Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

information

Backing Up A Very Large Wp Database And Files

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_David Howlett_*

Guest_David Howlett_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:21 AM

Hi there,

My website http://www.reallysimpleseo.com/ runs on WordPress and I'm looking for an ongoing backup solution. The question I have relates to how Backupbuddy will work with very large files. My database is getting on for a GB and all the other files amount to around 7GB. Some other backup plugins are crashing the site because it overloads the memory, even though it is running on a VPS, with extra memory for the database.

Can you let me know how Backupbuddy will work in this situation and what is the best backup medium.

Cheers,
David

#2 sridhar

sridhar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: BackupBuddy
  • 22,262 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:21 AM

I will pass on this to my colleagues who are more knowledgeable about BackupBuddy.

In the meantime I want to share my recent experience as a user.

I took a full backup of one of my client's sites and it turned out to be 9 GB. Even though there were no errors reported during the bacukp process, the zip file was marked as bad. I was informed that with a backup zip of that size, the PHP ZipArchive library (which is used to handle backup zips for the Integrity Check) will not be able to handle it and I realized that even though it was marked bad it was actually fine. I sent the file to the destination from within BackupBuddy but only 1.9 GB of it reached. Luckily the destination happened to be on the same server, in another directory. Therefore I used cPanel file manager to copy the file to destination directory. Uploaded importbuddy.php and went through the steps but it failed. Then I use the zip extraction option in cPanel file manager and again ran ImportBuddy this time, selecting the option to not unzip the archive. In the end everything went just fine.

#3 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 13,591 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:41 AM

Hi David

With large sites such as you mention your focus should be on whether your server supports the use of the native command line utilities for making a dump of the database and creating a zip archive file through the PHP exec() function. PHP memory allocation isn't specifically an issue if this is the case - whether or not database server memory is an issue is independent of BackupBuddy, if the native command line utilities fail when used through the shell then that is a server issue and not something any PHP application/plugin can do anything about. Furthermore having a VPS is no particular indicator of capability in itself - in this case it would have to be a 64 bit machine, with a native 64 bit installation of PHP and you would need a recent zip utility version with at least zip64 extensions and your server would have to be configurable to the extent of giving the backup scripts enough time to be able to execute the backup process - the database dump phase is usually quite fast (even with a large database) because there really isn't much computation involved but creating a large zip archive is both processor and (to a lesser extent) disk intensive.

As Sridihar describes even with the basics in place there will still be areas that are challenged  for the larger backup sizes, the ZipArchive one mentioned being a PHP library limitation which can be machine dependent. Also moving files around can depend on service provider limits so you would need to investigate those aspects as well.

So in essence, if your server has the right resources and capabilities then BackupBuddy will be able to marshal them but if that is not the case then you are always going to struggle. One of the advantages of BackupBuddy is that it has a lot of flexibility and options to help try and manage different situations and the support forum is always available to advise on how to make best use of BackupBuddy.

Looking at it from a slightly different perspective, when we see database sizes and site sizes like that mentioned the first question we normally ask is why are they so large, do they need to be that large and can you take a divide and conquer approach to make things more manageable. We often see huge tables that really don't have to be backed up or should be otherwise limited in size and also large volumes of effectively "static" data that doesn't have to be included in every backup - it's all about making the most efficient use of your resources and cutting your coat to fit your cloth :-)

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."

#4 Guest_Juan Lopez_*

Guest_Juan Lopez_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:52 AM

View PostJeremy Trask, on 06 August 2012 - 02:41 AM, said:

Looking at it from a slightly different perspective, when we see database sizes and site sizes like that mentioned the first question we normally ask is why are they so large, do they need to be that large and can you take a divide and conquer approach to make things more manageable. We often see huge tables that really don't have to be backed up or should be otherwise limited in size and also large volumes of effectively "static" data that doesn't have to be included in every backup - it's all about making the most efficient use of your resources and cutting your coat to fit your cloth :-)

Regards...jeremy
How much do you think database optimization could save if done right? Enough to make a 9 GB database more "manageable"?

