Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

information

Do You Offer A Plugin

testimonials text widget

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 nlesti

nlesti

• Members
  • Others: BackupBuddy
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:09 AM

Hi

Love your products (just migrated another beta site with backup buddy and am amazed at how easy it is each time!)

Was wondering, do you offer a plugin for testimonials that include something like fancy pagination at the bottom of each page listing a grouping of testimonials. It would be awesome to see this type of plugin that includes something like the (random) text widget on the homepage that links to the testimonial area/page(s).

I am making do with another testimonial plugin that offers this to a degree, but it is almost crazy the way it takes to enter new testimonials and archives old ones. Also, it is giving us fits with the pagination every time we add a new testimonial. I love and trust your code and your support and would buy it in a minute. I don't see anything, but was wondering if you had or had plans for some kind of expansion on the rotating text widget that could incorporate full testimonials. The pagination is key for us as we only want about three pages at a time, but the testimonials (word of mouth) pages on our site actually get the most hits.

Thanks for any thoughts or any consideration.
Natalie

#2 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Members, Moderators, Toolkit, Webdesign
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:20 AM

Hi Natalie,

I may have a couple of suggestions for you, but if I can take a look at your site to see what exactly it is you're looking for, that'd be helpful!  So if you could post your url, I'll take a look then get back with some suggestions for you!

Thanks,

Elise

#3 nlesti

nlesti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:15 PM

Sure, thanks for looking. Please keep in mind that the pagination at the bottom of the first page is not working correctly since we added a few more.

The widget leading to the testimonial area is at the bottom right of the homepage.

http://www.trianglespine.com

#4 nlesti

nlesti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:48 AM

Forgot to mention a few things earlier that may be useful:

The one I am using now is this: http://chinmoy29.wordpress.com/2010/11/15/testimonials-plugin-for-wordpress-site/

the functionality of it is good and seemed to be what we were looking for, but the issues it is creating are not. Would love to use one that comes as close to it as possible. Having it come from a plugin developer I trust is even better (ie iThemes).

I was trying to see if I could combine the rotating text widget from iThemes with something like the one I found here: http://testimonialsplugin.com/ as it has pagination and the interface looks pretty easy to work with.

But I would LOVE it if I could combine the testimonial plugin and the widget to it as the same plugin.

#5 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:45 AM

Hey Natalie,

I was wondering what plugin you were using!  It's a cool plugin, but, from what I can tell on his site, he hasn't updated it or anything since 2010.  I know WordPress has updated since then, so if he isn't updating his code, that could explain the issue you're having.

Unfortunately, we don't have a plugin that combines the widget and the page set up.  We do have Rotating Text, as you mentioned, and you should be able to use it with that other plugin you found.  I looked at their page, too.  Before you buy it, I would make sure it's been updated recently and the developer is available for questions.  

You could also combine Rotating Text with something like LoopBuddy.  You can create your testimonials as post with a category of testimonials (or whatever you'd like).  That way you'd have the category page for those to use as your testimonials page, then you can use LoopBuddy to exclude any posts with the category of testimonials from your news page.  Something like that.

Hope this helped some.

Thanks,

Elise

#6 nlesti

nlesti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:48 PM

That sounds good and all good advice. it makes me slightly nervous to use plugins (especially paid ones) where the updates are few and far between and often times the developer is MIA. I would prefer to use ones I trust.

Just a few questions if I go down the road of rotating text and Loop Buddy.

1) Re rotating text. Can I use that as a widget?

2) Re Loop Buddy: Let me make sure I understand what you are saying:  I create each testimonial as a separate post/s (?) with a category of testimonial and therefore I have a page/archive for my testimonials. This page can show as many as I choose on it with some kind of pagination at the bottom. So I could only show say 3 pages with 15 posts on each testimonial page.

So, what I am trying to figure out is how Loop buddy really is different than say just putting all my testimonials as a post with category of testimonials (and not news).  Which I know I can do, but was trying to find something that was easy to manage and style fairly easily for the client etc.

Ok, It says that LB can display by category (good) and can display pagination (good). I can choose the sort order and number of items (good).

I think what I am not getting is how and where to use the LB shortcode to display the content. The category of testimonial becomes the equivalent of what I have with the news page so where am I putting the shortcode?And, I want to use LB to include the category of testimonials, don't I?

I watched the Loop buddy videos but am not really clear as to how it would help me make this different than just using posts. And, I am using Genesis so I know it plays well with iThemes, but would love to see if I can use LB for this, but not really sure how it lets me get close to what I have now with that testimonial plugin.

I May be getting into a bit of a support after purchase questions with this, but wanted to check to see if it would be worth it for me to try this as opposed to just trying to get the area to work as a testimonial post area.

Any final help/advice would be appreciated! I am leaning toward Rotating text regardless, if I make sure it can be used in a widget.

Thanks!
N

#7 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:21 PM

Hi Natalie,

Think I've got some answers for you!
  • Yes, you can use Rotating Text as a widget!
  • Let me show you how I'm talking about using LoopBuddy:  http://elise.internal.ithemes.com/ (please keep in mind I use this site to try and replicate and solve the issues people are having in the forum, please don't judge me based on my site. :) And for future readers - this site changes often so may not be set up this way when  you read this. )
So what I've done is I've used Rotating Text in my sidebar widget area and it links to the testimonials category page.  If you look at my news page, you'll notice none of the Testimonial posts are displayed there!  The news page on your site is (I believe) your blog and I'm assuming you don't necessarily want the testimonials posting in your newsfeed.  That's what I used LoopBuddy for.  

So, you could just use a News category page as well instead of having to use LoopBuddy, but this way you don't have to have the category tag in your url (ex:  yourdomain.com/news vs yourdomain.com/category/news).  You still have "category" (though you can change what exactly this says in your permalinks settings) for the testimonials page!

And I didn't use the LoopBuddy shortcode for this.  I just checked the "Enable LoopBuddy" box on the news page and have edited my query to exclude the testimonials category.  

I hope this has answered at least some of your questions!

Thanks,

Elise

#8 nlesti

nlesti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:25 PM

Elise

This is what I mean when I say I love using iThemes. This kind of responsive feedback is just great. Seeing this with your explanation really helps me understand it.

Final - I promise - question. If I did this would I have to redo the way I have the news section set up? Or could I just the LB to include the testimonial area?

I still need to decide what route I am going to take, but Rotating Text buddy is a must. That is going to work perfectly. And if LB doesn't work for this, I can see another site where it may come in very helpful.

Since I won't bother you again after that last question, thanks so much in advance for all your help and feedback!
N

#9 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:32 PM

Hey Natalie,

I'm happy to answer questions, not a problem.

I can't say yes or no for sure as I don't know how you have your news page set up, but it really shouldn't cause any major changes.  You'd simple install LoopBuddy, setup your query the way you want it, then enable it on that page.  Like I said, can't guarantee that you won't have to do more, but it really should be that simple!

Feel free to ask if you have any more questions! :)

Thanks,

Elise