information

Does Backupbuddy 3 Require Exec As A Zip Method For Proper Full Function?

BackupBuddy exec

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Alex Webley

Alex Webley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:55 PM

Hello,

I have noticed a warning when running a Server Buddy check on the hosting server.

Zip Methods are shown as: ziparchive, pclzip

A warning notice appears because the web host does not have the exec zip method available.

This is a concern because of what I read concerning BackUpBuddy here:

http://ithemes.com/forum/topic/19339-will-backup-buddy-work-on-my-site-have-had-problems-with-another-tool/page__hl__%2Bpclzip+%2Bserverbuddy__fromsearch__1

I quote:

[Mod Edit: removed text of posting from Member Only forum as this is a public forum]

I have learned that the web host does not have exec enabled because it opens sites up to potential security breaches and as a result, it could not be enabled on my site. Thus there was no access that Backup Buddy wanted for its fastest site backups, for security reasons.

My question is:Does BackupBuddy 3 require exec as a zip method for proper full function?

Thank you.

Edited by Jeremy Trask, 14 June 2012 - 04:07 AM.

Alex Webley
Life Coach | Counselor | Executive Coach
http://www.PsycheWizard.com
Understand, master and unleash the hidden magic of your mind

#2 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 11,811 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:30 AM

Hi Alex

No, BackupBuddy does not require access to native zip command (aka exec method) for full backup functionality. Like all software, if it has access to more efficient methods of operation on your server it will be able to offer better performance - in particular the use of the native zip command _should_ (on a good server that is not overloaded or otherwise performing badly with disk access bottlenecks, etc.) be able to create zip archive backup files faster and more efficiently than the fallback method that BackupBuddy uses on servers with constraints.

This may limit the size of backups that you may be able to make within whatever time constraints that your host imposes (because the fallback method has, by necessity, to be more software (PHP) based) but the backups you create will be exactly the same. In some cases the fallback method (which incidentally uses the zip archive handling capability that ships as a component of WordPress itself - hence we call it Compatibility Mode as it should work on all WordPress installations) _may_ produce slightly smaller zip archive files dependent on the underlying compression libraries that your particular server provides (this is outwith our control).

The question of whether a host chooses to allow the PHP exec() function or not is outwith our control and is really dependent on how the host chooses to configure their systems and how good their security measures are. Some obviously take the position that they are not confident enough in their underlying security to allow the use of exec() and so choose not to do so - others take a different approach and position. The exec() function itself is just a PHP function and in and of itself is no more a security risk than any other function.

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."

#3 Alex Webley

Alex Webley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:31 AM

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my question - it is appreciated.

Apologies for posting that quote; I did not know about that public/member issue, and in any case I was able to view the post (from which I quoted) in a browser without being logged in. Is there a glitch of some kind?

Regards,
Alex Webley

#4 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • 11,811 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:54 PM

Hi Alex

No, sorry my mistake regarding the post, I got it confused with another posting relating to the same Customer that was on a member only forum (after having purchased BackupBuddy), the one you linked was indeed on the same public forum as this topic, apologies :-)

I hope the information will help you make a decision as to what may be the most appropriate backup solution for you - we realize that BackupBuddy may not always be everyones chosen solution but would always encourage having some solution in place.

If you have any other questions or clarification required please let us know, thanks for your interest.

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."

#5 Alex Webley

Alex Webley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:24 AM

Thank you Jeremy,

To be frank I am still undecided about what to do, bearing in mind the comments of Dustin Akers of Backup Buddy support (which I quoted). I have impression from your comments that BackupBuddy 3 is significantly different from version 2 and that not being able to run exec is therefore not a problem due to this difference. Have I understood right please?

Regards,
Alex Webley

#6 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • 11,811 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:31 AM

Hi Alex

As I mentioned, running in Compatibility Mode (as we call it) produces exactly the same backup zip archive files as would be produced using the native zip command through the exec() function but necessarily because this mode has to rely more on PHP scripting it is always going to be slower. The actual compression of files that are put in the zip archive is still done by standard libraries and _not_ PHP scripts so that aspect is really no different, but the "assembling" of the zip archive is done at the PHP level. But this is going to be the same for any solution that would try and use exec() whatever type of compression and archive file creation it uses - if exec() isn't available then _any_ solution has to fall back to less efficient methods instead of the more efficient native operating system utilities.

This inevitably means that (as mentioned above) the zip archive file creation is going to be slower and so whatever timeouts or other resource constraints your host applies will obviously have more of an impact in terms of the size of site that you can produce a Full backup for and that is when you need to use capabilities such as directory exclusion to work within the constraints of your server. There are generally quite a few things that you can leave out of a backup if you have to and they can be archived by alternate methods - basically you have to cut your coat according to your cloth ;-)

There are other techniques we can advise on such as not using compression when creating the zip archive file (although "zip" is commonly thought of to mean compression actually the zip archive format defines both an archive file format and how files _may_ be compressed within that archive by different compression algorithms) which _may_ be faster on a server that is overloaded (processor bound) or simply slow because it cuts out the processor intensive compression component of creating the archive - but of course you do get a larger archive file, it's swings and roundabouts. Sometimes this may not work if the server is overloaded in terms of disk activity in which case the limiting factor becomes the actual reading/writing of files.

Additional server constraints that may be important to you might be, for example, are you running on an old 32 bit server but you want to produce backup files >2GB - here you will run into PHP constraints of the representation of integers as 32 bit signed values, or if you want to produce backup files over 4GB then you need to be on a 64 bit server with zip archive creation capabilities with zip64 extensions - none of these are BackupBuddy constraints but constraints of your server that BackupBuddy will try and help you live within - basically BackupBuddy will use the capabilities of your server to give you the best possible outcome within those constraints but it cannot work miracles :-)

But none of this is specific to BackupBuddy as any solution has to work under the same conditions - we just try and make BackupBuddy give you as many options as possible so that you can work around any constraints due to a particular server.

A limitation of BackupBuddy some time back was that the Compatibility Mode did not support directory exclusions and so you had to manage your on-site backups more closely so that you didn't end up with a new Full backup including a previous full backup that was still stored on site and it could also make backups much larger if there were directories that you wanted to exclude but couldn't. So this didn't impact the actual creation of backups but could lead to problems if the backups were not managed properly or there was a lot of stuff on the site not actually part of the site.

However, for some time now (in BackupBuddy Version 2) there has been an option for zip archive creation in which Compatibility Mode _does_ support directory exclusion and so that limitation was removed which very much helped Customers on servers where exec() was not available. This capability is of course also in BackupBuddy Version 3.

From a support perspective we are always very keen on helping Customers find solutions, for example, I recently helped a customer find a way to be able to automatically exclude version control directories from every directory of a development site when the backup was made to move to a live site server and these are the kind of things that we may then roll out into the product for general availability.

I hope this gives you a flavour of what to look out for when choosing a solution - not only the mechanics of how a product works but also what "backup" there is behind the product, thanks.

Regards...jeremy

#7 Alex Webley

Alex Webley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:43 AM

Thanks once again Jeremy for taking time to explain all this - it's very thoughtful and helpful.
Alex Webley

#8 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • 11,811 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:50 PM

Hi Alex

Happy to help - if you need any assistance just check in to the BackupBuddy forum, things are pretty busy right now with Version 3 having been just released but we're managing to keep up with everyones questions and reports pretty well :-)

If you are quick and click on over to this post: http://pluginbuddy.com/backupbuddy-3-0-is-here/ you'll find a link in there for a free Webinar starting in 10 minutes (as of me posting this) where you can get more information and ask questions to the team.

Regards...jeremy