Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

Important Security Update for All iThemes Customers - please read this

Establishing A Website

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_Jaime_*

Guest_Jaime_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:39 AM

Our youth group would like to create a website for our county which has 3 main purposes: 1) allow users to find activities to do by searching through age range and type of activity and date; 2) search for youth volunteer opportunities; and 3) where youth can go for help (drug problems, child abuse, etc.). For example, if a mother was searching for something for her 5-year-old to do this Saturday that was sports-related, she could pull down her choices from a menu, it would take her to the matches based on her selection, and then when she chooses an activity, it would list the organization's information, picture, maybe a video, and contact information.

I am completely new to WordPress and plugins and anything related to this. Is this site capable of doing this, and what plugins do we need to perform what we envision? Since this is for youth, we want it to be very visually-appealing, maybe link to Facebook, etc.

Thank you for your help!!

#2 Ronald

Ronald

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Moderators, Webdesign
  • 30,520 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:03 AM

Hi,

you might want to search the WordPress plugin database, and ask your question in the WordPress support forum. A WordPress theme is "nothing more" than a skin, on how the content looks. It does not have any specific functionality. So in answer to your question "Is this site capable of doing this"? I'd say "no" (also because "this site" is not clear to me). But to "Is WordPress capable of doing this?" I'd answer "most likely", possibly by using a membership plugin, an events plugin. Only if you are sure that WordPress can do this, it is worth looking into "the looks", and select a theme that suits your needs.

I hope that helps,
Ronald

Join the iThemes Builder Community on Google+.

To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. Please also read the forum guidelines.

When asking your question/posting your request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter your request, the more to the point, the more specific, the easier it will be for us to try and help out.