Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

Support during Holidays:

During the Holidays (Dec. 22 - Jan. 2) our support staff will spend well-deserved time with their families and loved ones.

We can not guarantee the same level of support that you are used to.

Moderators will check in on the support forum, but response times may be longer than expected.

Your iThemes support team wishes you happy holidays!

What 'reduced Functionality' Should I Expect With Php 5.2.17?

reduced functionality PHP 5.2.17

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Allison_*

Guest_Allison_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:51 PM

Hi -- am considering buying a Developer bundle of all your plugins.
All my sites run on PHP 5.2.17
I see that 5.3 is recommended. I would like to know what 'reduced functionality' mean -- what should I expect not to work if I go ahead with this purchase?
Thank you,
Allison

#2 Dustin Akers

Dustin Akers

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes
  • 18,547 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:19 PM

Hi Allison,

For BackupBuddy at least PHP 5.2+ will work fine, that part of it won't cause reduced functionality. The "reduced functionality" is mostly in reference to the server not having access to command line zip exec(), which without it then BackupBuddy will have to run in compatibility mode that isn't as fast as exec().

5.2 with the rest of the plugins should be fine as well.

Thanks,
-Akers
Welcome to the forums. Be sure to post your questions in the correct forum and don't forget about the new and improved search function located in the top right of the forum pages. The gear/wheel symbol next to the search box will give you more options for advanced searching. Thank you and have a nice day.
PRAISE LORD HELIX

#3 Guest_Allison_*

Guest_Allison_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:34 PM

Hi --
Just so I can be completely clear -- you're saying that all the programs will work, and BackUpBuddy will not work as fast as it would if we were running on a later version of PHP. Is that correct?

Can you give me an estimate of the difference in speed? Is it on the order of 1 minute vs 3 minutes or 10 minutes vs 3 hours?

Thanks for your help -- I'm making the purchase decision but as you can tell, I don't have a lot of the tech knowledge, so I appreciate your patience with  questions that I imagine most people wouldn't need to ask.
Allison

#4 Dustin Akers

Dustin Akers

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes
  • 18,547 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:53 PM

Hi Allison,

Having PHP version 5.2 over version 5.3 shouldn't hurt speed or cause any issues.

Host not allowing command line zip via PHP's exec() function will have BackupBuddy run in compatibility mode (using ziparchive or pclzip instead of exec) which isn't as fast. How much different the speeds make depend on the size of the site. Very large sites in compatibility mode can take long enough that timeouts become more likely depending on host's server configurations (max_execution_time).

So having PHP 5.2 shouldn't be an issue for the plugins. PHP version is a separate thing from zip methods (exec).

Thanks,
-Akers
Welcome to the forums. Be sure to post your questions in the correct forum and don't forget about the new and improved search function located in the top right of the forum pages. The gear/wheel symbol next to the search box will give you more options for advanced searching. Thank you and have a nice day.
PRAISE LORD HELIX