Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

Using Backup Buddy With Instantwp

windows local migration cloning

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_JF_*

Guest_JF_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:31 PM

Hi

Any reported problems, successes, or recommendations as far as using BackupBuddy with InstantWP:

http://www.instantwp.com/

Specifically I want to migrate from my InstantWP local site to a live site at HostPapa.

Being able to open the backups in InstantWP, essentially cloning the site, would also be good.

Thanks!

#2 Dustin Akers

Dustin Akers

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes
  • 18,547 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:55 AM

Hi JF,

I'm not sure if anyone has used it before or not with BackupBuddy so I'm not familiar with InstantWP. It sounds similar to things like XAMPP that auto sets up WordPress and will probably work.

Thanks,
-Akers
Welcome to the forums. Be sure to post your questions in the correct forum and don't forget about the new and improved search function located in the top right of the forum pages. The gear/wheel symbol next to the search box will give you more options for advanced searching. Thank you and have a nice day.
PRAISE LORD HELIX

#3 Guest_JF_*

Guest_JF_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:18 PM

Thanks: So I should probably follow the instructions for a Windows type install with that zip and exe file? Uh, where are those instructions again? ;-)

#4 Dustin Akers

Dustin Akers

• Moderators
  • 18,547 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:27 PM

Hi JF,

If using a windows server then yes you would want to see about using the zip.exeand unzip.exe so can have native zip, lets BackupBuddy run in faster modes than compatibility modes. If that is what you were talking about. Probably would have to check with host to make sure the servers knows to look for it and use it though.

The zip.exe isn't required exactly unless the site is really large, then it could use the faster mode to run faster.

Thanks,
-Akers
Welcome to the forums. Be sure to post your questions in the correct forum and don't forget about the new and improved search function located in the top right of the forum pages. The gear/wheel symbol next to the search box will give you more options for advanced searching. Thank you and have a nice day.
PRAISE LORD HELIX

#5 Guest_Alanf_*

Guest_Alanf_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:32 AM

Guest _JF_*

What happened, did you try backupbuddy with instantwp and did it work? Any problems?

#6 Dustin Akers

Dustin Akers

• Moderators
  • 18,547 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:16 AM

Hi Alanf,

No one has reported if it works for them, but it will probably work. At least as much as other local server stuff does by default.

Thanks,
-Akers
PRAISE LORD HELIX

#7 Guest_imacg_*

Guest_imacg_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:37 AM

Hi Guys,

I found this while looking for how to install windows zip.exe in to instant WP so that I can back up compressed and then clone reasonably large sites...  has anyone installed this to InstanWP or other such development environment.

I an a HUGE fan of BackupBuddy, how on earth could I manage without it...??

#8 imacg

imacg

• Members
  • Others: All Plugins, BackupBuddy
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:06 AM

Hi Guys,

I use instantWP a  lot - and I'm a HUGE BaackupBuddy fan, it is a lifesaver, and time-saver extordinaire..

I was coming across the zip file error when backing up on InstantWP, but just appear to have resolved it very easily..

following the instructions here - http://ithemes.com/codex/page/BackupBuddy:_Frequent_Support_Issues#Compatibility_Mode

I downloaded the zip.exe, and in the read me it states..

zip.exe:

Zip.exe is used by the main BackupBuddy
plugin for creating full and DB only backups.
Please (place..?) zip.exe in the web root directory of
your WordPress install.  This is the same
directory where index.php and wp-config.php
reside.

unzip.exe:

Unzip.exe is used by importbuddy.php when
importing/migrating a site. Place unzip.exe
in the same directory as importbuddy.php on
the destination server.

I just put them both in the WordPress directory in instantWP, ran BackupBuddy again and problem resolved, it seems to be zipping away on a backup.

Next step is to then create a new install - call it wordpress-copy, or newsite or whatever,

Create a new database for the new site in Instant WP, then copy the newly created backup folder (either download from the backupbuddy admin dashboard on your site or find it in wp-content/uploads/backupbuddy_backups folder and copy from there) and also add the unzip.exe, plus importbuddy.php (download from admin and copy in from downloads folder) into the new folder,

Run the importbuddy.php and it should all be recreated right there for you.. I just tried it and it worked a treat..

hope that helps..