Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

Backup Buddy First Stored On Domainserver?

server

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Mirjam_*

Guest_Mirjam_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:38 AM

Hi,

Before purchase I would like to know if the backup I make with Backup Buddy, first is saved on the server of the site; the domain hosting?
I ask because I have a wordpress site that is 500 MB and when I backup this site it wil maybe 900 MB total. I than have to buy extra sorage from my host.

Or is it possible to directly save the backup to the Dropbox?

Thanks in advance,
Mirjam

#2 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 13,591 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:38 AM

Hi Mirjam

Thanks for your interest in BackupBuddy and your specific enquiry.

Backups are always initially created on site and (recommended) can then subsequently be moved to other destinations and deleted from the site.

For a backup of that size we would recommend using a destination such as Amazon S3 rather than Dropbox.

BackupBuddy does provide options for handling situations where you may have limited disk space available. For example, it is possible to exclude directories from a backup and this is useful if there are directories present that are not actually part of the WordPress site you are backing up or they are part of the site but are essentially "static" in nature (the content rarely, if ever, changes) and can be archived one-time, or at least less frequently, by some other means.

For really tight constraints you may also consider doing just Database backups and backing up your site files by some alternative means (periodic sync to a desktop computer - with it's own regular backups - using an ftp client with sync capability is one option for example). A site can be restored/migrated just as well from these separate data sources as from a full backup archive file.

I hope this has provided the information you require concerning BackupBuddy and whether or not it is suitable for your requirements. Of course if you have any further questions or require any clarification please let us know, thanks.

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."

#3 Guest_Mirjam_*

Guest_Mirjam_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:55 AM

Thank you Jeremy!

Another question:
When I make manualy a backup with my FTP program. What should I backup then?
The hole Wordpress site with wp-admin and config.php and httaccess etc.... Or just de wp-content folder with the uploaded files and plugins and the theme? What are the files I have to backup so I can use it with Backup Buddy when I want to migrate a site to another host for instance?

Thanks again,
Mirjam

#4 Guest_Mirjam_*

Guest_Mirjam_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:57 AM

Thank you Jeremy!

Another question:
When I make manualy a backup with my FTP program. What should I backup then?
The hole Wordpress site with wp-admin and config.php and httaccess etc.... Or just de wp-content folder with the uploaded files and plugins and the theme? What are the files I have to backup so I can use it with Backup Buddy when I want to migrate a site to another host for instance?

Thanks again,
Mirjam

#5 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 13,591 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:59 PM

Hi Mirjam

Let's assume that your site is installed in public_html (a common case) - by default BackupBuddy will backup _everything_ that is in that folder, all files (including .htaccess and any other "dot" files) and all folders (such as wp-admin, wp-includes, wp-content, etc.).

Generally the only directory that BackupBuddy _automatically_ excludes from a backup (where the specific zip archive creation method available supports exclusions) will be the wp-content/uploads/backupbuddy_backups directory itself so as to avoid including any previous backups still on site into new full backups. So you could take the same approach - although as you do not plan to leave backups on site this is not so much of a concern and in general would not be so much of a concern when simply using ftp to download (backup your) files since you are not actually storing anything in that directory.

However, it can be the case that hosts will create directories in public_html (or equivalent) that are not actually a component part of the specific WordPress site but may be more associated with some functionality of the hosting account. For example, there may be a cgi-bin directory or a stats directory which are not actually part of the WordPress site. When using BackupBuddy these type of directories can be excluded (in fact it is geneally a good idea to exclude them as they would not make any sense if migrated to a new host/server) so if downloading by ftp you might also choose to ignore such directories.

There may also be directories associated with caching plugins such as W3 Total Cache that are cache directories and do not (again probably should not) be backed up as they are by nature transient and their content would be rebuilt shoudl a site be restored/migrated.

I hope that gives you the information that you need to identify what you would need to download (backup) using an ftp client.

If you were to use an ftp client with a "sync" capability you should note that this would give you less protection against a site infection because you would only have the latest versions of any updated (and thus possibly infected) files so you might choose to take a complete download each time. This could be overcome if the backup capability on your desktop machine (or wherever you would be downloading to) had the capability to keep backups that would allow you to retrieve a "snapshot" from the past - for example, if you were using a Mac with TimeMachine that would do the trick since you could go back in time for the "site mirror" directory and get all the files from some specific date - this actually works quite well and I have used it myself.

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."

#6 Guest_Mirjam_*

Guest_Mirjam_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:53 AM

Hi Jeremy,

Thank you very much for your clear explanation and thanks for the excelent support!
I will buy Backup Buddy.

Regards,
Mirjam