information

Setting Up A Development / Staging Environment

dev staging subdomain wp-config

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fotoandfashion_*

Guest_fotoandfashion_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:12 AM

Hi there!

I intend to use BackupBuddy to set up a development environment on a subdomain. I have not done this before and that's why I would like to clarify a few questions:

I have moved my wp-config.php from the htdocs directory to the root of my installation. Do I need to move it back before to migrate my site to the subdomain? Or does BackupBuddy automatically create a separate wp-config.php within the directory of the subdomain?

Once migrated, how can I access the subdomain with my WP backend? Is it a matter of logging in to my TLD with https://mydomain.com/wp-login.php? and to my subdomain with https://sub.mydomain.com/wp-login.php?

Thanks!

#2 Dustin Akers

Dustin Akers

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes
  • 16,412 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:01 AM

Hi Fotoandfashion,

BackupBuddy requires the wp-config.php file to be in the web root of the site for it to be backed up. Site will still work with it up a level just being above the web root it doesn't get included in the backups (which are used for migrations). Can move temporarily so it gets included in a backup or just upload it along with backup .zip file and importbuddy.php on a migration.

When BackupBuddy creates a backup of a site it is essentially creating a copy of the site. When a BackupBuddy backup is migrated it is essentially putting that copy at the destination site (does a lot of background stuff still but to put it basically) so if there is a wp-config.php file in the backup then it will be creating a wp-config there.

Logins would be the same as they were on the source site as well for the newly migrated site.

Thanks,
-Akers
Welcome to the forums. Be sure to post your questions in the correct forum and don't forget about the new and improved search function located in the top right of the forum pages. The gear/wheel symbol next to the search box will give you more options for advanced searching. Thank you and have a nice day.
PRAISE LORD HELIX

#3 Guest_fotoandfashion_*

Guest_fotoandfashion_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:35 AM

Hi Akers,

Thanks a lot for your explanation! This is what still puzzles me:

View PostDustin Akers, on 22 February 2012 - 12:01 AM, said:

Logins would be the same as they were on the source site as well for the newly migrated site.

I would like to use BackupBuddy to migrate my site to a development environment (on a subdomain), but keep the current site live. So I would eventually have two sites online: One for the public and one for development. But both would reside on the same server.

So I would want to login to my live site and make changes there, or login to my development environment to test e.g. new themes. That's why I think I need two separate logins.

Is what I am planning to do possible with BackupBuddy?

Thanks!

#4 Dustin Akers

Dustin Akers

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes
  • 16,412 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:36 AM

Hi Fotoandfashion,

Yes that can work. At the time of the migration they would be the same (but not connected) because the new site would be a copy of what the old site was at the time the backup was made. But they are separate sites, so you can change logins however you want once migrated and alterations made on one site won't affect the other site.

Thanks,
-Akers
Welcome to the forums. Be sure to post your questions in the correct forum and don't forget about the new and improved search function located in the top right of the forum pages. The gear/wheel symbol next to the search box will give you more options for advanced searching. Thank you and have a nice day.
PRAISE LORD HELIX

#5 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:05 PM

Hi Akers,

Thank you very much for your help! I am glad that what I was planning to do can indeed be done - and BackupBuddy will by my tool of choice.
I understand that changes I do to one site will not affect the other. Once I am done with the development I will migrate everything back to the live site.

Cheers!