Customization question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Jackie_*

Guest_Jackie_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2010 - 04:04 PM

I was hoping to get some input on the level of customization that's possible with the themes. We're ready to purchase the Architect theme, but before we do, I wanted to check on building a specific search function for the site.

We'd like to be able to have a pull-down menu where people could search by topic area.

This is similar to what we had in mind: http://www.b-sustainable.org/search_form

I'm not sure how much customization this would take, but I was wondering if this was doable, within the WordPress platform and this theme.

Thanks!

Jackie

#2 Ronald

Ronald

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Moderators, Webdesign
  • 28,715 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 10:33 AM

Hi Jackie,

This functionality is not part of WordPress, nor the theme. There are however plugins that may suit your needs, so you should check out the search-everything plugin, or some of the other search plugins.

hope this helps, a bit,
Ronald

Join the iThemes Builder Community on Google+.

To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. Please also read the forum guidelines.

When asking your question/posting your request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter your request, the more to the point, the more specific, the easier it will be for us to try and help out.

#3 Guest_Jackie_*

Guest_Jackie_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:32 AM

Thanks, Roland, I appreciate your help.

My client is really set on this type of option, which would involve a separate database, I'm thinking. What I'm wondering is if it would be possible to hire a programmer and have it specifically created as an add-on for the site. Does WordPress and the theme allow that level of customization? Or is it limited to the use of plug-ins and widgets?

Thanks for your help and patience with my newbie questions!

Jackie

#4 Ronald

Ronald

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • 28,715 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 03:14 PM

Hi Jackie,

WordPress allows for any kind of customisation, so if it would be a key issue, it can always be done, assuming the programmer has knowledge of php, html, css etc. and knowledge of the WordPress framework.

The amazing thing about WordPress is that it's not a black box, all source code is available, and can be modified to your links.

hope this helps,
Ronald

To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. Please also read the forum guidelines.

When asking your question/posting your request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter your request, the more to the point, the more specific, the easier it will be for us to try and help out.

#5 Guest_Robert_*

Guest_Robert_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2010 - 05:08 AM

Hello,

I like the Architect theme and would like to know if you can link the changing pictures in"featured images" on the first page to different pages. I was looking your tutorials and as I understand the option "header image link" links for the same page for all pictures.

TNX for answers and best regards,
Robert

#6 Ronald

Ronald

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • 28,715 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 09:08 AM

Hi Robert,

yes, each image can have it's own URL to link to,

Let us know if you have any other questions,
Ronald