Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

information

Backupbuddy - Work With This Large Of A Site?

BackupBuddy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Ted_*

Guest_Ted_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:36 PM

Hi, I have shared hosting with Dreamhost. My website is 7 GB - will BackupBuddy work with this large of a site. Dreamhost meets all of the BackupBuddy Requirements but I am unsure about the site's size. I want to backup my entire site to my Amazon A3 account.

What do you think?

I am Asking because I read this on BackupBuddy - FAQ

"server configurations determine how much can be backed up. Script timeout time, memory limits, CPU usage, and hard drive utilization all can have an influence on backup capabilities. BackupBuddy is meant to back up WordPress sites, not entire servers or vast amounts of data when used on shared hosting. Shared hosting usually allows for backing up sites 400-1500MB before server limitations prevent progression. This is simply a limitation of your shared hosting environment - like the name states, you are sharing resources with dozens, if not hundreds of other users on each server. If you have your own dedicated server you can adjust settings to increase its capabilities."

If BackupBuddy will work-  I am ready to buy.

>
> Thanks
>
> TED

#2 Dustin Akers

Dustin Akers

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes
  • 17,898 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:08 PM

Hi Ted,

Unfortunately with it being Dreamhost and shared hosting; a site that large would be a bit unlikely to fully work. Database only backups should still work and there is directory exclusions if some directories of the site don't need to be backed up as often or to reduce backup size to help with it.

Thanks,
-Akers
Welcome to the forums. Be sure to post your questions in the correct forum and don't forget about the new and improved search function located in the top right of the forum pages. The gear/wheel symbol next to the search box will give you more options for advanced searching. Thank you and have a nice day.
PRAISE LORD HELIX

#3 Guest_Ted_*

Guest_Ted_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:01 PM

Thanks for the reply.

"being Dreamhost and shared hosting; a site that large would be a bit unlikely to fully work."

Is that from past experience with large sites using BackupBuddy and dreamhost?

Has there been any issues with large sites, BackupBuddy and dreamhost Virtual Private Servers?

http://dreamhost.com/servers/vps

I would upgrade if it would mean I could use BackupBuddy.

I want to make scheduled backup of my entire site to my Amazon A3 account.

What do you think? I am ready to buy BackupBuddy - BUT want to make sure it will work.

Thanks.

#4 Dustin Akers

Dustin Akers

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes
  • 17,898 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:45 AM

Hi Ted,

Yes I say that from past experiences as support. Dreamhost actually performs near the bottom in terms of handling sites that are not small. I can't say for sure 100% if it would be able to or not on VPS as I don't see as many using it (the only people I meet are those having issue of course, that could mean VPS works fine so they don't have need to come talk to me but could also mean it just isn't used as much).

But 7GB would be unlikely to be able to be backed up and then sent to S3 with this type of tool without a large amount of resources as that requires a lot of time and memory to transfer, both of which hosts do not like to provide if they can get away with it. Most people with those large of sites use BackupBuddy excluding those large files and back up the large files some other way that isn't PHP based.

Thanks,
-Akers
Welcome to the forums. Be sure to post your questions in the correct forum and don't forget about the new and improved search function located in the top right of the forum pages. The gear/wheel symbol next to the search box will give you more options for advanced searching. Thank you and have a nice day.
PRAISE LORD HELIX

#5 Guest_Ted_*

Guest_Ted_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:49 PM

Thanks for the reply Akers -  I appreciate it. But to be sure is there anyone else you can get to weigh in on this? I'm sitting here ready to give you guys my money!

I was able to create a complete zip file of my site with one of the free WordPress plug-ins.  What I want to do now is transfer the zip file to S3. Is there a specific requirement I need to ask Dreamhost to get BackupBuddy to work with this large of a site?

"Most people with those large of sites use BackupBuddy excluding those large files and back up the large files some other way that isn't PHP based."
Like what?

Thanks

#6 Bes Zain

Bes Zain

• Members
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:35 PM

Hi Ted, :)

Thanks for asking about this. As Akers mentioned, you may run into issues with Dreamhost. We want you to definitely join the BackupBuddy club! :) However, we also want you to realize that based on past experience, your BackupBuddy setup may not be as simple as Install-Activate-Backup-Done on Dreamhost. You may end up having to compensate a lot by excluding files, asking Dreamhost to change their server settings, modify some files, and more to get Dreamhost servers to handle your site size in such backups (we've even had customers switching hosts, and having issues because of the previous host not being able to handle such big backups).

You may run into issues (because of the way Dreamhost servers are configured), though with the extensive logs provided by BackupBuddy automatically on each step, we will do our best to help you and see what can be done, whatever is possible, to go around your server limitation OR to ask Dreamhost about specific things that can be changed to help with things. One thing we can guarantee: we'll work with you 100% to see whatever is possible to make things work OR to come up with some alternatives (excluding large files not directly linked to your WordPress is one way). Akers is giving you a heads-up that there may (or will) definitely be issues with Dreamhost, because of the size of the backups.

Hope that helps!

Regards,

Bes

#7 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:55 PM

Thanks!!!!

#8 Guest_Thian Ro Uk Lian_*

Guest_Thian Ro Uk Lian_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:39 PM

Hi,

Backup buddy is working fine in Dreamhost shared hosting.

But one thing you have to keep in mind is that - when you do full backup please exclude the contents folder (in wordpress website).

Do a full backup without contents folder. Then use import buddy to transfer or migrate your site. To migrate or transfer within DreamHost account with difference ftp user is easy. But i never tried between different account in DreamHost.

If you have a DreamHost account, where you host domains and wish to transfer within those domains it is easy.

Just host that Domain under same user name in your DreamHost account (from DreamHost Panel). Then do the transfer. Cut and paste the contents folder into the new domains.

It works.

I did so many times.

Thanks

Thian Ro Uk Lian
thianrouklian@gmail.com