Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

Support during Holidays:

During the Holidays (Dec. 22 - Jan. 2) our support staff will spend well-deserved time with their families and loved ones.

We can not guarantee the same level of support that you are used to.

Moderators will check in on the support forum, but response times may be longer than expected.

Your iThemes support team wishes you happy holidays!

Flexx Vs. Builder/child Themes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Kathleen Allardyce_*

Guest_Kathleen Allardyce_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:19 PM

Hi,

I've been using the Flexx theme for a couple years.  I need to upgrade to the latest version, and I've been thinking about the difference between the Flexx theme and the Builder/Child themes.

Is there a rule of thumb you use to determine which approach to take?  What capabilities does the Builder have over a theme like Flexx, or does it depend on your application?

Any insight would really be appreciated.

Kathleen

#2 sridhar

sridhar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: BackupBuddy
  • 22,262 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:46 AM

http://webdesign.com/case-studies/when-to-use-the-flexx-theme-vs-ithemes-builder/
http://ultimatesolution.biz/themes/builder-vs-flexx-theme-for-web-developing

http://ithemes.com/2010/03/01/flexx-and-builder-differences/

http://www.warriorforum.com/internet-marketing-product-reviews-ratings/331285-ithemes-flexx-builder-one.html

#3 Guest_Kathleen Allardyce_*

Guest_Kathleen Allardyce_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:39 AM

Srdhar,

You're just a wealth of information!  Thanks so much for all the links.  I haven't upgraded to the new Flexx yet, and I am wondering if you can have different menus on different pages.  I read that the Wordpress menu facilities are available in the new Flexx, but I'm not sure how all of that plays together.

Thanks again,
Kathleen

#4 Ronald

Ronald

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Moderators, Webdesign
  • 31,410 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:57 AM

Hi,

there is no standard functionality in Flexx to have different menus on different pages (it's also not standard functionality in WordPress actually). It can be done, but requires a bit of hacking and coding.

Ronald

Join the iThemes Builder Community on Google+.

To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. Please also read the forum guidelines.

When asking your question/posting your request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter your request, the more to the point, the more specific, the easier it will be for us to try and help out.

#5 kallar

kallar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:05 AM

Ok, so I assume there's no standard way to change the menu in Builder either.  I think the way I should be asking the question is:  What types of changes must be made by working with the Builder code?

It looks to me like you can do a lot of things without touching the code.  And, that's just what I'm looking for.  So, if I knew what would send me to the code, that would be very helpful.

Can you change the "Read More" buttons on the blog using Style Manager?  Control how the date looks?  and those types of things?   Or, if not, do you need to choose a child theme that looks the way you want those things to begin with to avoid touching the code?

Thanks again.

#6 sridhar

sridhar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 22,262 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:10 AM

Having different WordPress menus on different Pages when using Builder is a piece of cake. No coding involved.

Can you change the "Read More" buttons on the blog using Style Manager? Control how the date looks? and those types of things?

While Style Manager does let you style certain elements, it does not cover all of them. The things that you mentioned, I don't think you will be able to do using Style Manager. Please see this.

Or, if not, do you need to choose a child theme that looks the way you want those things to begin with to avoid touching the code?

That will be a good starting point.

#7 kallar

kallar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:09 PM

Thanks again Sridhar and Ronald.  I think I just have one more issue.  I'm wondering if you've seen any compatibility issues with these plugins:  Permalink Redirect, Social Media Widget, Spam Free Wordpress, Subscribe to comments Reloaded, Yet Another Related Posts Plugin, Twitter Facebook Social Share, Append Content.

Is there a contact form that works well?  My favorite so far is Contact Form 7.

I must have IDX MLS Search vendor plugins:  http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/idx-broker-wordpress-plugin/   and http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/dsidxpress/

Any way to tell if those will work?  Is there a trial period after purchase or a money-back guarantee?  :-)

I should have known better that to say one more. I haven't been able to completely understand the layouts and how to apply them.  Can I assign a layout to a set of individual pages?  

What I'm thinking of doing is creating a Wordpress website, let's say for a company that has 8 products.  I want a blog for each of those 8 products.  Those blogs would have a page for blog posts and a couple static pages.  The static pages would be different for each of the 8 blogs.

