in the display buddy section.