Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

Remote Server --> Localhost --> Remote Server --> Localhost

WAMP LocalHost hostgator

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Brian Valentine_*

Guest_Brian Valentine_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:52 AM

I'm curious if I can pull down a site for a client from their host, let's say Host Gator here. Once I've pulled down the remote site, I can make tweaks and changes to their existing site on my WAMP stack, and then send it back up to the remote server (hostgator). Without having to hack permalinks, databases, htaccess file etc.

Can this plug do that?

I've bought and tried almost every backup plugin on the market and I need this specific function, for a plugin to allow me to do round trips.

Remote Server --> Localhost --> Remote Server --> Localhost

I'm not speaking developing on a WAMP stack first, and then sending the final design up to a clients server. I need to start remotely then hack some file, speed up there site, optimize CSS and re-upload back to there host.

I'm familiar with manually editing databases, htaccess etc. so if I have to make 1 or 2 tweaks that's cool. But if I'm going to have to manually change everything then that's a different story.

Thank you in advance

Brian Valentine

#2 Dustin Akers

Dustin Akers

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes
  • 17,898 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:51 AM

Hi Brian,

BackupBuddy can do that. You can create a full backup of the live site, migrate it to the localhost development spot, create a full backup of the localhost site after the changes have been made, and migrate it to the live site.

Each migration does need the previous WordPress installation removed and a blank database to import to each time though (either blank out the old database or a new one created). BackupBuddy can't merge sites if there were only a few changes on the dev site that you want applied to the live site, it completely replaces the current site with the site in the backup file.

Thanks,
-Akers
Welcome to the forums. Be sure to post your questions in the correct forum and don't forget about the new and improved search function located in the top right of the forum pages. The gear/wheel symbol next to the search box will give you more options for advanced searching. Thank you and have a nice day.
PRAISE LORD HELIX

#3 Guest_Richard_*

Guest_Richard_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:48 AM

Hi Akers,

Is there anything else that you need to do, or a tutorial on how to take a live site to a WAMP server using backupbuddy? I have backup buddy 3.0, but I remember even earlier versions having trouble with this. What do you recommend? Not a lot of info on how to do this using backup buddy in reverse. When I try to run it this way I just get buddypress crashing after the second 'restore' step.

Cheers!

#4 Dustin Akers

Dustin Akers

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes
  • 17,898 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:17 AM

Hi Richard,

If you already have an up to date version of BackupBuddy you can login to the forums with your ithemes username/password and make a thread about your issue in the BackupBuddy forums. When you do be sure to explain the issue as much as you can, any error messages you get, any logs for the steps in question you can get, and what you've already tried. Screenshots can help explain what is happening if easier to show that way.

Thanks,
-Akers
Welcome to the forums. Be sure to post your questions in the correct forum and don't forget about the new and improved search function located in the top right of the forum pages. The gear/wheel symbol next to the search box will give you more options for advanced searching. Thank you and have a nice day.
PRAISE LORD HELIX