Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

Update On Multisite Implementation

Multisite Network

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_MamaRed_*

Guest_MamaRed_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:42 AM

Hi there...I'm currently researching solutions for backing up an entire multisite network AND being able to backup, clone and restore an individual (or child blog if you prefer). I notice many of the posts indicate the multisite is still in beta (saw the post from Nov 2011 with the announcement).
  • Can you give me some idea of the concerns/risks related to it being in beta? I want to make sure what the risks are because I'll be starting a service doing this backup for clients.
  • Do you know how much longer you expect it to be in beta?
  • Am I understanding correctly that you can export/import an individual site?
  • Which license is required for a multisite? Is it based on the number of child sites?
Thanks a bunch...I want to get this stuff backed up!

Blessings
MamaRed

#2 Dustin Akers

Dustin Akers

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes
  • 17,746 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:32 AM

Hi MamaRed,

1. BackupBuddy's Multisite being in beta does mean there is some risk to using it with production sites while in beta and I am supposed to say that technically I cannot recommend using it for a production site while it is listed as beta.

2. It will be in beta however long it needs to be, I don't have any expected timeline for when it is to leave it right now.

3. Yes it can do that. It can export subsites to standalone and can bring standalone sites into the network. To clone/duplicate can export then import it back in. The BackupBuddy Multisite beta has come a long way but biggest part that is still in beta would be full network migrations. The mass database text replacement feature in BackupBuddy's Server Information page can be used to help for that though.

4. A license is used for the network admin site so would be one license for a multsite network, how many more you need after that is up to you on how many other separate sites you have. If the subsites get exported out as a standalone site then it would need its own license naturally.

Thanks,
-Akers
Welcome to the forums. Be sure to post your questions in the correct forum and don't forget about the new and improved search function located in the top right of the forum pages. The gear/wheel symbol next to the search box will give you more options for advanced searching. Thank you and have a nice day.
PRAISE LORD HELIX

#3 Guest_MamaRed_*

Guest_MamaRed_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:03 AM

Hi Akers

Thanks soooo much for responding, truly much appreciated! I'm rather new to this concept of a multi-site network and have been using a playground area to test it out. I like it (well, at least I like the use of it via the WP Empire Builder plugin!) and can definitely see how much easier it is, even with a small group of sites. The back up thing has been my concern because I've had the unfortunate experience of having sites going down and data drives go "missing".

Other than losing all the sites, the worst case scenario I could see is the ability to at least back up the the entire network. Will BB do that with a level of reliability?

And thanks for clarifying the license thing? Which button do I click to purchase?

Blessings
MamaRed

#4 Dustin Akers

Dustin Akers

• Moderators
  • 17,746 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:09 AM

Hi MamaRed,

All BackupBuddy Multisite is in beta so caution is reccommended. Full backing up and restoring of Multisite to the same server appears to be reliable at this point (though still in beta), but migration to a new server/URL could have some issues. Also Multisite backups/restores use significantly more resources so can run into timeout issues more easily on slower hosts or shared hosting if the time they allow scripts to run for is not long enough for the size of all the sites in the network.

Thanks,
-Akers
Welcome to the forums. Be sure to post your questions in the correct forum and don't forget about the new and improved search function located in the top right of the forum pages. The gear/wheel symbol next to the search box will give you more options for advanced searching. Thank you and have a nice day.
PRAISE LORD HELIX

#5 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:55 AM

View PostDustin Akers, on 14 August 2012 - 09:09 AM, said:

Hi MamaRed,

All BackupBuddy Multisite is in beta so caution is reccommended. Full backing up and restoring of Multisite to the same server appears to be reliable at this point (though still in beta), but migration to a new server/URL could have some issues. Also Multisite backups/restores use significantly more resources so can run into timeout issues more easily on slower hosts or shared hosting if the time they allow scripts to run for is not long enough for the size of all the sites in the network.

Thanks,
-Akers

Hi Akers...I appreciate the honesty. First step, for me anyway, is to get the entire multi-site backed up. Then it is to transfer it from an add on domain so it is at the root level. I would love to get all that done before I get too much further into this multisite stuff (smile).

I might be able to work with my host to deal with the time out issue...Is using FTP an option?

#6 Dustin Akers

Dustin Akers

• Moderators
  • 17,746 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:53 PM

Hi Guest,

FTP as an option to do what, to store backups into? BackupBuddy can send backups to FTP once it creates the backup (either manually send them or automatically for a scheduled backup).

Thanks,
-Akers
PRAISE LORD HELIX

#7 Guest_Mike Wenger_*

Guest_Mike Wenger_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:49 AM

Will you be bringing the Duplicate to the multisite back ?

#8 Dustin Akers

Dustin Akers

• Moderators
  • 17,746 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:36 AM

Hi Mike,

There aren't any current plans to add Duplicate back in, but the feature can already be done currently by exporting and then importing back into the multisite.

Thanks,
--Akers
PRAISE LORD HELIX

#9 Guest_MamaRed_*

Guest_MamaRed_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:00 AM

View PostDustin Akers, on 14 August 2012 - 04:53 PM, said:

Hi Guest,

FTP as an option to do what, to store backups into? BackupBuddy can send backups to FTP once it creates the backup (either manually send them or automatically for a scheduled backup).

Thanks,
-Akers

I wasn't sure whether you must do the backups to a cloud service or if they could be downloaded to a local drive. I think you covered that one and thanks for the follow up...much appreciated. At the moment, I'm leery of purchasing a license when it is still in beta since my plan includes adding more sites to the multisite network and these are production sites.

#10 Dustin Akers

Dustin Akers

• Moderators
  • 17,746 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:54 AM

Hi MamaRed,

Backups can be stored on site (at /wp-content/uploads/backupbuddy_backups/), downloaded, or sent to one of the remote destinations for storage. The remote destinations available right now are FTP, Amazon S3, Dropbox, Rackspace, and email (if backup is small enough to be an attachment, all email providers have limits to attachment sizes and with the way email was originally made the attachment limits are usually pretty low, like 25MB and lower).

Thanks,
-Akers
PRAISE LORD HELIX