What happens when plugin expires and still want to use it on new wp installations?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Demco_*

Guest_Demco_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:10 AM

<span>1: I'm
thinking about buying a backupbuddy plugin license for unlimited websites...
</span>

<span>Can I still use that backup buddy plugin for NEW sites created after the
date my license expires?.. in case I don't want to continue paying the fee for
new updates for a new (couple of) year(s)?</span>

2: If an expired backupbuddy plugin causes troubles when installing on a new wp site/installation,<span> would you advice me to pre-install the backupbuddy plugin allready on multiple empty wp installations </span><span>in advance of the expiring date?</span>

#2 Bes Zain

Bes Zain

• Members
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:32 AM

Hi Demco, :)

Thanks for posting about this. Let's see:

1 : Yes, if your Membership (with the BackupBuddy Licenses) expires, your BackupBuddy plugin will continue working. The plugin's functionality on your site will not be limited in any manner.

2 : Hmmmm, that advice is hard to give. However, considering the fact that if you have an active Membership, which gives you the current (and only the most then-current version as of the most active date of your then-active Membership) version of the plugin, you can either install it pre-emptively on any sites you wish (more work) OR save it on your computer to install/use later on (easier) - your choice. The answer is yes, though: you can do that if you wish and your BackupBuddy will work.

3 (new point): Without an active membership, you'll miss out on any future updates, feature implementations, security updates, support, etc BUT the plugin itself (the plugin version that you downloaded) will keep working.

Hope that helps! Please let me know if you've any other questions. :)

Regards,

Bes

#3 Guest_Demco_*

Guest_Demco_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2011 - 06:18 AM

Thanks, Bes.

Clear now. Plugin will be working after it is expired and can be used on new sites, however the plugin itself is out of date.

However, I ve got this new question:

When I work on a project for a client, I wan't to use backupbuddy for migrating it from my host to their webhost. So because I have allready installed the backupbuddy plugin it seems logical that the new owner of the site will be able to use backupbuddy for backing-up their site as well, right?

Is that legal? I mean, that I am distributing the plugin (at least up to date for one year) within my wp client projects?

If so, what happens when the plugin is out of date, and I have continued the fee (membership) for it? Are they able to update their plugin as well or do they need to get a separate membership for it?

Thanks again..

Edited by Demco, 29 October 2011 - 01:20 AM.

#4 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 12,672 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:41 AM

Hi Demco

Minor correction - if you choose to not continue your membership and let your licences expire BackupBuddy would not be "out of date", rather it could not be updated further ;-)

Regarding your follow-on question, based on your original statement you would purchase the plugin and a developer membership and within the terms of that you are free to do as you wish. Assuming you are considering operating on a commercial basis then how you manage that is really down to your business plan.

One thing to remember is that _you_ are the member and any licences belong to your membership, you cannot and must not sell or otherwise share membership details with anyone else. What does this mean, basically that as long as you have attached to your client site one of your plugin licences then that client can update the plugin through the automatic update link - but the only way to support is through the forum and you must not share your membership details (that would enable access to the forum) with any client - they are _your_ clients, not ours, and therefore any support of your clients site _must_ be conducted by yourself.

Some approaches you might consider would be: if you deliver to your clients and then walk away then I would suggest using BackupBuddy to take a backup (to confirm what you have delivered) and then remove it from the site. You might consider becoming an affiliate and then you could recommend BackupBuddy to your clients if they want a backup capability with support and they could then purchase through your afiliate link and then they become our Customer - win-win-win :-)

Alternatively you may offer them a paid for backup/restore service operated by yourself, e.g., monthly subscription, and then you leave BackupBuddy on their site with one of your licences attached and you support it for them and manage their backups. It doesn't take many monthly subscriptions of say $5/month for that to become an income stream for you and easily cover the cost of the continued membership - win-win-win again :-)

Of course as you say if you were to discontinue your membership then all of your licenced client sites would cease to be licenced at the end of your membership period and your clients would no longer be able to get it updated or have you support them (as you would have no access to the forum) but, yes, they would of course be able to purchase their own membership to suit their needs if required and thus relicence the plugin and resume automatic updates and have access to support themselves.

Hope that gives you the information you need, any further questions please let us know, thanks.

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."

#5 Guest_Demco_*

Guest_Demco_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2011 - 01:25 PM

Well, that's a very clear and complete answer, Jeremy!

Thank you both, I will get backup buddy now!

#6 Bes Zain

Bes Zain

• Members
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:01 AM

Awesome, Demco (and thanks)!

Looking forward to seeing you on the other side. ;)

Regards,

Bes