Moving From /folder To Root

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_rack_*

Guest_rack_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:07 PM

I was just made aware that some backup plugins ONLY backup the root directory. I have a "sandbox" duplicate site running in a folder while the active site is running in the root. I would assume I backup the new WP site in the /folder, delete the site software in the root, and tell BB to back it up in the root. I need to make sure Backup Buddy will do this before I purchase it.
Thanx
Rack

#2 Dustin Akers

Dustin Akers

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes
  • 15,080 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:18 PM

Hi Rack,

BackupBuddy backs up in the web root of a site, not necessarily the same as the root directory of a server. So if the the development site is in a folder named /testsite then BackupBuddy can be installed on that site and it will back up that test site. The web root is wherever the WordPress installation for the site is, BackupBuddy is mainly installed through the WordPress dashboard though can also be installed with FTP.

At least I think that was what you are asking at first, but the title sounds like you are talking about migrating from a subdirectory site to the main site. Which does also work. You would have BackupBuddy installed in the subdirectory site, create a backup of the sandbox site and get an importbuddy.php file from BackupBuddy, remove current WordPress installation of the main site, make a new database or clear out current one of main site, upload the full backup file and importbuddy.php file, then start the migration by navigating to the importbuddy.php file in your web browser.

Thanks,
-Akers
Welcome to the forums. Be sure to post your questions in the correct forum and don't forget about the new and improved search function located in the top right of the forum pages. The gear/wheel symbol next to the search box will give you more options for advanced searching. Thank you and have a nice day.
PRAISE LORD HELIX