Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

Backup Buddy Host Won't Play Ball

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_Paffman_*

Guest_Paffman_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:04 PM

Hi All,

Just a quick question please.

I have just bought the 10 licence version of Backup Buddy. After installation I got this error message...

"Your server does not support command line ZIP. Backups will be performed in compatibility mode.Directory/file exclusion is not available in this mode so even existing backups will be backed up. You may encounter stalled or significantly delayed backups. Click for instructions on how to resolve this issue."

So I contacted my host using the Backup Buddy suggested letter and received the reply below...

Posted: 25 June 2012 10:27 PM

Dear Steve ,
Thank you for contacting to us. Hope you are doing well.

Your account "suffolk-ferrets.co.uk"is hosted on the shared server "sunderland.eukhosting.net". And exec function is disabled on server due to security reason as it is most vulnerable function.

We are sorry but as your account is hosted on shared server we do not change any setting on the shared server , If you wish please upgrade your plan to VPS server where you will able to enable or disable the function as per your requirement.

Please refer the VPS plan from url
============================
http://www.eukhost.com/vps-hosting.php
============================
Please feel free to contact us in case you have any doubts in this regards, we would be glad to assist you further.

Regards ,
Scott U.
Support Department.

So it seems that they won't enable these features as it poses a 'security risk' to others on the shared server. Their solution is to 'upgrade' to the VPS at £22 per month (I was paying £55 per year - so a BIG increase in fees). So does this mean that Backup Buddy is dead in the water for me or can I still use it to backup my WordPress websites effectively?

Or is there any other solution?

Many thanks for your time.

Kind regards,
Steve

#2 Dustin Akers

Dustin Akers

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes
  • 17,898 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:14 PM

Hi Steve,

If you already have BackupBuddy then posting in the BackupBuddy forum can get better responses after logging in with your ithemes username/password: http://ithemes.com/forum/forum/74-backupbuddy/

Not having exec really isn't preferred and it can be used safely. If the server doesn't have exec then BackupBuddy will run in compatibility mode which can work but is slower and less reliable than exec. If it can't create a backup right now then can post in the BackupBuddy forum about and with the status log you get when creating a backup to see if there is something that can be done to help it operate under those conditions.

Thanks,
-Akers
Welcome to the forums. Be sure to post your questions in the correct forum and don't forget about the new and improved search function located in the top right of the forum pages. The gear/wheel symbol next to the search box will give you more options for advanced searching. Thank you and have a nice day.
PRAISE LORD HELIX