Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

Setting Up Webstores

shop website store

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_James Bennett_*

Guest_James Bennett_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:39 PM

Hey Everyone,

I have a few key questions to ask before I buy, and appreciate any help that people can give with experience and or knowledge about how or even IF this is possible.

1) I would like to set up a webstore, and customize it. I Only saw one template that looked like it was for selling online in the themes. Are there more?
1b.) if not can i make some using the ithemes builder package? AND almost more importantly..what level of expertise would i need to do this?

2) I bought a plugin for wordpress called Shopp, can i use that and how easily do the two intergrate together? (shopp is designed to add the 'store' functionality to wordpress)

3) My goal is to be able to set up a decent looking store for a client in under 2 hours..how realistic is this, and what level of expertise would i need?
(I realize that there are a ton of possible variables..but humor me and assume that it's a basic website/store with under 30 products)

Again I realize I am VERY new to this and really do appreciate the input and help that others can offer here.
Sincerely,
James.

#2 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Members, Moderators, Toolkit, Webdesign
  • 5,853 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:52 PM

Hi James,

Much as you said, there are a ton of possible variables.  So it's really hard to give you an accurate answer.

We have two themes that are built specifically for ecommerce.  We have Depot and Market, both of which have been created specifically to work with Shopp or Cart66 (this does at least answer number 2 for you).  

It is possible, with no modifications other than adding Shopp, to use one of those themes to have a store up quickly.  Then when you start adding customizations, products, etc., you start adding more time.  I have no idea what changes you'd need/want to make to the theme.  

I can tell you that I might be able to have a decent looking ecommerce site up in 2 hours, but I have a lot of experience with WordPress, HTML, CSS, PHP, etc.!  :)  Not knowing your skill set, I can't say if you could or not!

Hope I helped at least a little!

Thanks,

Elise

#3 Guest_James Bennett_*

Guest_James Bennett_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:43 PM

Hey Elise,

I have no experience in any programming language web based or otherwise. When i read the pages for ithemes and builder it is sold in a way that makes you believe you don't need to know any of those languages. (although it's probably a good thing to know at least a little about i'm sure..).

Can I use just the builder and ithemes templates to create pages for others?

Thanks for the answers btw!
James.

#4 Guest_James Bennett_*

Guest_James Bennett_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:58 PM

I have no experience at all. Do i have to have programming exp. for using this software? i thought it was just drag and drop for customizing backgrounds, placement of objects such as movies,text,and the other various elements available through the plugins...am i wrong?

#5 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • 5,853 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:05 AM

Hi James,

You don't have to have any programming experience.  Builder allows you to adjust or create a layout that works best for your site.  Builder even comes with the Builder Style Manager that helps you make style adjustments without having to know CSS.  

My point is that if you are happy with the child theme as it is, you're all set.  However, if you are wanting to make major changes or completely redo the look of your child theme, you'll need CSS skills at the very least.  Not knowing what changes you want to make it's hard to determine what you'll need.  

Again, Builder makes it easy to put a site up quickly and easily.  And it gives you additional tools to help with simple styling.

Hope that clears it up!

Thanks,

Elise

#6 Guest_James Lehner_*

Guest_James Lehner_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

Elise;

Can I use your drag and drop platform with any other theme on the market?. I got quit a few of them that work well for me but I like the drag and drop features you guys have.
Thanks
James

#7 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • 5,853 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:11 PM

Hi James,

Builder only supports the use of Builder child themes!  Builder is the foundation theme and then you would use one of the Builder child themes on top of that.  So if, for example, you have a Genesis theme, you can't run it on Builder.  

Let me know if that answers your question or not.

Thanks,

Elise