Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

Is The Zip Backup File Safe/secure

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_John_*

Guest_John_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:57 AM

On a friends site, I noticed that the zip file is not password protected when using backup-buddy. What happens if somebody get hold of the zip file? It seems they can still extract all the files and deploy the site without using importbuddy.php?

Does importbuddy.php only encrypt the extraction of the database while all files/folders are still accessible in the zip file?

Thanks!

/John

#2 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 13,357 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:49 PM

Hi John

Thanks for your enquiry.

The recommended practice with any sort of backup file is either to download to your desktop machine or transfer to a secure offsite location and delete from the server - this gives you control of the backup and means it is safe should your site be compromised and access gained to your files and database. BackupBuddy provides the options and capabilities to enable you to follow such a practice as you require.

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."

#3 Guest_John_*

Guest_John_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:38 AM

Hi,

I understand what you mean Jeremy, but it still did not answer my question. My question is:

If anybody would get hold of the zip file but not importbuddy.php, can they restore the website and database?

#4 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 13,357 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:46 PM

Hi John

No, if you are not the owner of the domain you would not be able to restore the site.

Thanks for your enquiry.

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."