Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

information

Presales Question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
-1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_micky_*

Guest_micky_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:26 AM

Hi, i have 2 websites on a shared plan with hostgator, one is the main account site and the other is a subdomain in the public_html folder.

can you tell me,

can i use backup buddy to backup one of the sites, then restore to a fresh subdomain, so i can develop a new site with the basics of the original one, but still keep the original site?
if so, would i need wordpress already installed on the new subdomain?
if not, does backup buddy create a new wordpress installation?
and if thats the case, where would i get the log in details for the wp-admin?

thanks

#2 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 13,317 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:05 PM

Hi

Thanks for your enquiry.

Yes, you can use BackupBuddy for this. For example, if you have a main site http://mydomain.com installed in public_html and a sub-domain http://mysub.mydomain.com installed in public_html/mysubdomain then you can install BackupBuddy in one or both of these and use it to backup that specific site and then migrate it to a new sub-domain that you have set up such as http://mynewsub.mydomain.com with the installation directory public_html/mynewsubdomain or whatever directory you choose.

Taking a backup of your existing sub-domain and migrating that to a new sub-domain would be exactly the same procedure.

WordPress should not be installed on the new sub-domain - the migration script will install the copy of the backed up site into the new sub-domain inclusive of the WordPress installation files/folders of that site, in effect it is an exact copy of that site with urls updated for the new site url. As such the users and their logins are exactly the same.

If you choose to make a backup of the main site to migrate to a new sub-domain then it is advisable to exclude the directories of any sub-domains or add-on domains from the backup - this can be done with specific BackupBuddy settings. This is of course not relevant if it is the existing sub-domain that you are taking a backup of to migrate to a new sub-domain. In general you can exclude any directories that are not required in a backup and are not required to be present for proper operation of the backup and migration/restore process.

BackupBuddy is in effect a site based backup/restore/migrate tool and so trying to use it to backup multiple standalone sites is not advised or supported. It does however provide for WordPress Multisite. This is just informational as your sugegsted usage does not involve anything other than single standalone site backup/restore/migration :-)

I hope this provides the information that you need. Please feel free to ask any additional questions or for clarification of th above as required.

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."

#3 davidv

davidv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:04 PM

BUB has been great so far...not exactly presales since I purchased, but this response from Jeremy is very helpful in my situation...but a little clarification please:

I am creating an export BU of top site in MS to be migrated into the same network as subdomain. Does BUB script automatically place the new site into the MS 'blogs' directory (added during MS configuration), or does BUB create a new subdomain folder, or do I need to create a subdomain folder before migrating...?

Thanks in advance

#4 Ronald

Ronald

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Moderators, Webdesign
  • 30,738 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:32 PM

@davidv, please use the Backupbuddy support forum: http://ithemes.com/forum/forum/74-backupbuddy/ for your support requests,

thanks,
Ronald

Join the iThemes Builder Community on Google+.

To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. Please also read the forum guidelines.

When asking your question/posting your request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter your request, the more to the point, the more specific, the easier it will be for us to try and help out.