Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

Support during Holidays:

During the Holidays (Dec. 22 - Jan. 2) our support staff will spend well-deserved time with their families and loved ones.

We can not guarantee the same level of support that you are used to.

Moderators will check in on the support forum, but response times may be longer than expected.

Your iThemes support team wishes you happy holidays!

Using Backup Buddy To Migrate To A Multi-Site Installation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Beth_*

Guest_Beth_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:45 AM

Hi,

I've had Backup Buddy recommended to me for a site migration I am trying to do. Right now, my website is installed on a regular Wordpress installation. I want to migrate the site to a new host, with a new URL, and a multi-site installation. Basically, the website will be going from mysite.com to cityname.newsitename.com and will be one of many child sites within the mutli-site network.

Before I purchase the license and start learning the process, I'd just really appreciate some confirmation that BB has the capacity to do this.

Thanks so much!

Beth

#2 Dustin Akers

Dustin Akers

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes
  • 18,547 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:58 AM

Hi Beth,

For clarification, do you mean that you are wanting to migrate a standalone site into a multisite network? If so then it should be able to do that.

Howerver I must say that BackupBuddy's multisite functionality is still in beta (mostly for entire multisite network migrations, exporting and importing single standalone sites works better).

Thanks,
-Akers
Welcome to the forums. Be sure to post your questions in the correct forum and don't forget about the new and improved search function located in the top right of the forum pages. The gear/wheel symbol next to the search box will give you more options for advanced searching. Thank you and have a nice day.
PRAISE LORD HELIX

#3 Guest_Roberto_*

Guest_Roberto_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2012 - 01:49 PM

Do I understand this right, if I want to export a single client website from the WPMU network it's not a problem? What about the plugins, will it just copy them from the main network and keep the original in place? I trying to figure out if moving to multi-site (for ease of management) is a smart move long term.

Thanks,
Roberto

#4 Guest_Jean-Pierre_*

Guest_Jean-Pierre_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:41 PM

I've been moving my sites to a multi-site network manually and it's been laborious. Would I have been able to use BB to do this automatically? That would be awesome.

Also:
Are you guys planning on having a feature that allows us to backup individual sites within a multi-site network and repair them? I know this may be a ways down the line but that would be an amazing feature to me that no one else is offering. The closest thing to that would be having vaultpress for all my site (costly) or doing something complex with cron jobs and manual db backups.

#5 Dustin Akers

Dustin Akers

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes
  • 18,547 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:45 PM

Hello all,

Reminder to both, multisite functionality with BackupBuddy is in beta currently.

@Roberto,
Multisite only works with WordPress Multisite (NOT WordPress MU as it is a discontinued product). It allows exporting individual sites from within the network, yes. On export it prompts you to select which plugins are included in the export. The original sites, plugins, etc are left in place untouched, yes.

@Jean-Pierre,
Yes, BackupBuddy Multisite support allows importing standalone sites into the network so you don't have to do so manually.

Not sure what you mean by backup and repair them. You can export individual subsitse from the network for re-importing or restoring as a standalone site elsewhere. It does allow exporting the individual subsites.

Thanks,
-Akers
Welcome to the forums. Be sure to post your questions in the correct forum and don't forget about the new and improved search function located in the top right of the forum pages. The gear/wheel symbol next to the search box will give you more options for advanced searching. Thank you and have a nice day.
PRAISE LORD HELIX