It would be a lot easier to have all that stuff in one WP installation so one person could post to all the blogs without logging in and out.  Is that feasible to do?  Would Builder let me assign specific menus to a set of pages for the product blogs?

Is there a limit to the size of one WP installation that would make this idea unreasonable?

You are so patient.  Thanks in advance.

Edited by Kathleen Allardyce, 08 March 2012 - 06:41 PM.

#8 sridhar

sridhar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 22,262 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:16 AM

I'm wondering if you've seen any compatibility issues with these plugins: Permalink Redirect, Social Media Widget, Spam Free Wordpress, Subscribe to comments Reloaded, Yet Another Related Posts Plugin, Twitter Facebook Social Share, Append Content.

No.

You might want to consider using Redirection plugin instead of Permalink Redirect as it seems to be generally recommended.

Is there a contact form that works well? My favorite so far is Contact Form 7.

A few of our child theme's have styling for Gravity Forms. Gravity Forms is my favorite. Contact Form 7 will work just fine.

I must have IDX MLS Search vendor plugins: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/idx-broker-wordpress-plugin/ and http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/dsidxpress/

Any way to tell if those will work?

We have a few topics in Builder forum where users posted about using IDX Broker in Builder.

Is there a trial period after purchase or a money-back guarantee?

No.

I should have known better that to say one more. I haven't been able to completely understand the layouts and how to apply them. Can I assign a layout to a set of individual pages?

Each Page will have a layout dropdown in which you can set a layout for that Page.

It would be a lot easier to have all that stuff in one WP installation so one person could post to all the blogs without logging in and out. Is that feasible to do?

Yes.

Would Builder let me assign specific menus to a set of pages for the product blogs?

What you do is create a layout to be used by these set of Pages. Select your desired menu to appear on these Pages in the layout's navigation module. Then edit the Pages and apply this layout.

Is there a limit to the size of one WP installation that would make this idea unreasonable?

No.

#9 kallar

kallar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:15 AM

Thanks again Sridhar.  I understand the theme much better now.  So, you're saying people on the Builder forum are talking about successfully using IDX Broker?  lol.  Since I can't see the forum...

Isn't it Permalink Redirect that makes the page/post names come out in English rather than ?43 or whatever?  I looked at the Redirection Plugin and it looks like it's most for 301s after a move, etc.  Does it also make the page names come out right?

#10 sridhar

sridhar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 22,262 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:04 PM

So, you're saying people on the Builder forum are talking about successfully using IDX Broker?

Yes.

Isn't it Permalink Redirect that makes the page/post names come out in English rather than ?43 or whatever? I looked at the Redirection Plugin and it looks like it's most for 301s after a move, etc. Does it also make the page names come out right?

I do not know. I have not used either of the plugins and thought that they both are for the same purpose.

#11 sridhar

sridhar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 22,262 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:07 AM

Isn't it Permalink Redirect that makes the page/post names come out in English rather than ?43 or whatever?

Just occurred to me that this is built in WordPress itself at Settings -> Permalinks.

#12 kallar

kallar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:26 AM

Thanks, Sridhar.  I'd never noticed that option under Settings.  One less plugin required!  I'm now the proud owner of Builder, so I imagine I'll be seeing you on that forum as I learn how to put everything together!

#13 SkiLady

SkiLady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: All Themes
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:23 PM

I am trying to decide how to upgrade my Flexx site http://www.uncorkeddenver.com    The newer version of Flexx looks like it's missing some of the grape leaf graphics which came with my current version.   Would it be easier to just move it to builder or is there some instructions on how to upgrade to the new version of flexx.   I think this was installed originally in 2009, that's how old this version of Flexx is on my site.

Thanks,
Stacey

#14 Ronald

Ronald

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Moderators, Webdesign
  • 31,410 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:18 PM

Hi Stacey,

this is off topic, please open a new topic in the Flexx support forum. In that same forum, you can find several threads on how to update your Flexx theme.

thanks,
Ronald

Join the iThemes Builder Community on Google+.

To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. Please also read the forum guidelines.

When asking your question/posting your request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter your request, the more to the point, the more specific, the easier it will be for us to try and help out.