Is Baclup Buddy able to restore one site from multisite backup

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ponce_*

Guest_ponce_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:02 AM

Hello,

Everything is in the title.

Imagine I backup my multisite wordpress every week.

One of my client wants me to restore the last backup of his blog.

Will I be able to load the multisite backup and choose to restore only his blog ?

Thanks for your answer

Regards

LP.

#2 Bes Zain

Bes Zain

• Members
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:55 PM

Hi Ponce, :)

Thanks for being interested in BackupBuddy, and welcome to the forums!

Toclarify a bit more:

1 : If you want to Migrate a site from inside a Multisite into any other Multisite OR back into the same Multisite, yes, the new BackupBuddy Beta (official non-Beta status approaching fast/soon!) does that. More info here:

http://pluginbuddy.com/backupbuddy-multisite-migration-expanded-features-in-beta-coming-soon/ (all features on that page are now available (remeber, in Beta, and thus in full testing mode)and being tested/used daily by many and bugs/issues addressed daily too.

You'll use the BackupBuddy â> Multisite Export option inside that single site (more below) OR even simply the Tools â> Export option INSIDE your site to make an export and then import it back in (Standard WordPress feature). BackupBuddy â> Multisite Export will make sure that your Tools â> Export option is not needed (as BackupBuddy Multisite includes and backs up far more settings and files than the Tools â> Export option.

2 : If you want to Migrate a site from inside a Multisite into a standalone, yes, that is part of the Beta currently. More details on its status, what it looks like currently and the status of it working perfectly very soon here in this webinar we did on Tuesday (we do regular webinars to highlight and explain different BackupBuddy and BackupBudy Multisite features/steps/etc):

http://pluginbuddy.com/backupbuddy-multisite-demonstration-video-replay/

(after 17:30 mark - I highly recommend you watch the whole thing at full screen to see exactly how it works and looks - MANY different Multisite features shown and used in detail in that webinar)

Basically, yes, all Multisite features are in Beta and majority of them are working perfectly at this time (even though they're in Beta) and we hope to have the official non-Beta status out soon.

Does that explain and answer the question for you? Please let me know.

Regards,

Edited by Bes Zain, 23 September 2011 - 07:56 AM.

#3 Guest_ponce_*

Guest_ponce_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2011 - 05:03 PM

Thanks for your answer.

I have seen the demonstration video which shows very well how the plugin works.

Sorry, but my question wasn't very clear.

I wonder if it's possible to restore only one site from a full multisite backup file ?

According to the video It doesn't seem to be the case. Am I right ?

laurent

#4 Guest_ponce_*

Guest_ponce_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:48 AM

My question above is related to this problem :

I have a multisite network install with 1000 sites.I want to offer weekly automatic backup to my clients.What should be the backup scenario ?

1- I backup the 1000 sites individually

or

2- I backup the whole multisite network into one single file.

Then what happens if a client wants me to restore his last backuped site ?

In the first scenario, it's easy I just load the file and restore the site.

In the second, it's different. Can backup buddy select one site from the full multisite backup file or do I need to do a temporary restore of the multisite on a dedicated server and choose the client's site and migrate it to the production server.

Not sure if that's clear, but I would really appreciate your input about this. I need to understand if your very nice plugin feats my needs.

Thansk in advance
Regards

Laurent

#5 Bes Zain

Bes Zain

• Members
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:42 PM

Hi Laurent, :)

Thanks for following up!

A : Yes, right now the ability to restore one site from a full multisite (NOT the backup file itself) is currently in Beta and should be available as a fully functioning feature (meaning all current bugs squashed) within a week or two or much less.

B : The reason I say "NOT the backup file itself" is because you will need to make an export from the BackupBuddy menu itself on that one site, and not simply (not currently at the moment) take a FULL Network backup and extract only one site from it.

So yes, you can do it (but not from the FULL Network backup file - you'll have to do a separate backup - which is also as easy as any other backup and is only 2 clicks away).

You can manually (like D below) extract the actual backup and then restore that to a new Multisite, and get the required files from it. That will allow you to use an existing BackupBuddy backup of a multisite to export a specific site.

C : For backing up 1000 sites, you can backup the whole Network automatically (scheduling). OR when you Network Activate a Multisite, each such site will get their own "Export" (currently in Beta) option which will allow them to make their own backups manually.

Scheduled option currently works, in Multisite, only for the entire Network backup.

D : For the "second", yes, you can make a temporary restore of the multisite and then from the required site's Dashboard, make a (currently Beta) BackupBuddy Export of it to move anywhere else.

I hope that makes sense! Also note that the Beta features should become official (non-beta) very soon, and any other suggestions/features you add will be implemented as soon as we can in the future updates.

Regards, and thanks again!

#6 Guest_ponce_*

Guest_ponce_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:15 AM

Hello,

Thank you very much for your very detailled answer.That's exactly what I wanted to know.
Your plugin and your support seems to be first class.

Best regards
Laurent

Edited by ponce, 05 October 2011 - 04:16 AM.

#7 Bes Zain

Bes Zain

• Members
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:45 PM

Thanks for the reply Ponce!

Looking forward to seeing you in the member's area. ;)

Regards,

Bes