How about a PHP that splits the database process -if it fails-, and continues in about X amount of hours to import the rest of the tables. The process could be optimized by following said database optimization protocol. I mean treating the tables in away that the most important tables are updated first.

I get the divide and conquer concept, but automation is also key here. No? After all the backup script is failing in some area. Whether it's server issue or not, perhaps newer versions could avoid such issues.

No disrespect though. I believe it's a wonderful tool and the S3 migration is flawless.

Thank you.
JL

#5 Guest_Juan Lopez_*

Guest_Juan Lopez_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:07 PM

OK, so I tried it twice now, I was able to use the php.ini approach. One with max exec time at 0 and the other at 18000. Both times, the database import was stuck at 179.8 MB from a 217 MB database size. I even left it running an hour extra after it hit that mark yet no progress in the database itself.

The last command run from the importer was:
exec() command (password hidden) `PATH=$PATH:/usr/bin/:/usr/local/bin/:usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin/:/usr/sbin/:/sbin/:/usr/:/bin/; /usr/bin/mysql --host=localhost --user=database_user --password=*HIDDEN* --default_character_set utf8 database_name < /path/to/sql` (with path definition).

Any ideas what's going on?

JL

#6 sridhar

sridhar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: BackupBuddy
  • 22,262 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:12 PM

@JL

Please sign in with the username and password you use to access the membership area (from where you downloaded BackupBuddy after purchase), and post your support request/question in the BackupBuddy support forum: http://ithemes.com/forum/forum/74-backupbuddy/

#7 Daniel Feldman

Daniel Feldman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:02 PM

I had the same issue. Every backup timed out and came back as a FAILED backup. Now you folks are asking me to purchase this software again without telling me whether you have fixed this issue or not. I will say the small sites I've used this with worked wonderfully. My main site however is well over 1Gb in space and this is the one I am most concerned with. Why should I invest once more in this program when it FAILS every large backup? I have 2 days to decide whether to repurchase or not, so a timely response would be appreciated....THANK YOU

Daniel

#8 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 13,591 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:44 PM

Hi Daniel

The condition that you describe is simply indicative of your host offering insufficient resource (in this case, as you say your larger size backups are timing out, that would be time) for your backup to complete. This could be co-incident with slow server performance (low processor resource) which simply exacerbates the problem on your server. Unfortunately, as you may appreciate, this is not an issue that we can "fix" since it relates to your hosting account and the resources that are made available to you by your host based on that. BackupBuddy cannot, and nor should it, try to obtain from your server any level of resource above and beyond that which your host is prepared to make available to you.

We are not asking you to renew your membership in order to keep on using BackupBuddy and we provide information on our freely available Codex pages that you had access to during your membership and still have access to now that can be of use both to those who have active memberships and also to those who have expired memberships but continue to use BackupBuddy. There you will find information related to mitigating problems with larger sites and constrained server resources.

Of course if you decide to renew your membership then you will have access to the support forum if you choose to use it and there we will be able to advise you further based on additional evidence concerning your site and server capabilities. Of course you will understand that we cannot enter into detailed support activities with BackupBuddy users without a current membership on this public pre-sales and general enquiries forum as that would at the very least be unfair to those who have current paid memberships and rightly expect or attention on the members only support forums.

There are currently a variety of membership discounts and there is always a returning/renewing member discount, all of which our Sales team will be able to advise you about.

We will of course understand if you decide that you do not wish to renew your membership and may continue to use BackupBuddy on your sites with sufficient server resources and on your larger sites with an adapted backup strategy to fit within server constraints - or even if you wish to utilise an alternative solution where appropriate, we would rather that you make backups of your hard work by one means or another by a solution that you are comfortable with than not make backups at all.

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."